Thread: half gallon jars

half gallon jars

So my wife's birthday was last week and mine is Wednesday and my mom got us the gift of 5 dozen half gallon jars. All we use are mostly quarts and a few pints but we use two quarts of green beans for each meal and probably 4quarts of tomato juice for chili or soup. I've never used half gallons and don't know the time or amount of weights to use on green beans etc... I googled it and all the experts say it can't be safely done but I know my grandma used half gallons alot. My wife is gonna look through some of grandma's books and try to find some info. I would just ask her but age has affected her memory some.
    Do any of you guys or gals use half gallon jars or have any information about how long to keep under pressure? Any info will be greatly appreciated
    "I'm a walking contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction"
    Kris Kristofferson
    "The American farmer is the only person who buys everything at retail, sells everything at Wholesale, an has to pay the freight both ways "
    JFK

2. The Following User Says Thank You to hag For This Useful Post:

Gambit (06-14-2016)

Don't get too close, I bite! RubberDuck's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 11,105 Times in 4,188 Posts
    I haven't done much canning yet but I use the half gallon wide mouths for pickleing.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RubberDuck For This Useful Post:

Gambit (06-14-2016),hag (06-14-2016)

Yeah I don't recommend actual canning with them except for no process recipe Alum dill pickles, pickled eggs etc. We also use them for making our water kefir soda pop. Storing dry goods from beans to jerky are some more Ideas.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Gambit (06-14-2016),hag (06-14-2016),RubberDuck (06-14-2016)

Don't get too close, I bite! Gambit's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,042 Times in 5,248 Posts
    pennies!!!
    I only put dry items in the ones I have but my mother when she was young and lived on the farm middle of nowhere she use to pickle( corned ) beef brisket cuts so I can see half gallons work just don't let the meat touch the top the top of the lids , she used word of some kind to stop that
    It happened before, it can happen again.
    It happened there, it can happen here.
    It happened to that person, it can happen to you.
    No one is immune to the trials and tribulations of life.

I'm not allowed at the Zoo anymore...

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gambit For This Useful Post:

hag (06-14-2016),RubberDuck (06-14-2016)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 14,472 Times in 4,371 Posts
    FWIW, . . . my aunt had 7 kids, . . . her uncle, . . . her mother in law, . . . and almost always 1 or 2 visitors for the evening meal.

She did all her beans, corn, berries, peas, tomatoes, tomato juice, and just about every thing else she canned, . . . in half gallon jars with only a water bath canner.

Jams and jellies were either made from canned berries, . . . or made and canned in quart jars. Her big family made quart jars impractical.

I was not on the kitchen staff (weed puller and tobacco hoe dude were my jobs then), . . . but none of us ever died far as I know.

It can be safely done, . . . I can attest to that for sure, . . . living proof so to speak, . . . I just do not know the particulars.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you can read in English, . . . thank a veteran.

www.dwightsgunleather.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dwight55 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight55 View Post
    FWIW, . . . my aunt had 7 kids, . . . her uncle, . . . her mother in law, . . . and almost always 1 or 2 visitors for the evening meal.

She did all her beans, corn, berries, peas, tomatoes, tomato juice, and just about every thing else she canned, . . . in half gallon jars with only a water bath canner.

Jams and jellies were either made from canned berries, . . . or made and canned in quart jars. Her big family made quart jars impractical.

I was not on the kitchen staff (weed puller and tobacco hoe dude were my jobs then), . . . but none of us ever died far as I know.

It can be safely done, . . . I can attest to that for sure, . . . living proof so to speak, . . . I just do not know the particulars.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    The food Nazis from "Ball" Don't recommend it and recipe's are hard to find but I agree with you it was done in the past. For water bath stuff I dont see a huge issue. But for anything low acid( beans and meat) I personally wouldn't risk it. Tomatoes although generally low acid today can have lemon juice added to bring up the acid level.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight55 View Post

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Yeah Dwight my grandma and granddaddy have 5 kids and used alot of half gallons. I'm sure she's got the info around the house somewhere but like I say her mind ain't what it used to be but if I find any info I will be sure and post it. Thanks everyone for the info
    "I'm a walking contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction"
    Kris Kristofferson
    "The American farmer is the only person who buys everything at retail, sells everything at Wholesale, an has to pay the freight both ways "
    JFK

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hag For This Useful Post:

Dwight55 (06-15-2016),Gambit (06-15-2016),hawgrider (06-15-2016),RubberDuck (06-15-2016)