Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for opinions on a all-around good weapon for SHTF..

Thanks
    I own a mossberg 20, a 22 remington, and a taurus 9mm.

I an currently looking to get a 40 m&p and then an AR15.
    I would really love to have a sweet little battle rifle, so I am
    honestly a tad little jealous of ya jbrooks.

I will probably get my m&p 40 first cause I can carry it nearly
    everywhere. But I really do wish I had an AR for ranged encounters.

If I was you I would wouldn't trade anything for anything, if you have to
    save about 50$ a month and after a year maybe on your birthday get your
    12g shotty.

Daily Abuser
    Thanks
    Both are quite devastating weapons to be wielding on a bad guy in the middle of the night!

With a 45-55gr soft point the AR is very effective at short ranges and doesn't over penetrate real bad with bullets that fragile and at such high velocities. It will also penetrate most forms of body armor at that range too, not that many burglers wear body armor these days but...you never know. Double 00 buck is pretty devastating at close ranges of a home, but will also penetrate several sheet rock walls of a typical home with enough mass and velocity to pose a deadly threat to what ever may be on the other side of that wall. In either case a good hit to the torso is not likely to require another shot with either.

Both will get the job done so I think it comes down to personal choice. If you have a wife the edge may go to the AR as it will likely be more manageable due to the lighter recoil. Both are solid performers!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Imaexpat2 For This Useful Post:

Sparkyprep (08-29-2014)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Buy an AR in 12 gauge.
    What's the difference between a crackhead and a tweaker?
    The crackhead will steal your shit and bounce--the tweaker will steal your shit and then help you look for it.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,497 Times in 4,867 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In a SHTF situation, I believe in a 3 gun approach. Primary rifle. I choose a piston AR15. Shotgun. Any reliable, well built 12 gauge. I chose a Mossberg 500. Sidearm. Your choice, but you need a defense side arm. I choose a 9mm striker fired semi-auto.

With these 3 guns, you can hunt many different types of game, including birds to deer and hog. You can also defend yourself in a variety of situations.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparkyprep For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (08-30-2014)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,171 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've sold guns to upgrade, like get rid of a PSA ar to get a colt or something like that. But I don't think selling a rifle to get a shotgun makes sense. Keep saving and get a shotgun when you can, then stack some buckshot and slugs as you can afford it, rio shotgun shells are great as far as cost goes.
    Admin for the BEST gun site on the web! WELCOME TO THE OTP!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RWalls View Post
    I've sold guns to upgrade, like get rid of a PSA ar to get a colt or something like that. But I don't think selling a rifle to get a shotgun makes sense. Keep saving and get a shotgun when you can, then stack some buckshot and slugs as you can afford it, rio shotgun shells are great as far as cost goes.
    Iv'e already started stocking shells... Iv'e enough 00 and 000 buck to feed a small army. Iv'e owned multiple HD type shotguns (Stevens 320 (2 of them), remmy 870 w/18.5in barrel, mossberg 500 w/pistol grip stock and 18.5" barrel) The problem i have is i love to trade guns, I have bought/traded or sold 133 guns in the past 2yrs.. I shoot them, then trade them. I don't get attached.

P.S. +1 To RIO, i'd say nearly 80% of my stock of 00 buck is RIO.. $2.39 per box of 5 at the local Rural King, Walmart has this brand tho that iv'e bought here lately, i can't remember the brand but it is $11.99 per 25rds of 00 Buck, they are a bright red hull.
    Last edited by jbrooks19; 08-30-2014 at 07:11 AM.
    "Negotiating with Obama is like playing chess with a pigeon.
    the pigeon knocks over all the pieces, shits on the board and
    then struts around like it won the game."

Lord, make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be “If only I had my gun”; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR-1L View Post
    I own a mossberg 20, a 22 remington, and a taurus 9mm.

I an currently looking to get a 40 m&p and then an AR15.
    I would really love to have a sweet little battle rifle, so I am
    honestly a tad little jealous of ya jbrooks.

I will probably get my m&p 40 first cause I can carry it nearly
    everywhere. But I really do wish I had an AR for ranged encounters.

If I was you I would wouldn't trade anything for anything, if you have to
    save about 50$ a month and after a year maybe on your birthday get your
    12g shotty.
    AR's are a lot of fun.. I think you guys are right, I probably should just keep it. I'll end up regretting it, i'm sure. I'll just hold off buying ammo for a month or so and buy another shotty, i can get a Stevens 320 again for around $150-$175.. I currently buy 2 boxes of 12ga ammo, 2 boxes of .223 and 1 box of 9x18mak every week. So if i hold off for a month or two on ammo i should have enough cash pretty fast. Because right now im spending $6 on 12ga, $20 on .223 and $20 on 9x18, right there is $46 a week i could save.
    "Negotiating with Obama is like playing chess with a pigeon.
    the pigeon knocks over all the pieces, shits on the board and
    then struts around like it won the game."

Lord, make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be “If only I had my gun”; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jbrooks19 For This Useful Post:

survive-it-all (08-30-2014)

New Kid on the Block
    Thanks
    Keep the AR! You will regret getting rid of it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to survive-it-all For This Useful Post:

RWalls (08-30-2014)

Little Miss Chatterbox

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,623 Times in 767 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrooks19 View Post
    I know this may/probably has been discussed before, but im gonna bring it up again anyways....

I currently own a AR15 with 15mags and 1500rds of ammo.. My questions is this; I use this for HD and think it would be great for SHTF, but i keep finding myself wanting a nice 12ga.. I currently own a few hunting style 12ga shotguns but want a HD type and maybe a semi-auto.. In your opinion, which do you think is a more versatile weapon, the AR or the Shotgun?? I am considering selling/trading my AR to get a shotgun(s) but can't make up my mind...I get the urge to trade sometimes, but then sometimes regret it. What do you have to say about this? Should i stick it out with the AR or ditch it for a 12ga? I am proficient with both the shotgun and ar platforms so my experience and comfort-ability plays little factor in my choice.
    If you're looking for a SHTF 12ga, I'd look at the Remington 870. Personally I'd stay away from a semi-auto for a SHTF gun for the simple reason that they require a lot more maintenance. There's a reason why for many years damn near every police force in the country used the 870, they are reliable and pretty nearly indestructible. Plus with an 870 you get literally tons of aftermarket support for any accessories you might want. Personally I'd buy a field grade gun and then add a couple of barrels. I'd add an 18 1/2" cylinder bore barrel for close range work and a rifled slug barrel for hunting large game. I like the idea of a 12ga for a SHTF weapon but I'd still have a rifle and handgun also. There are other options out there but the 870 is probably the single most popular 12ga ever so aftermarket support is almost as good as it is for the AR. Pump guns may be an older design but they are far from antiquated and are still a viable option today and while everyone has become fascinated with the newest latest and greatest designs those old pump guns are still banging away. The only real place I can see an advantage with a semi-auto is in competition where speed wins or with newer shooters because most semi-autos will dampen recoil.

By the way used field grade 870's are a whole lot cheaper. Look for one that's been carried a lot and shot little, it will have some cosmetic wear but the bore will look shiny and new. I'd look for one with 3" chambers for added flexibility with ammo.

-Infidel

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Infidel For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (08-30-2014),Innkeeper (08-30-2014)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,171 Posts
    Blog Entries

Looking for opinions on a all-around good weapon for SHTF..

I got a Remington 1100 semi and I wouldn't trust my life to it. Too many issues.

The 870 is a great gun and any of the Mossberg 500 type platforms are GTG.
    Admin for the BEST gun site on the web! WELCOME TO THE OTP!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast