Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Gardening Thread

Pulled some weeds, put some mulch down and fed everything with with some organic blood meal.

Potatoes are coming up, dill is up, cherry tomatoes are flowering.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (06-01-2019),Slippy (06-01-2019)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 5,207 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Things are progressing slowly here as far as finishing the garden. Having the tractor it the shop is a killer. We moved compost by using 5 gallon buckets and the utv. Slow and a lot of back breaking work. Still have one raised bed to fill so no idea of how long it will take. Whats already planted is doing really well. Strawberries are unbelievable picking over 7 lbs last night. Make 19 1/2 pints of jam yesterday. Wife said its the best we batch ever. Lot more work to do. Hopefully get tractor back by midweek would help get us finished up. two days of dry weather ahead so thats a plus.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (06-02-2019),Innkeeper (06-02-2019),Inor (06-02-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,174 Times in 10,477 Posts
    We got our first cherry tomatoes last week. The taters are doing well as are the peppers. The fruit and nut trees, less so. It has been so windy for the last 6 weeks, I have lost all but one of my almonds on the almond tree. The apples seem to be holding their own. But I think the new peach tree may be close to dead. I think when the Art Shack is done, I am going to put in some more fruit trees, maybe an apricot and a couple pears plus another almond. I am also starting to plan out how I can put in automatic watering system. (Those are pretty popular here and I think I can do it fairly inexpensively.)
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (06-02-2019),hawgrider (06-02-2019),Innkeeper (06-02-2019),Rich1028 (06-02-2019),Slippy (06-02-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 25,147 Times in 7,058 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    We got our first cherry tomatoes last week. The taters are doing well as are the peppers. The fruit and nut trees, less so. It has been so windy for the last 6 weeks, I have lost all but one of my almonds on the almond tree. The apples seem to be holding their own. But I think the new peach tree may be close to dead. I think when the Art Shack is done, I am going to put in some more fruit trees, maybe an apricot and a couple pears plus another almond. I am also starting to plan out how I can put in automatic watering system. (Those are pretty popular here and I think I can do it fairly inexpensively.)
    Good luck with the Auto Water System Inor

We had water systems back when we were subdivision dwellers but for some damn reason I chose not to put one in at Slippy Lodge. Minor pain in the ass watering some of our raised beds as well as our very small lawn but we get by. My Rainwater Collection System works well in the Backyard Raised Beds. One day perhaps for the Frontyard Raised Beds...

More things on the LOTTDASL! (List Of Things To Do At Slippy Lodge!)

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slippy For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (06-02-2019),Innkeeper (06-02-2019),Inor (06-02-2019)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    I will be installing some drip irrigation for my raised beds. Never done it so it will be trial and error. I will hook it up to my water collection system. Right now were watering by hand until I can get the project done. Mother nature as helped us out a lot lately After the retro fit this year its seems to be doing well. I have about 500 gallons capacity right now. Would like to add at least 275 more. Moved another 88 buckets of compost today to fill the last raised bed. Things are looking up.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (06-02-2019),Inor (06-02-2019),shootbrownelk (06-03-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,174 Times in 10,477 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Good luck with the Auto Water System Inor

We had water systems back when we were subdivision dwellers but for some damn reason I chose not to put one in at Slippy Lodge. Minor pain in the ass watering some of our raised beds as well as our very small lawn but we get by. My Rainwater Collection System works well in the Backyard Raised Beds. One day perhaps for the Frontyard Raised Beds...

More things on the LOTTDASL! (List Of Things To Do At Slippy Lodge!)
    Your tax dollars at work...

The federal government gave our county a grant of something like $8 million dollars to promote the creation of mom and pop wine vineyards. (Why they think a bunch of wine snobs would want to come here and hang out with a bunch of toothless hicks is beyond me. But...) The way the county decided to use the money was to subsidize the cost of installing irrigation systems. So there is a little hardware store about 35 miles from here where anybody can buy the parts for a vineyard irrigation system for about 30% of the retail value. So I figure if I drop $100 or $200 on vineyard irrigation parts and it works for the gardens and trees, great! If it doesn't work, I'm not out much.
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (06-02-2019),Innkeeper (06-02-2019),shootbrownelk (06-03-2019),Slippy (06-03-2019),StratBastard (06-02-2019)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Finally get the tractor back tomorrow afternoon. Bad thing is I'm paying almost as much having in hauled to and from repairs that I got from selling my trailer. Never thought I would need to haul the tractor again. Still busy picking strawberries. We should top 50 lbs in a day or so. Planning to start several more rows of corn but another 1 1/2" of rain is slowing us down. Garden looks great, Now that we're getting the tractor we should be in good shape by the first of the week as long as we don't get any rain.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (06-07-2019),Inor (06-07-2019)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Strawberries are slowing down and getting smaller but still got 3 lbs yesterday. Today is picking day #10. Just got these in the freezer this morning.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	strawberry2019.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	7401

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (06-10-2019),shootbrownelk (07-01-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Broncosfan View Post
    Strawberries are slowing down and getting smaller but still got 3 lbs yesterday. Today is picking day #10. Just got these in the freezer this morning.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	strawberry2019.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	7401
    Good eating and lots of back breaking work!
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (06-10-2019),Innkeeper (06-10-2019)

I Never Log Off!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,598 Times in 2,019 Posts
    Beautiful..
    Purchased and planted a peach and a plum tree.
    The wife went all out and got about twenty more plants, tomato, squash, peppers, chile, and three blueberry.
    Oh and two citronella plants. The mosquito's are pretty tough at dusk here lately.
    You will never be forgotten. RIP Corporal Bradley Coy (USMC)

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deebo For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (06-10-2019),Innkeeper (06-10-2019)

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast