Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storing Dehydrated apples

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 5,180 Times in 1,552 Posts

Storing Dehydrated apples

Just wondering if anyone is making dehydrated apples? I usually store mine vacuum seal bags but I started putting dehydrated onions and tomatoes in canning jars. So this year I'm putting apples in quart and half gallon jars. Since i have the jars and I'm able to use the lids again when vacuum sealing. Anyone know if there is a chart somewhere on what size desiccant pack should be used in each size jar?? I have just been guessing lately

I just give mine a short bath in lemon juice to keep from browning. Dehydrated and stored in canning jars no vacuum sealing and nothing else. They lasted until we ate them all which was about a year. No reason they wouldn't have lasted longer never had any mold or other issues with mine.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (09-30-2017),MountainGirl (02-26-2019),shootbrownelk (04-19-2018)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    I dipped mine in a vitamin c water mixture. I'm just being a little extra cautious since our house is all basement the moisture is higher. Lot of time wasted if they do spoil. Done 14 trays yesterday and added the Cabelas caramel apple seasoning to them. Kids really like it. I have 2 dehydrators on around the clock right now. Thinking of making some cinnamon sugar mix for another batch just for something different.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (09-30-2017),MountainGirl (02-26-2019)

No basement here. Plus we probably don't get the humidity you do being more south.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

7. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (09-30-2017)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    No basement here. Plus we probably don't get the humidity you do being more south.
    The humidity is something I didn't account for when I built the house. We need to add central air to keep the humidity low in the warmer months.
    Unloaded the dehydrator and just got it loaded and running with another batch of apples.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (09-30-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Broncosfan View Post
    The humidity is something I didn't account for when I built the house. We need to add central air to keep the humidity low in the warmer months.
    Unloaded the dehydrator and just got it loaded and running with another batch of apples.
    Which dehydrator do you use?

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Which dehydrator do you use?
    I have (2) L'Equip. They have been good. Each hold 10 trays. Had one problem with heating unit but they repaired it.

Quote Originally Posted by Broncosfan View Post
    I have (2) L'Equip. They have been good. Each hold 10 trays. Had one problem with heating unit but they repaired it.
    Not familiar with those. I use the LEM 5 tray.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (10-01-2017),MountainGirl (02-26-2019),RubberDuck (10-01-2017)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Not familiar with those. I use the LEM 5 tray.

Looks like a really nice unit. I hadn't heard of the LEM brand before I made my purchase. I based my purchase on size, cost and warranty. Is your's programmable? Mine is not.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

RubberDuck (10-01-2017)

Little Miss Chatterbox Unclefred's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,574 Times in 1,186 Posts
    We used to have a big one I made out of plywood, used a bathroom fan/heater hooked to a thermostat and mounted on the bottom. We had apple trees and dried a lot of them. We put them in water and citric acid. Somewhere along the line I pitched it and we quit eating dried fruit.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclefred For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (10-01-2017),RubberDuck (10-01-2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast