Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: What is your Tradeskill?

Occasionally Replies Back Kahlan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Only about 32 hours or so...

Occasionally Replies Back
    Thanks
    earning a living?? after SHTF i'll be too busy surviving to "earn a living", in any case what would they pay me with? old currency that only fit to wipe my backside with? no thanks, i'll be sitting tight and not advertising my presence.

Thanks
    I have a lot of different skills, really good at some, knowledgeable in others and I saw it done on YouTube once in a few. The greatest skill I have is resourcefulness, with the drive to do whatever it takes to get something done a very close second. I know that I don't know everything, and never will, but my wife and I learn quickly and know how to improvise. Growing up in the country, Boy Scouts and serving in the military gave me a base of not only knowledge, but also experience that still serves me well today. Sometimes we just need to figure things out for ourselves, and time isn't always a luxury.
    "Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

Thomas Jefferson

Seen on Bumper Sticker:

I may be an old dog
    But I can still bury a bone

Thanks
    I can fix shit (poop) with shit (poop)
    Tom Paris : When a bomb starts talking about
    itself in the third person, I get nervous. - star trek voyager

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    How can you tell if the poop is broken?
    What's the difference between a crackhead and a tweaker?
    The crackhead will steal your shit and bounce--the tweaker will steal your shit and then help you look for it.

Don't get too close, I bite! Innkeeper's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 7,310 Times in 3,090 Posts
    I grew up working on my own cars, and working on my Uncles Dairy Farm even had to milk the cows by hand when they were sick....never a fun think to do...... after school I joined the Army.....I have deployed all around the world at different times doing different jobs 15U (Chinook Helicopter mech) 45K(Tank Turret Mech and weapons) 45B (Small arms) 11H (TOW Inf) 13P (FDC Chief). Now that I am retired I am finishing a teaching degree and working with guns, while I learn small gardening in my back yard and reloading from the guys at work. I have hunted since I was 12 except when the army had me overseas and fished, I am pretty proficient at both , but spend most of my hunting time Bird hunting (grouse and wood****) as well as squirrels and rabbits. I do love learning new skills and keep learning when I get a chance. I was also CLS in the Army Combat Life Saver, falls between basic skills and medic.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by James m View Post
    How can you tell if the poop is broken?
    Quote Originally Posted by Innkeeper View Post
    I grew up working on my own cars, and working on my Uncles Dairy Farm even had to milk the cows by hand when they were sick....never a fun think to do...... after school I joined the Army.....I have deployed all around the world at different times doing different jobs 15U (Chinook Helicopter mech) 45K(Tank Turret Mech and weapons) 45B (Small arms) 11H (TOW Inf) 13P (FDC Chief). Now that I am retired I am finishing a teaching degree and working with guns, while I learn small gardening in my back yard and reloading from the guys at work. I have hunted since I was 12 except when the army had me overseas and fished, I am pretty proficient at both , but spend most of my hunting time Bird hunting (grouse and wood****) as well as squirrels and rabbits. I do love learning new skills and keep learning when I get a chance. I was also CLS in the Army Combat Life Saver, falls between basic skills and medic.
    I'm just checking your spell check, you mentioned you were an FDC Chief 13P, but I had the same MOS and it was 13E, maybe you were in a different branch, or had fat fingers?

I am guessing the MOS might be different as I was army and you may be Navy or ...

On a similar note I just got a note from a friend in Virginia, she is quite old and feels here "skill" (though she didn't address it as such) was to hoard toilet paper. For some reason she felt it would be worth something SHTF.

Out of the mouth of ... senior citizens.

Don't get too close, I bite! Innkeeper's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 7,310 Times in 3,090 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Montana Rancher View Post
    I'm just checking your spell check, you mentioned you were an FDC Chief 13P, but I had the same MOS and it was 13E, maybe you were in a different branch, or had fat fingers?

I am guessing the MOS might be different as I was army and you may be Navy or ...

On a similar note I just got a note from a friend in Virginia, she is quite old and feels here "skill" (though she didn't address it as such) was to hoard toilet paper. For some reason she felt it would be worth something SHTF.

Out of the mouth of ... senior citizens.
    13P is for MLRS, 13D is for Tube, though the word I got from my old BOC chief is they are being combined and a new MOS is being created..... what was 13E for? I know 13F is forward Observer, and 13 B is cannon ****er, 13M is the Chimps in the MLRS vehicle..... a lot of jobs have been combined over the years even, my 11H is now 11B with a Hvy Weapons designation. The only to 11 series left is 11B and 11C. The army is changing rapidly.

Nope 21 years army, Navy designations are all different.
    Last edited by Innkeeper; 12-06-2014 at 05:40 PM. Reason: grammer fixes

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Innkeeper View Post
    13P is for MLRS, 13D is for Tube, though the word I got from my old BOC chief is they are being combined and a new MOS is being created..... what was 13E for? I know 13F is forward Observer, and 13 B is cannon ****er, 13M is the Chimps in the MLRS vehicle..... a lot of jobs have been combined over the years even, my 11H is now 11B with a Hvy Weapons designation. The only to 11 series left is 11B and 11C. The army is changing rapidly.

Nope 21 years army, Navy designations are all different.
    Thanks for the update, as I joined in 1979 and got out in 1991 I haven't kept up on the changes (what is that 25 years ago, sucks to get old)

13E in my day was FDC in a 155mm SP field artillery unit

Its kind of a funny story as when I joined and scored high on the test (asfab? I can't remember) the recruiter asked me if I had any computer experience, which in 1979 ment DOS, to which I said "hell yea"

So they put me in FDC and for several years we ran FADAC which stood for Field Artillery Digital Automatic Computer.

The CPU was a 80 pound monster with about 30 buttons on the face that you input the data into, powered by a 5KW generator, but put out very reliable data as shooting 155mm howitzers isn't rocket science.

About 6 years later we replaced the old FADAC with a Hewlett Packard hand held calculator called "BUCS" which was the Back Up Computer System for .... dang can't remember.. thinking ... crap I never actually used it as I was NG at that time.

Anyway, I'm happy to know there are a lot more 13ish MOS's out there, thanks for the update, when I was in MRLS was pretty new.

Occasionally Replies Back jeff70's Avatar
    Thanks
    I can hunt, garden, and Have been a heavy diesel mechanic for 25 years, I can figure out and fix most things

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast