Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Emergency Fund

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TJC44 View Post
    I'm working on building up a SHTF cash reserve. $1on 1st week of the year, $2 2nd week, & so on. After 6 months you're putting away $26/week . End of the year you have $1100 . Don't fall behind, catching up hurts.
    I am interested in silver, where would I find it?

Coin shops, Pawn shops, Online. Careful about that last though...
    The squirrels are lurking... @ http://theoutdoortradingpost.com/

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SquirrelBait For This Useful Post:

TJC44 (08-01-2014)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Imaexpat2 View Post
    I keep about a grand in 1's, 5's and 10's split between three different locations plus I normally pay cash for everything and have 3-6 hundred in cash in my wallet at any given time. Here my primary threat is a 3-10 day power outage a few times a year and usually fairly localized making credit cards and ATM cards useless often times. But the Gas Station or mini mart down the street often is quick to accept cash despite a power outage post haste when it occurs! Sometimes they have difficulty making change and small bills means I can say screw it keep the 59 cents change I have coming back to me, they usually remember that and throw me a bone later and discount something to make up for it. So what goes around comes back around often times.
    The best plan I have read so far, the rule of thumb for wealth independence is to have 6 months of living expenses on hand. If you do not then cancel your cell phones, cable TV, and sell the 2nd car until you do.

Don't think you have nothing to spare or cannot save, usually in a 2 family home it is cheaper to keep a person home and watch the kids than have both parents working. If you add to that the money you make watching the neighbors kids you are twice blessed.

If you are a single parent it really holds true, just take 4-5 brats from the neighbors and you can make more than a $20 an hour job.

If you live in an area that $20 an hour doesn't cut it, then move.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    I know some of the threads I'm bumping are old, but I'm new and just joining in

Do y'all carry cash in your wallet? I do for two reasons (1) in case I need it at that moment, but also (2) if I have to bug-out with absolutely no time, I don't want to have to go to my safe.

This is the same for gold. If you agree that gold/silver could have a place in your preps, then maybe carry gold with you. I carry four 1/10 ounce canadian gold maples (0.9999). Obviously, trading gold for goods/services is no where near as easy as dollars, it's just a backup option and weighs almost nothing, well 4/10ths of an ounce.

If I find the right opportunity where someone recognizes gold and it's value, I might be able to trade each 1/10 ounce for upwards of $150 (in today's value) for goods/services.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,135 Times in 4,781 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I keep $100 cash folded, and tucked in my wallet just for emergencies. I also keep an emergency supply of cash, in small bills inside my home, in a secure location, just in case. However, 99% of my purchases are done with credit or debit cards.
    Friends don't let friends shoot Glocks.

Proud Deplorable

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparkyprep For This Useful Post:

lopie (12-30-2018)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123