Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: I hate woodworking! Kitchen table for my camper.

The ARM-R-SEAL did exactly what I wanted it does not allow a water ring to show up from a sweating cocktail. It it also does well with a hot dinner plates we tested with last nights dinner and breakfast this morning.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Inor (05-09-2022),MountainGirl (05-09-2022),Slippy (05-09-2022)

Inor- Question

I am getting some tiny bubbles as I apply with hunk of old tshirt seems like no matter how fast or slow I apply. I have to look close in the right light and flip the folded rag over and wipe off the tiny bubbles.

What am I doing wrong with the way Im wiping it on?

I have tried applying with the grain and across the grain and get about the same results.

And yes I only stir the can. Never shake it.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Inor (05-09-2022),Slippy (05-09-2022)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 3,409 Times in 943 Posts
    ^^ make sure the sealer is warm and it will reduce what you are seeing ^^
    P.S. I’m not Inor but I did stay at a Holiday Inn express last night.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Box of frogs For This Useful Post:

A Watchman (05-10-2022),hawgrider (05-09-2022),Inor (05-09-2022),MountainGirl (05-10-2022),Prepared One (05-10-2022),T-Man 1066 (05-09-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Box of frogs View Post
    ^^ make sure the sealer is warm and it will reduce what you are seeing ^^
    P.S. I’m not Inor but I did stay at a Holiday Inn express last night.
    That might be it I was pushing it with the temp game. Mostly it was low 60's when I applied most of it.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Box of frogs (05-09-2022),Inor (05-09-2022)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,121 Times in 10,468 Posts
    BoF is 100% correct.

Another trick (that I actually did today), is water the last coat down with a bit of Mineral Spirits so it is even more runny. Then, once you get a light coat on, "dust it" with the wet rag to just remove the bubbles without adding many new rag marks.

One last thing, sometimes it is best to let good enough be good enough.

I got back in the shop (finally) last weekend. Mrs Inor wanted an oak picture frame for some of those painted south-west ceramic tiles. So I made one up and am varnishing it with the same stuff you are using. But the jug I am using is too old and started to thicken. It is being a real pain in the ass. Rather than trying to perfect it and ****ing it up worse than it already is, I think I am going to go over it once more with steel wool, then one last light coat and she is going to have to live with it. It is not horrible but I can see the imperfections. But there are times when you just have to roll with that.
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (05-09-2022)

Ok good. The temps are high 70's to 80 the next few days I'll hit it with the last coat and should be good to go.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234