Thread: How to Grind Acorns into Flour (and Make Pancakes Out of It)

How to Grind Acorns into Flour (and Make Pancakes Out of It)

When I was 11 or 12 years old, I read a book called My Side of the Mountain It’s a story about a 15 year old boy who runs away from his home in New York City to live in the Catskill Mountains. He lives in the wilderness for a whole year, surviving off the land. One of the things he did while out in the woods was grind acorn flour, and make pancakes with it. I remember reading that at the time and wanting to try it. Well, 30 years later, I have finally gone through the process and can now say that I’ve also made pancakes out of acorn flour.
    The process for making flour out of acorns isn’t actually very difficult, but it is time consuming and a little tedious at times.
    https://www.outdoorlife.com/how-to-g...ancakes-out-it

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (10-16-2017),Gambit (10-16-2017),RubberDuck (10-16-2017),TJC44 (10-24-2017)

Little Miss Chatterbox Unclefred's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,574 Times in 1,186 Posts
    The acorns on my place taste ok, like slightly bland filberts. You have to beat the worms too them though.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclefred View Post
    The acorns on my place taste ok, like slightly bland filberts. You have to beat the worms too them though.
    Pretty sure the white oak acorns are the best. The red oak acorns are more bitter.

Plus the whitetail deer prefer the the white oak acorns so how could they be wrong?
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

5. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

RubberDuck (10-16-2017)

Little Miss Chatterbox Unclefred's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,574 Times in 1,186 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    Pretty sure the white oak acorns are the best. The red oak acorns are more bitter.

Plus the whitetail deer prefer the the white oak acorns so how could they be wrong?
    It's white oaks out here. The blacktails love em too. It's pretty hard to hunt the oaks though. It seems most oaks are on private property, the public land has fewer deer.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclefred For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (10-17-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 33,021 Times in 14,691 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Red, White, Black, and some Pin Oaks. Some Maple and Oaks haven't leafed out yet. So the mast crop is questionable again this season.

Usually it's like walking on marbles out here
    Keep Your Head Up, And your Stick On The Ice.