Thread: Broken tie rod - Kubota tractor

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by T-Man 1066 View Post
    Similar story. '78 Ranchero, swapped in a 351 Cleveland with some mods, was doing a bonzai run, about 120 through the country, came into town, slowed down to 30, and about a mile later, the left side outer tie rod just fell out of the ball socket. Worn out. It lurched left, I went across traffic into a parking lot. Pushed it back into the ball, tied a coat hanger around it, and got back to my shop where I could replace it. Had it done that about 10 miles earlier, probably wouldn't be a T-Man today. Proof that God is real!

351C! That was a nice engine. I had a one of those in a '73 Mustang. Right after I got it I was doing about 40 one night and had my right rear wheel pass me, take a right turn across three other lanes of traffic and stop neatly in a parking spot at the Circle K. It had sheared off the studs and dropped onto the brake drum after the wheel departed. Cut a nice groove in the road, but drove nicely. Pulled into a parking lot, threw the wheel in the trunk, and walked home. Small town so no point in trying to do anything with it until morning.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to White Shadow For This Useful Post:

Inor (07-28-2022),shootbrownelk (07-30-2022),SOCOM42 (07-28-2022),StratBastard (07-28-2022),T-Man 1066 (07-28-2022)

VIP Member! / Firearms expert SOCOM42's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,673 Times in 2,335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Shadow View Post
    351C! That was a nice engine. I had a one of those in a '73 Mustang. Right after I got it I was doing about 40 one night and had my right rear wheel pass me, take a right turn across three other lanes of traffic and stop neatly in a parking spot at the Circle K. It had sheared off the studs and dropped onto the brake drum after the wheel departed. Cut a nice groove in the road, but drove nicely. Pulled into a parking lot, threw the wheel in the trunk, and walked home. Small town so no point in trying to do anything with it until morning.
    I had a Bronco with a 351 C in it.

One day in heavy traffic at an intersection, I dropped the rear driveshaft, was in 2 wheel drive.

Had to gut out turn on the hubs and crawl under and detach the rear end of the shaft.

Let me tell you, there were some really pissed off drivers,

assholes could not understand it was not my fault or me being stupid.

Got on radio and called my brother, he had a replacement ready to go when I got there.

Like the Jeeps 4WD on the fly, both of mine have it, one locks up the differentials.

Note; had a commercially assigned VHF frequency for communication,

had two trucks delivering end product or picking up steel and other stuff.
    A STORM IS COMING! LET'S GO BRANDON!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SOCOM42 For This Useful Post:

shootbrownelk (07-30-2022),StratBastard (07-28-2022),White Shadow (07-28-2022)