Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Site has been slow to load ?

This has been happening on other sites since the 19th. Supposedly has something to do with an update.

Still sounds like government bullshit to me.
    I fear the nation I loved may be gone. The best I hope for now is to die with honor in the coming civil war, and that my grandchildren be spared the pain of a tyrannical government.

News Flash: Statistics show the last time Blacks had a 100% employment rate was 1863

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Coastie dad For This Useful Post:

1skrewsloose (06-28-2024),hawgrider (06-28-2024),Prepared One (06-28-2024)

This is the reason supposedly-

"CPU resource limit of your account was exceeded and which seems to be caused the issue."

Caused by- "I can see that most of the hits came from the bot "facebookexternalhit" and this can be the possible reason for the resource issue."

So yeah not much I can do.... no Idea what facebookexternalhit shit is or how to stop it.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,323 Times in 426 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    This is the reason supposedly-

"CPU resource limit of your account was exceeded and which seems to be caused the issue."

Caused by- "I can see that most of the hits came from the bot "facebookexternalhit" and this can be the possible reason for the resource issue."

So yeah not much I can do.... no Idea what facebookexternalhit shit is or how to stop it.
    Here is a link to solutions. I don't know who has access to implement them.

https://wordpress.org/support/topic/...s-of-requests/

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MoreAmmoOK For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (06-28-2024),Ricekila (06-28-2024)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    The link I posted earlier talks about a file called "robots.txt" that can have "bot" names added to it and it will block the "bots" on the list.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MoreAmmoOK For This Useful Post:

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Another solution might be to block the Facebook IP range (157.240.0.0 - 157.240.255.255). If the bot is coming from FB IP space blocking the range would stop it. This would also stop any direct communication from FB to OTP, that may not be a bad thing.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MoreAmmoOK For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MoreAmmoOK View Post
    Another solution might be to block the Facebook IP range (157.240.0.0 - 157.240.255.255). If the bot is coming from FB IP space blocking the range would stop it. This would also stop any direct communication from FB to OTP, that may not be a bad thing.
    Tbe host said there is a robot txt file that can be used. I have no skills for that so I asked them if they will do it. Waiting for a response.

I may also try what you suggested I have the ability to do that I think....
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

The link I posted earlier talks about a file called "robots.txt" that can have "bot" names added to it and it will block the "bots" on the list.
    This is the file the host mentioned! You have done this before haven't you MoreAmmoOK

Just got a message from the host that said the Facebook bot was disallowed.

Hopefully that helps. Seem like I'm able to navigate smoothly at the momment.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

T-Man 1066 (06-28-2024)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    This is the file the host mentioned! You have done this before haven't you MoreAmmoOK
    25 years as a hospital Network Administrator left me with a couple skills. I don't have access to the network tools I had at the hospital and don't really want them. I retired last September and have done very little network stuff since but it's 100+ degrees outside and I was bored so I did some diggin round.
    If the bot is coming from the FB IP space blocking the IP range would block other FB bots with different names, they only need to change or add one character to the name to get past the "robot.txt" file block.
    Blocking the FB IP range may have unintended consequences, I don't know enough about the structure of FB to speculate.
    I say Fk FB and anything they try to send to or harvest from OTP.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MoreAmmoOK For This Useful Post:

25 years as a hospital Network Administrator left me with a couple skills. I don't have access to the network tools I had at the hospital and don't really want them. I retired last September and have done very little network stuff since but it's 100+ degrees outside and I was bored so I did some diggin round.
    If the bot is coming from the FB IP space blocking the IP range would block other FB bots with different names, they only need to change or add one character to the name to get past the "robot.txt" file block.
    Blocking the FB IP range may have unintended consequences, I don't know enough about the structure of FB to speculate.
    I say Fk FB and anything they try to send to or harvest from OTP.
    Looks like I may have to try IP range you suggested. As of this post writing we are still running painfully slow. I'll see if I can figure it out.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast