Thread: Garlic Salt

Threaded View

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 5,226 Times in 1,563 Posts

Garlic Salt

So I decided to try smoking some fresh garlic

I seperated the cloves and peeled them. Then smoked them using a mixture of white oak with a hint of apple and pear probably about 4-5 hours. They had a nice color when I took them off.
    I cut the larger cloves and put in the dehydrator. I would do this different next time. Will explain later.
    When the garlic was dry I ground it in a coffee grinder. Put in storage jar.
    Then I measured 3 tablespoons of Himalayan salt put in grinder ground slightly
    Then I added 1 tablespoon garlic and ground it with the salt

This is the first time I have use Himalayan salt. It has a strong salt taste but doesn't over ride the garlic and then the added taste of the smoke.

I also done this with regular garlic but I decided after peeling the cloves to chopped it in the food processor lookinghg for a better way. . I then spread it on my dehydrator tray.(My dehydrator has the liner sheets) It dried so much faster. Since garlic is somewhat sticky I used a metal pancake turner to peel it loose and flip it over. Looked like a thin rice krispy treat. I then ground it then mixed like above 3 parts salt one part garlic. I did grind this somewhat finer.

Both appear the same color a slight off white with pink shades mixed it but the smoked looks more pink but that could be because it is courser. Its somewhat cloudy here today or I would try to take a picture. Will add one when I can.

I think this is a good way to save all the extra garlic from your garden.

I didn't weigh my garlic at the start so I can't give you exact start to finish ratio but I ended up with 2 8ox jelly jars of garlic before I started making the garlic salt.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

Baglady (07-27-2016),Gambit (07-26-2016),hawgrider (07-26-2016),RubberDuck (07-26-2016),Sasquatch (07-26-2016),Slippy (07-26-2016),Sparkyprep (07-27-2016)