PDA

View Full Version : Martin Luther and These United States

Inor
11-01-2017, 10:40 PM
Last Tuesday was the 500th anniversary of Martin Luther nailing his 95 Thesis to the church door in Wittenburg. That was the opening salvo of the Protestant Reformation. Without the Protestant Reformation, These United States would not have existed in the form of our greatest era.

If you do not know much about Martin Luther, I STRONGLY suggest you study up on him. He is one of history's greatest and most courageous men - right up there with Jefferson and Madison. Of course, I went to a small Lutheran college where we were forced to take 3 semesters of Theology of Reformers classes. During that year and a half, it was all Luther, all the time.

Anyway, this is the best summation of Luther's life and importance in less than 2 pages that I have come across.

http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/10/31/commentary-reformations-500th-anniversary-remember-martin-luther-americas-first-founding-father

Luther's life, post Catholicism, was one drama after another and he beat every single challenge thrown at him. But my favorite Luther story is...

Luther, beyond being one of the greatest thinkers of his day and being EXTREMELY courageous, was also a good German and liked his beer. Like all Germans, he had a hand painted beer stein holding maybe a quart. Around the top, his stein had a band painted with the words of Nicene Creed. Around the middle, it had a band painted with the words of the Apostles Creed. Around the bottom, it had a band painted with the 10 Commandments. The rumor is, when Luther was unwinding after a full day of driving the Cathaholics in Rome crazy, he would fill his stein with good stout beer and raise a toast: "Let's drink to the 10 Commandments!"

Innkeeper
11-01-2017, 11:51 PM
I visited Veste Coburg on one of my visits to Germany where Martin Luther spent six months working on his translation of the Bible into German. He was sent there by his liege so that he would not be arrested for heresy. It is a very impressive fortress and town. Well worth seeing and a great deal about Luther there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inor
11-02-2017, 12:34 AM
I visited Veste Coburg on one of my visits to Germany where Martin Luther spent six months working on his translation of the Bible into German. He was sent there by his liege so that he would not be arrested for heresy. It is a very impressive fortress and town. Well worth seeing and a great deal about Luther there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YES YES YES!!!

Like his time being a "prisoner" in Wartburg Castle. That was when he translated the New Testament into common German. What most folks do not understand is the Church (Catholic) was EVERYTHING in Luther's time. The Church forbid the Bible from being translated into any language except Latin. Since most people did not read or understand Latin, it meant common folks had to rely on the Church to give them their interpretation of the Bible. When Luther translated the Bible into a language that common folks could read and interpret for themselves, it started an absolute firestorm!

It sounds kind of like the global warming debate now, does it not?

Dwight55
11-02-2017, 01:36 AM
YES YES YES!!!

Like his time being a "prisoner" in Wartburg Castle. That was when he translated the New Testament into common German. What most folks do not understand is the Church (Catholic) was EVERYTHING in Luther's time. The Church forbid the Bible from being translated into any language except Latin. Since most people did not read or understand Latin, it meant common folks had to rely on the Church to give them their interpretation of the Bible. When Luther translated the Bible into a language that common folks could read and interpret for themselves, it started an absolute firestorm!

It sounds kind of like the global warming debate now, does it not?

Except for the irresistible facts that the Bible is true, . . . and global warming is at best "hocus pocus", . . . and at worst, . . . just common, lower level, democrat fraud.

May God bless,
Dwight

Inor
11-02-2017, 02:45 AM
Except for the irresistible facts that the Bible is true, . . . and global warming is at best "hocus pocus", . . . and at worst, . . . just common, lower level, democrat fraud.

May God bless,
Dwight

My point exactly! The Cathoholic church was busy selling indulgences (hocus pocus) also know as the global warming of the day. Marty, well...