Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Official Heirloom Garlic experiment. Seeds Vs Cloves what grows better?

Official Heirloom Garlic experiment. Seeds Vs Cloves what grows better?

Planted one row of all garlic cloves.

Planted one row of my biggest garlic seeds.

All the rest of my rows with garlic seed from this past harvest.

The race is on. Which will grow a bigger head of garlic by next early August?

I had a few cloves vs seed this past season but it was hard to tell the difference. I had the best garlic harvest this year ever!

Results next end of July early August.

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (09-09-2017),Innkeeper (09-13-2017),KnuteFartne (09-10-2017),MI.oldguy (09-10-2017),RubberDuck (09-09-2017),shootbrownelk (09-10-2017),Sparkyprep (09-09-2017)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 5,180 Times in 1,552 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post

I had a few cloves vs seed this past season but it was hard to tell the difference. I had the best garlic harvest this year ever!

Your way ahead of me on getting some planted. I finally started clipping mine that has been drying this afternoon. Will finish tomorrow. Hope to plant by the end of the month after refurbishing the growing beds.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (09-09-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Broncosfan View Post
    Your way ahead of me on getting some planted. I finally started clipping mine that has been drying this afternoon. Will finish tomorrow. Hope to plant by the end of the month after refurbishing the growing beds.
    I'm a week or two early but huntin season opens the 15th so its now or never.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (09-13-2017),RubberDuck (09-09-2017)

Don't get too close, I bite! RubberDuck's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 11,105 Times in 4,188 Posts
    we need to plant some garlic out near bug out camp next weekend.
    Next year some leek, garlic and squirrel sounds good

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RubberDuck For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (09-09-2017),hawgrider (09-09-2017),Innkeeper (09-13-2017)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    I'm a week or two early but huntin season opens the 15th so its now or never.
    This year is flying by. I think we will have a bad cold winter this year. The fruit trees are loaded and if my memory serves me correctly the last time we had a big apple crop we had a good bit of snow. It was a nice fall day here today.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (09-13-2017),RubberDuck (09-09-2017)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks

Hawgrider any update on which one is doing better so far? Looks like I will be cutting scapes very soon

Hawgrider any update on which one is doing better so far? Looks like I will be cutting scapes very soon
    Looks like the cloves have more green up top than the seeds right now. Might snag a pic after I get back from Gods country this weekend. Its been hotter than a whore in church since Friday.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (05-27-2018)

Scapes are ready to come off except a few for next years seed. The weeds in my garlic patch are out of control but there will be a decent crop anyway. Can't pull the weeds with a trashed spine.

But anyway the mixed results are sort of in. I had one row of cloves and one row of seed on the left of the plot (The first 2 white stakes on the left). The cloves(2nd white stake on the left) have more growth than the row of seed on the first white stake on the left. But... look at the size of all the garlic seed on the right of the plot which is as big and bigger than the row of cloves.

The reason at least in this plot which is not full sun is the seed on the right of the plot is getting more evening sun than the left side of the plot.

So its hard to say that yes the cloves make a bigger plant. Clearly here the seed bulbs on the right grew as good or better.

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanks for the update Hawgrider. Cant wait to see the difference in the bulbs you dig up.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (06-14-2018)

Thanks for the update Hawgrider. Cant wait to see the difference in the bulbs you dig up.
    Me too. It should be interesting to see the difference if any at harvest.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast