Thread: This time of year

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,384 Times in 644 Posts

This time of year

Around Veterans day out of no where people you served with in the past come back into you life for a brief time . As soldier we were one in a cause and duty. But in the real world we were as different as anyone could be. Always amazed me how it all seemed to work out. With out the boots it is unlikely the 4 of us would have even known each other.
    This morning I get a text with screenshot. I knew right away the picture was from another life time. I knew who was in it. In many ways they made me the NCO I became. Each a very different person. Each a dam good soldier.
    It was one of my squads years ago. They kept my life interesting. Each had a nick name that applied to them. I will not type some of them. My driver Goggles the guy on top. As a soldier the man had his stuff together.
    As a member of society he lived in his own world and most others did not. I had to bail him out of stuff many times. The one on my right had his life in order. He was going to be gone first chance he got. But he seemed to find a reason to stay.
    One on my left was just figuring out where he was headed. He found the path.
    Goggles. That man was short. They called him a ruck sack with boots. Worked his ass off to get in the airborne. they say he hung upside down for a month to get another 1/4 inch in height to meet the standard. He made it. When ask why he worked so hard to get in the airborne. He said Beer money. And that explains why a skilled soldier never got past E4. And he stayed on the beer path long after he left the boots behind. The one on my left became a State trooper severed with honor and saved some lives at his own risk. One on my right went on to a rewarding life. After them there were many more in many other places. But they formed who and what I would become.
    Life was simple as a Squad leader for the most part. Not long after that picture things happen fast. Each promotion bought more demands. Time went by so fast it was over in what seemed like no time at all.
    I remember each and everyone. And many of those that came after them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20211113-102530_Facebook(2).jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	17454

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Smitty901 For This Useful Post:

bigwheel (11-13-2021),Inor (11-13-2021),Mad Trapper (11-13-2021),Michael_Js (11-13-2021),MountainGirl (11-13-2021),Slippy (11-14-2021),SOCOM42 (11-13-2021),Sparkyprep (11-17-2021)

Little Miss Chatterbox

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,433 Times in 679 Posts
    Thanks for Serving! Hope you had a great Veterans Day.

VIP Member! / Firearms expert SOCOM42's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,444 Times in 2,285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Around Veterans day out of no where people you served with in the past come back into you life for a brief time . As soldier we were one in a cause and duty. But in the real world we were as different as anyone could be. Always amazed me how it all seemed to work out. With out the boots it is unlikely the 4 of us would have even known each other.
    This morning I get a text with screenshot. I knew right away the picture was from another life time. I knew who was in it. In many ways they made me the NCO I became. Each a very different person. Each a dam good soldier.
    It was one of my squads years ago. They kept my life interesting. Each had a nick name that applied to them. I will not type some of them. My driver Goggles the guy on top. As a soldier the man had his stuff together.
    As a member of society he lived in his own world and most others did not. I had to bail him out of stuff many times. The one on my right had his life in order. He was going to be gone first chance he got. But he seemed to find a reason to stay.
    One on my left was just figuring out where he was headed. He found the path.
    Goggles. That man was short. They called him a ruck sack with boots. Worked his ass off to get in the airborne. they say he hung upside down for a month to get another 1/4 inch in height to meet the standard. He made it. When ask why he worked so hard to get in the airborne. He said Beer money. And that explains why a skilled soldier never got past E4. And he stayed on the beer path long after he left the boots behind. The one on my left became a State trooper severed with honor and saved some lives at his own risk. One on my right went on to a rewarding life. After them there were many more in many other places. But they formed who and what I would become.
    Life was simple as a Squad leader for the most part. Not long after that picture things happen fast. Each promotion bought more demands. Time went by so fast it was over in what seemed like no time at all.
    I remember each and everyone. And many of those that came after them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20211113-102530_Facebook(2).jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	17454
    I am from a bit of an earlier time, the thing I find is that those who we served with have never grown old,

they are as you remember them, frozen in time.

The only ones that changed are the one's we kept in contact with.

All the ones I served with and kept track of from 1960-1963 are gone today.

Even more than half of the the guys in the guard units I served in later are gone too,

some were 10-15 years younger than me to boot.

Some of my closest friends, from guard and civilian life mixed together,

are gone today and in some cases their kids too.

My friends in the 10th.SF(airborne) SOTIC are no longer here either.

As I type this, I have to wipe the tears from my eyes, memories, sweet sorrow.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 11-14-2021 at 01:50 PM. Reason: correction in detail
    A STORM IS COMING! LET'S GO BRANDON!

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SOCOM42 For This Useful Post:

1skrewsloose (11-13-2021),bigwheel (11-13-2021),Mad Trapper (11-13-2021),MountainGirl (11-13-2021),Prepared One (11-14-2021),Slippy (11-14-2021),Smitty901 (11-13-2021)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 5,604 Times in 2,016 Posts
    I hope you can stick around a bit longer.

Joe

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to red442joe For This Useful Post:

Slippy (11-14-2021),Smitty901 (11-14-2021),SOCOM42 (11-13-2021)