Thread: Who here uses night vision?

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,996 Times in 896 Posts

Who here uses night vision?

The thread title is kind of self explanatory. I am also curious for those who have night vision as to what device you use. I am currently upgrading my night vision. I just ordered an Armasight Sirius Gen 2+ standard definition with sjull crusher head mount. It was the most reasonable Gen 2 unit I could find with 1x magnification.

I also think it would be a good idea to acquire stuff like night vision, body armor, and any last needed firearms relatively quickly due to sone proposed actions by AntiFa.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 14,183 Times in 4,306 Posts
    I have a Pulsar XQ 50 thermal sight, . . . which allows me to see and identify a coyote at 200 yds, . . . hogs out to probably 250 or 300 depending on their size, . . . deer out to 400, . . . and the published deal is a human at almost a mile (I don't buy that advertisement however).

It will show me a fly fisherman in a Vietnam style boonie hat and long sleeved jacket, . . . fly fishing at 350 yds.

It will show me 3 dudes in a pram fishing for crappies at 350 yds.

It will show a mouse scurrying across the dirt field at about 35 or 40 yds.

It will also pick up recent footprints under the correct conditions.

I spent several months doing my best to find a good unit, . . . this is the one I chose, . . . and I am very seriously satisfied with it.

Still do not have it mounted to any of my rifles, . . . have not decided which one it will be that gets it.

Still also having fun learning how to operate all the features, . . .

There is a youtube video where the guy runs thermal against gen 3 NV, . . . side by side, . . . and it was THE REASON I chose thermal over NV.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you can read in English, . . . thank a veteran.

www.dwightsgunleather.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dwight55 For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (10-27-2017),Kfilly (10-29-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thermal is also pretty cool. I know all about its capabilities and limitations as we use thermal imaging cameras in the fire service. Our thermal imagers are also pretty high in quality. Anyway, I just received my Gen 2 night vision monocular. I got the skull crusher so I can wear it hands free. I have a few IR lasers and red dot sights that are compatible with night vision devices. I would love thermal stuff, but I cannot find a set that runs on standard batteries (reliant on a funky charger) and is within my price range. I can also afford to buy a few more Gen 2 devices as mine was pretty reasonably priced, and I would rather have a few decent items over one amazing one for redundancy.
    Last edited by Kfilly; 10-29-2017 at 01:17 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kfilly For This Useful Post:

Dwight55 (11-30-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    I just wanted to review my Armsight Sirius MD Gen 2+ night vision device. I also want to start out by saying this is one of the most reasonably priced Gen 2 units out there. The unit has a pretty rugged build and falls just short of military specs. It is waterproof, has automatic shutoff when exposed to bright lights (no auto gate feature). The unit as whole performs well. Granted, I have never used Gen 3, but this allows me to see a couple hundred yards under typical cloudless sky with limited moonlight. The unit has a gain feature which I can best describe as a variable image brightness. This also features an IR illuminator for when it is too dark for the unit to function. I have never had to use that feature yet. One other advantage of this particular night vision device is that it can take a standard AA battery (or rechargeable) or run on a single CR123 cell (there is a built in adapter in the battery compartment). I also want to add that this style of night vision is a monocular. It is my opinion that it is easier to move on foot while wearing a monocular device as one will not have to always adjust the focus from near to far while walking around obstacles, and it should minimize eye fatigue. The skull crusher mount I purchased from Armasight also works well, but I feel it was expensive for what I got. The skull crusher is well padded, relatively comfortable to wear, and is fairly easy to adjust. It is easy to mount the monocular and there are a decent range of adjustments to line it up with my eye. The monocular itself has two rails which allow it to be worn over either eye. That will be a good thing if anyone is suffering from eye fatigue after wearing it for several hours or for people who have different eye dominance. The night vision will also automatically shut off when tilted up while worn on the skull crusher. I will definitely be adding more of these to my collection.

Armsight Sirius MD was about $1300
    Armsight Skull Crusher was about $250

Both were purchased from Amazon.
    Last edited by Kfilly; 02-25-2018 at 09:39 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kfilly For This Useful Post:

Dwight55 (02-27-2018)