Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Slippy's Pole Barn Build

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,673 Times in 3,616 Posts
    Good work pal! I'll be real interested in seeing how the outhouse build goes!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 25,639 Times in 7,178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arklatex View Post
    Good work pal! I'll be real interested in seeing how the outhouse build goes!
    My plan has been to build a 10x10 Bunkhouse and two Built Into The StudWall Bunk Beds to have a place for guests to sleep. The Cabin at Slippy Lodge is only a 2 bedroom so when we have guests they are all over the place.

Outside the Bunkhouse I plan to have an Outhouse with a gravity fed water supply from the roof to flush a real toilet into a Home-Made Septic System using two 55 gallon plastic barrels downhill into the remote ravine on the backside of the property. I'll engineer it so that the waste goes from the toilet into the first barrel, then into the second barrel then into a PVC pipe that takes it to a series of field drains/gravel and dissapates into the ground away from all water sources etc.

My land is zoned Agriculture so I think I can pull this off without hassle from the government.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slippy For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (10-22-2016),hawgrider (10-22-2016),Inor (10-22-2016)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    I do think you have ever shown me pictures of tablesaw and work benches. That is the purpose of a garage right?
    Yes! The garage is big enough for my work shop and Mrs S to park her Jeep. The carport is for my truck. Right now neither of us can park under roof because we have 30 years of CRAP inside the garage/carport.

The Pole Barn will free up LOTS of space.

Being an owner of a small tract of acreage is GREAT!

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Slippy For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (10-22-2016),darsk20 (10-22-2016),hawgrider (10-22-2016),Inor (10-22-2016),Sparkyprep (10-23-2016)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,467 Times in 10,537 Posts
    I hear that! We have a path about 24" wide through the garage at the rental house right now. Moving from a 2000 sq ft house that was WAY overloaded with crap into a 1300 sq ft rental makes it pretty tight! Hopefully we will get the garage at our build site under roof in the not too distant future and I will at least be able to move tools over.

Unfortunately, our original house plan came in about $80K more than I want to spend. So we are in the process of re-thinking how we want to do the house because I REALLY REALLY REALLY do not want a mortgage. (Of course, I am of the opinion we do not need a 3500 sq ft house either.)
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (10-22-2016),Baglady (10-25-2016),Slippy (10-22-2016)

Occasionally Replies Back darsk20's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Awesome work. Every time I get more space I don't ever get rid of stuff, it just continues to accumulate.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darsk20 For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (10-22-2016),Slippy (10-22-2016)

Don't get too close, I bite! Gambit's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,042 Times in 5,248 Posts
    looks very nice
    It happened before, it can happen again.
    It happened there, it can happen here.
    It happened to that person, it can happen to you.
    No one is immune to the trials and tribulations of life.

I'm not allowed at the Zoo anymore...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Gambit For This Useful Post:

Slippy (10-23-2016)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Inor,

Building Materials prices have been steadily rising since 2012 even though nationwide Housing Starts are still way below the average. 1959-2008 the USA averaged 1.6 million housing starts per year. And in many years we saw over 2 million starts. After the housing debacle and subsequent economic crash in 07/08 the USA dipped below1 million starts for the first time in recorded history. Since then we have only seen about 1.1 million starts per year causing many manufacturers of various construction products to close manufacturing plants. In 2012 many producers of lumber, plywood, windows/doors, roofing, drywall, flooring, insulation etc began raising prices to make up for losses that they experienced.

It was contrary to the "laws" of Supply and Demand but prices have stuck. Dealers and Distributors of Building Materials have also been hit with higher administration/delivery costs and had to raise their prices accordingly. Just a few examples; A delivery truck with a crane that 12 years ago cost $150,000 now costs upwards of $275,000. Service on these trucks has also more than doubled. Fork Lift prices have also doubled and of course we all know what has hapned to the cost of healthcare insurance...

Bottom line, the cost to build a home is going up and will continue for a while in my humble opinion...

I hear that! We have a path about 24" wide through the garage at the rental house right now. Moving from a 2000 sq ft house that was WAY overloaded with crap into a 1300 sq ft rental makes it pretty tight! Hopefully we will get the garage at our build site under roof in the not too distant future and I will at least be able to move tools over.

Unfortunately, our original house plan came in about $80K more than I want to spend. So we are in the process of re-thinking how we want to do the house because I REALLY REALLY REALLY do not want a mortgage. (Of course, I am of the opinion we do not need a 3500 sq ft house either.)

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slippy For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (10-23-2016),Gambit (10-23-2016),Inor (10-23-2016)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,673 Times in 3,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Inor,

Building Materials prices have been steadily rising since 2012 even though nationwide Housing Starts are still way below the average. 1959-2008 the USA averaged 1.6 million housing starts per year. And in many years we saw over 2 million starts. After the housing debacle and subsequent economic crash in 07/08 the USA dipped below1 million starts for the first time in recorded history. Since then we have only seen about 1.1 million starts per year causing many manufacturers of various construction products to close manufacturing plants. In 2012 many producers of lumber, plywood, windows/doors, roofing, drywall, flooring, insulation etc began raising prices to make up for losses that they experienced.

It was contrary to the "laws" of Supply and Demand but prices have stuck. Dealers and Distributors of Building Materials have also been hit with higher administration/delivery costs and had to raise their prices accordingly. Just a few examples; A delivery truck with a crane that 12 years ago cost $150,000 now costs upwards of $275,000. Service on these trucks has also more than doubled. Fork Lift prices have also doubled and of course we all know what has hapned to the cost of healthcare insurance...

Bottom line, the cost to build a home is going up and will continue for a while in my humble opinion...
    That's a big part of the reason the construction and precast company I worked for went out of business. The owner tried hard and struggled till 2010 before shutting it down and filing bankruptcy. The price of rebar, cement, etc skyrocketed and the number of jobs to bid on plummeted. Most of our business was centered around new construction of shopping centers, neighborhoods, and substations. Really sucks what happened.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arklatex For This Useful Post:

A Watchman (10-23-2016),Inor (10-23-2016),Slippy (10-23-2016)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,467 Times in 10,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Inor,

Yeah, it is crazy. We bought the land in 2009 and had the plans drawn in 2010. When we had the plans drawn we told the architect our budget and he drew up the plans based on that. We had the same exact 2010 plan estimated and it came in $80K higher than expected (and that is without including the materials for all of the work we are going to do). WOW!

In the end though, it is probably a good thing. We designed the perfect house for Minnesota because we did not know any better. There are quite a number of features of our crappy rental house that we really like. So I think by doing a redesign now, we are going to end up with a house that is better suited to this climate and house that we will end up being happier with.
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

A Watchman (10-23-2016),Arklatex (10-23-2016),Baglady (10-25-2016),hawgrider (10-23-2016),Slippy (10-23-2016),TJC44 (10-23-2016)

Found my way back to the barn. Baglady's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,163 Times in 1,868 Posts
    Yeah, it is crazy. We bought the land in 2009 and had the plans drawn in 2010. When we had the plans drawn we told the architect our budget and he drew up the plans based on that. We had the same exact 2010 plan estimated and it came in $80K higher than expected (and that is without including the materials for all of the work we are going to do). WOW!

In the end though, it is probably a good thing. We designed the perfect house for Minnesota because we did not know any better. There are quite a number of features of our crappy rental house that we really like. So I think by doing a redesign now, we are going to end up with a house that is better suited to this climate and house that we will end up being happier with.
    Time to start buying hay bales, huh? I remember back in the 70's, Dennis Weaver built his house in the Santa Fe area. He used tires and cans to insulate his stucco walls.
    Being cremated...my last chance for a SMOKING HOT BODY!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast