Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What You Are Not Being Told About Ebola

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,645 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauls View Post
    The masks would have to be rated for viruses. The N-95 masks would be worthless against viruses. They are likely to stop the aerosolized body fluids which is the only way you can become infected other than direct contact with the infected individual. Why not run out and get a full body suit with a self contained air supply. At least then it would be protection. If you have infected people visiting then I can see cleaning your home with bleach, but really, are you going to have infected people in your home? Are you going to wash the grocery cart down with bleach before you use it?

People are really scared about this virus - I get that - I may get more concerned if there is an outbreak, but for now it just isn't a big deal. The only known patients are in a facility purpose made for secure treatment of infectious diseases with no outside contact. The virus can't travel in the air more than a few yards so being next door to an infected patient still is as safe as being on another continent unless you are stupid and go out of your way to come in contact with them or their body fluids.
    Ferret studies suggest that swine flu is spread by large droplets and not by small droplets. All face masks may protect against large droplets; N95 masks may protect against smaller, aerosolized droplets.
    The main thing is for those who might be sick wear an N95, as it better contains aerosolized fluid from getting to others. As far as wearing it for protection from others, it is less effective but better than nothing, and more practical than MOPP IV.

I'm not worried about Ebola at all; for now. Unless it enters and is spread by ways other than normal. Think Tinfoil Hat.

Thanks
    Denton you should be concerned,

If it dose get onto the major populated areas, it will have a full week of "freedom" before the Ebola unique symptoms show up, (takes a week to mature from "flu like" to "hemraging" (sp) so even "if" you catch it you wouldn't know)

Be aware, be alarmed, be safe
    Tom Paris : When a bomb starts talking about
    itself in the third person, I get nervous. - star trek voyager

3. The Following User Says Thank You to pheniox17 For This Useful Post:

Denton (08-04-2014)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,673 Times in 3,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pheniox17 View Post
    Denton you should be concerned,

If it dose get onto the major populated areas, it will have a full week of "freedom" before the Ebola unique symptoms show up, (takes a week to mature from "flu like" to "hemraging" (sp) so even "if" you catch it you wouldn't know)

Be aware, be alarmed, be safe
    This sounds like the start of one of those movies. just sayin...

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arklatex For This Useful Post:

Denton (08-04-2014),omegabrock (08-04-2014),pheniox17 (08-04-2014)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauls View Post
    The masks would have to be rated for viruses. The N-95 masks would be worthless against viruses. They are likely to stop the aerosolized body fluids which is the only way you can become infected other than direct contact with the infected individual. Why not run out and get a full body suit with a self contained air supply. At least then it would be protection. If you have infected people visiting then I can see cleaning your home with bleach, but really, are you going to have infected people in your home? Are you going to wash the grocery cart down with bleach before you use it?

People are really scared about this virus - I get that - I may get more concerned if there is an outbreak, but for now it just isn't a big deal. The only known patients are in a facility purpose made for secure treatment of infectious diseases with no outside contact. The virus can't travel in the air more than a few yards so being next door to an infected patient still is as safe as being on another continent unless you are stupid and go out of your way to come in contact with them or their body fluids.
    The biggest issue is the incubation period. It can be 21 days before any symptoms are present. How many people could one infected person come in contact with prior to diagnosis. Even once symptoms appear, how many more will they infect before diagnosis? Sure, it isn't the easiest to contract, but look at how big a deal HIV is when the only way of contacting it is through blood transmission.

My wife no longer works at the CDC thank goodness, but daily I have customers that work at Emory and the CDC come into my store. I really need to stop picking my nose.
    "Glad you called me, No room for amateurs in this game."
    "I coat it with Demon EC, insecticide with environmental conscience. It's biodegradable. Organic. You ought to see the little beasties twitch when they get a whiff of this stuff."
    http://theoutdoortradingpost.com/forum.php

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BugMan For This Useful Post:

Denton (08-05-2014),pheniox17 (08-04-2014)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arklatex View Post
    This sounds like the start of one of those movies. just sayin...
    Well they need to get the idea for the story somewhere....

9. The Following User Says Thank You to pheniox17 For This Useful Post:

Denton (08-05-2014)

Thanks
    didnt want to start a new thread so i figured i would add this here...note: results are not back

http://6abc.com/239735/

edit: headline- MOUNT SINAI HOSPITAL PATIENT TESTED FOR EBOLA

just the most recent story i have come across

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to omegabrock For This Useful Post:

Denton (08-05-2014),pheniox17 (08-04-2014)

Thanks
    http://mobile.news.com.au/lifestyle/...-1227013556746

NY is one of the worlds most populated cities, NOTHING TO SEE HERE, MOVE ALONG!!

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2014-0...o-help/5648116

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,716 Times in 3,587 Posts
    http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/0...ola-infection/

The story says that the patient came in through the ER.
    I've sat in a city ER before, sometimes for an hour, usually with a couple dozen other people and their friends and relations. (theirs, not mine)
    Even if he took a cab straight from Kennedy.....

Chills

14. The Following User Says Thank You to TJC44 For This Useful Post:

pheniox17 (08-05-2014)

Zealot

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,615 Times in 1,621 Posts
    All the "experts" say we have nothing to worry about. That is is very hard to become infected with ebola.
    So why do all the medical people anywhere near ebola wear full body "spacesuits"? Why was the airplane that brought the infected Americans to Atlanta rigged with tent-like isolation wards inside?
    I personally think we are being deliberately lied to. They don't want to reveal the truth hoping the sheep won't panic.
    I'm glad we live in the Middle Of Nowhere.
    Kill A Commie For Mommy

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rice paddy daddy For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (08-05-2014),Innkeeper (08-05-2014),Inor (08-05-2014),oldmurph58 (10-24-2014),omegabrock (08-05-2014),SquirrelBait (08-06-2014),Tachammer73 (08-05-2014)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,673 Times in 3,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    All the "experts" say we have nothing to worry about. That is is very hard to become infected with ebola.
    So why do all the medical people anywhere near ebola wear full body "spacesuits"?
    Even the doctors with all their knowledge and spacesuits still get infected...

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Arklatex For This Useful Post:

omegabrock (08-05-2014)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast