Thread: Propane capacity ?

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 16,308 Times in 5,365 Posts

Propane capacity ?

Inspired by SOCOM's last post ~

Very soon we'll be increasing our propane storage and I'm wondering how much y'all keep on hand and it's configuration. Right now all we have are several tanks to roll up close to the gen... and these days it feels like not enough... ya know?
    "It's OK Soda... in this house we're ALL bad dogs." ~Strat

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MountainGirl For This Useful Post:

BucketBack (Today),Prepared One (Today),Slippy (Today),T-Man 1066 (Today)

Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    Inspired by SOCOM's last post ~

Very soon we'll be increasing our propane storage and I'm wondering how much y'all keep on hand and it's configuration. Right now all we have are several tanks to roll up close to the gen... and these days it feels like not enough... ya know?
    At T-Man Land - East (the big house), I have a NG forced air furnace, and a wood fireplace for backup.

At T-Man Land - West (the shop and BOL), the house there has an electric forced air furnace, a corn / pellet furnace, and two wood fireplaces.

The shop is the only thing I heat with propane. I have a 500 gallon tank. the shop is 1500 sq ft, 30'x50', two service doors, a 12' x 10' garage door, no windows. It is stick frame construction, like a house, well insulated, drywalled, etc. The heater is a ceiling mount Modine, 110,000 BTU. I keep it about 65-70 all winter, and I go through about a tank and a half of propane per season. I am on the Chedder Curtain, PO knows the winters round here.

One thing to remember, is that they only fill your propane tank to 80% capacity, and they want you to schedule a refill by the time you get to 10% capacity. So normally you are only using around 350 gallons between fills. I would guess that the shop burns about 500-600 gallons per winter.

I also have two 33# forklift tanks for the forklift. And 5 regular BBQ grill propane tanks. One thing to remember, is you can not use a forklift propane tank for the grill, and vise versa. Forklift propane siphons the liquid and runs it through an evaporator before the carburetor. BBQ tanks just use the vapor. That is why you can't use a BBQ tank on its side or leaning at a weird angle. The forklift tanks work horizontal or vertical.
    Politicians can kiss my ass!!!

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to T-Man 1066 For This Useful Post:

BucketBack (Today),MountainGirl (Today),Prepared One (Today),Slippy (Today)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 27,046 Times in 7,505 Posts
    Excellent topic!

We have a 250 gallon tank that runs our gas cooking stove (LG) and provides our furnace supplemental fuel for days when the temp falls below a set temperature. I have it set at 38 degrees. We barely use 100 gallons/year and top it off every August or September.

We also have about fifteen or so 20lb tanks and three 30lb tanks. Both generators are dual fuel and run on LP Gas.

Also we use LP gas in our camper, plus a BBQ Grill and I love our little LP gas firepit for ambiance!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1828.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	33255

Remember, a LP gas tank can only hold about 80% of its capacity.

https://www.amerigas.com/about-propa...ane-tank-sizes

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Slippy For This Useful Post:

MountainGirl (Today)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 27,046 Times in 7,505 Posts
    Side note about the LP Gas Firepit;

Ask me how to fire up this little contraption, and I'd have to put an adult beverage in my left hand and then show you how to do it.

I don't think I've ever used 2 hands to fire it up!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1822.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	33256

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slippy For This Useful Post:

BucketBack (Today),MountainGirl (Today),Prepared One (Today)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 16,308 Times in 5,365 Posts
    ^^ LOL
    "It's OK Soda... in this house we're ALL bad dogs." ~Strat