PDA

View Full Version : What was your prep of the day?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9

bigwheel
04-30-2021, 09:34 PM
Every prepper site HAS to have a "prep of the day" thread. So I'll start one here.

Last Sunday and Monday I tried out a new recipe for venison sausage and broke in my new propane smoker. Both worked out better than I had hoped. So now we have another 15 pounds of venison sausage in the freezer!

BTW: For any of you guys that are meat-heads and into making sausage, I found that using a 50/50 mix of bourbon and water, instead of just water for mixing in the spices gives it a really nice smokey flavor throughout the meat. I used Maker's Mark because that is what I had on hand. I do not know how cheap bourbon would work. But I expect it would be fine since all of the alcohol is cooked off during smoking; what we are after is the "aged" flavor that comes from aging it in the casks.
A good full flavor beer can also kick it up a notch. Never heard of adding whiskey. Thanks for sharing.

bigwheel
04-30-2021, 09:39 PM
Its easy to figure out. For every pound of Bambi's Mama you got add a pound of pork butt. That is the shoulder but now they call it all kinds of odd things. Then do what you want. lol

bigwheel
04-30-2021, 09:40 PM
Sounds yummy.

Innkeeper
05-01-2021, 08:52 AM
Get some of my garlic in there. We need to dig some up tomorrow. Between you and mlodell07's few rows we won't lose the strain.Take a trip up north and drop some off here at the 45th.......I have beer and cigars.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

BucketBack
05-01-2021, 09:32 AM
Get some of my garlic in there. We need to dig some up tomorrow. Between you and mlodell07's few rows we won't lose the strain.

I have close to a hundred garlic coming up now. I tossed some rotten garlic in the compost pile years ago and it's spread across the yard

I also have some old school Lilacs, and Forsythia's. They were huge in 1968.

After the lilac blooms I'm trimming it way down, I also have Burning Bushes.

All 3 grow like weeds and are easy to plant.

The Burning Bush is a 30 year old strain, and is considered an invasive species in some states. It grows in sand and with little water.

Let me know if you need any cuttings

BucketBack
05-01-2021, 11:09 AM
DayumSun

Lady is selling Burning Bushes in 1 gallon pots for $25 on Fakebook. What the heck ?

I have to clean out my SUV so I can fit a couple apple trees in from TSC or FF&H

Gallon pots of periwinkle for $24.95 online.

Heck I have a 3' x 12' bed of it that is getting cut down by the lawn mower soon.

bigwheel
05-01-2021, 12:22 PM
I been clowning around trying to clone menthol cigarettes since Biden and his handlers want to get rid of em cause poor black folks and little kids like em too much and maybe use them for barter when the economy collapses. I loaded some up with dried mint and a drop of pepper mint oil. Made em mighty minty but not too mentholly. I have Wintrgreen Oil n root from Amazon and will test that out.

Broncosfan
05-04-2021, 11:20 AM
Added (2) 200 rd boxes of Winchester 5.56 from my local Rural King for $74.99 a box

LivoniaDan
05-04-2021, 12:18 PM
Added (2) 200 rd boxes of Winchester 5.56 from my local Rural King for $74.99 a box

Seems like a REALLY good price in this day and age.

BucketBack
05-04-2021, 12:23 PM
Loaded 200 - 20 gauge trap loads, bought $27 in paper products and wipes

Broncosfan
05-04-2021, 12:55 PM
Seems like a REALLY good price in this day and age.

Pre-pandemic prices. Just a little over 37 cpr without tax. Rural King is the only place close to me that offers a decent price on ammo. Problem is you have to be there early to get it. They actually were stocking the shelves behind the counter because they had a lot of different stuff come it. For months they just put out what they had on the gun counter.

bigwheel
05-04-2021, 08:11 PM
I got in a bottle of Wintergreen oil to use trying to clone menthol cigarettes for the hood rats. One handful of Ohm Bold pipe tobacco..a teaspoon of dried mint..two drops of peppermint oil and wintergreen shook up in an empty coffee can and stuffed into Zen menthol king tubes. Tried a few. Believe I would like it if I was a hood rat.

Piratesailor
05-05-2021, 07:49 AM
Looking at inflation hedges...

Best one to-date... primers and ammo. LOL

Michael_Js
05-05-2021, 10:30 AM
Getting older - Duh! My eyesight isn't what it used to be. So, been looking at OSP devices for my carry and checked with Springfield and it's not easy to get one mounted to my current carry without slide modifications.

So, after checking with the Boss, I priced a new firearm yesterday, had it loaded in my cart on GunBroker, but wanted to give LGS' 1st shot. After 4 calls, hit the LGS that I was going to use as the receiving FFL, and they got one in yesterday morning! Bought it online, and went in yesterday afternoon to sign the gooberment paperwork.

Also bought a beautiful, and very expensive, HoloSun reflex sight - wow! Solar backup, auto on by movement, auto off, blah blah...

The new carry is identical to the current except for a trigger update and plate for OSP. So, nothing new to learn. It felt very good in my hands - duh.

New on the federal form was a checkbox - if you're buying an "assault weapon", have you completed the special firearms class. Holly moley! Sad....

Anyway, have to wait up to 10 days for the local Sherriff's office to approve me. Never had to do that here in communist WA state as I have a CPL...Oh well!

Still need the mounting plate which I already ordered from Springfield - the gun is too new for LGS' to carry them.

Oh: XD-M® ELITE 3.8" COMPACT OSP™ HANDGUN - all black

Peace,
Michael .

SOCOM42
05-05-2021, 11:05 AM
I got in a bottle of Wintergreen oil to use trying to clone menthol cigarettes for the hood rats. One handful of Ohm Bold pipe tobacco..a teaspoon of dried mint..two drops of peppermint oil and wintergreen shook up in an empty coffee can and stuffed into Zen menthol king tubes. Tried a few. Believe I would like it if I was a hood rat.

Yeah, sell to the hood rats, they will give you a foot in the ass and a shot in the gut for payment.

There are none around me for miles, and none had ever better show up here.

SHTF, I would cap anyone of them that tried to get within 20 feet of me here.

They are NFG now and will be 10X worse post SHTF.

Jester-ND
05-05-2021, 01:16 PM
tilled up my 20x40 garden plot.. dumped a few loads of 25 year old manure/dirt pile on top. pounded in some t-posts, heading to get fencing and apple trees tomorrow. Costco run mid-month for some supplies (50lb rice and such). strawberry plants in the ground (along with a few hundred acres of pea/canola/lentil/grain fields seeded) few k left to go.. getting as prepared as we can be. NEED RAIN!!!!!:drinkmore:

Back Pack Hack
05-05-2021, 03:23 PM
Went out 'shroom hunting this afternoon. Found lots of ticks, chiggers, no-see-ums and burs.

Also found some nice quartz I can cleave for firesteel kits.

Mad Trapper
05-05-2021, 04:40 PM
Well yesterday.

I dug up a pail of leaks. 1/2 to eat, the other 1/2 to establish some more patches in my woods

RubberDuck
05-06-2021, 04:35 AM
Well yesterday.

I dug up a pail of leaks. 1/2 to eat, the other 1/2 to establish some more patches in my woodsIf you have the means the spring leek greens are quick and easy to dehydrate. I think I posted it a dehydrating thread. It is fine to load up the trays and overlap it only takes a few hours per batch and it is a very awesome addition to the seasoning cupboard. I use if in almost all my food great on eggs and great topper for a dry rub.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Mad Trapper
05-06-2021, 11:27 AM
If you have the means the spring leek greens are quick and easy to dehydrate. I think I posted it a dehydrating thread. It is fine to load up the trays and overlap it only takes a few hours per batch and it is a very awesome addition to the seasoning cupboard. I use if in almost all my food great on eggs and great topper for a dry rub.

Thanks, great idea! I've got two food dehydrators sitting idle now

hawgrider
05-06-2021, 03:54 PM
Thanks, great idea! I've got two food dehydrators sitting idle now

Yeah the dehydrated greens from the leaks are pretty good. We threw them away for years until the RubberDuck saw you could use them and eat them.

bigwheel
05-06-2021, 09:47 PM
We love everybody.

RubberDuck
05-07-2021, 01:27 PM
Scored 7 boxes of 410 and 200 rnds of 17hmr. Givin the current circumstances I got a fair deal
$12 each for 410 and $70 for 17hmr
The 410 isn't the specific shot I was looking for but with it being non existent I couldn't pass it uphttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210507/9b184511215b19f38cc9f7f682174047.jpg

Mad Trapper
05-07-2021, 02:05 PM
Yeah the dehydrated greens from the leaks are pretty good. We threw them away for years until the RubberDuck saw you could use them and eat them.

I've got a few buckets, some for eating, some to plant in woods

BucketBack
05-07-2021, 03:57 PM
Scored 7 boxes of 410 and 200 rnds of 17hmr. Givin the current circumstances I got a fair deal
$12 each for 410 and $70 for 17hmr
The 410 isn't the specific shot I was looking for but with it being non existent I couldn't pass it uphttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210507/9b184511215b19f38cc9f7f682174047.jpg

Save your hulls. Buy some dies.

Innkeeper
05-12-2021, 03:24 PM
Just bought 200 more rds of 9mm 124gr out of the check republic .47 a rd and 100 rds of 45 acp from Winchester for .64 a rd. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210512/b3b5f751a0832ab165711e7ae755a246.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210512/da3b3631f2558100b890040b7d98d703.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210512/49c33025a15de1818680fbafb18ecd51.jpg

hawgrider
05-12-2021, 03:27 PM
Score!

Innkeeper
05-12-2021, 03:37 PM
They had Remington 9mm 115gr, but I thought I would try something new.
Plus 30lbs of dog food.

Sasquatch
06-17-2021, 10:42 PM
My prep for the day was storing 9000 gallons of emergency drinking water. Hot Nursey and the kids think they got a pool. Shhhh.....

Mad Trapper
06-17-2021, 11:09 PM
My prep for the day was storing 9000 gallons of emergency drinking water. Hot Nursey and the kids think they got a pool. Shhhh.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPxiXGr9nFM

Sasquatch
06-17-2021, 11:37 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPxiXGr9nFM

Always a classic!

Prepared One
06-18-2021, 06:07 AM

Aren't you supposed to dig a whole and put that thing in the ground? :biglaugh:

Piratesailor
06-18-2021, 08:47 AM
Maybe not a “prep of the day” but it affects our preps. The house was previously all electric and now we have propane. When remodeling we put in a new commercial stove for the wife and with it went plumbing the house for propane. All this happened during the great freeze in texas. I also had them stub off a connection to my generator. The genset runs on 3 fuels.

And I started to reload 30-30 and .223. Was able to barter for powder and primers. Worked well considering the price point of my supplies vs what I was able to acquire.

But.. need more in the way of canned/stored food.

KnuteFartne
06-18-2021, 09:26 AM
Aren't you supposed to dig a whole and put that thing in the ground? :biglaugh:That's how you unfurry humans do it. Squatches do it the right way.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mad Trapper
06-18-2021, 09:26 AM
Maybe not a “prep of the day” but it affects our preps. The house was previously all electric and now we have propane. When remodeling we put in a new commercial stove for the wife and with it went plumbing the house for propane. All this happened during the great freeze in texas. I also had them stub off a connection to my generator. The genset runs on 3 fuels.

And I started to reload 30-30 and .223. Was able to barter for powder and primers. Worked well considering the price point of my supplies vs what I was able to acquire.

But.. need more in the way of canned/stored food.

Glad you found primers/powder. Which powder?

Look at IMR 3031 it loads both 30-30 and 223 well. In 223 w/55gr gives less pressure with much better velocity . The other one that works in both is IMR 4064

Mad Trapper
06-18-2021, 09:31 AM
That's how you unfurry humans do it. Squatches do it the right way.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Winter time here that would be a 9000-gal ice cube. I guess that could be a refrigerator sometime into June-July.............

Piratesailor
06-18-2021, 09:47 AM
Glad you found primers/powder. Which powder?

Look at IMR 3031 it loads both 30-30 and 223 well. In 223 w/55gr gives less pressure with much better velocity . The other one that works in both is IMR 4064

I was able to get a variety. Some 335, 3031 and a pound of the leverevolution for 30-30.

I’m waiting on the 223 dies to arrive next week and just received the 3030 dies.

With my neighbor we reloaded some 308 with the 335 and it performed very well. Better than I expected. Had sub moa at 100m. And it was the rifle, not the shooter. ;)

SOCOM42
06-18-2021, 05:02 PM
Putting the stuff together to change one M4 into a flattop, want to use an Eotec on it along with my NVG.

Will add a detachable handle for my L&S scope to sit on.

Waiting for the QD mount so that I can copy it in steel.

Also have to modify it to have a picatinny base for the sight.

It will also act as a riser to get just above the front sight.

Hope the SHTF does not happen before I am done, will have only 5 AR types available.:ar15:

Eh, got plenty of AK types and 14's.

bigwheel
06-18-2021, 09:17 PM
I ordered a cigarette finisher machine to put a nice crimp on my home rolled Marlboro barter supplies. It makes it look real professional and keeps the inside from falling out.
https://www.amazon.com/RYO-Cigarette-Finisher-Cigarettes-Automatic/dp/B07V3S99YQ

Mad Trapper
06-19-2021, 03:01 AM
I ordered a cigarette finisher machine to put a nice crimp on my home rolled Marlboro barter supplies. It makes it look real professional and keeps the inside from falling out.
https://www.amazon.com/RYO-Cigarette-Finisher-Cigarettes-Automatic/dp/B07V3S99YQ

Don't cough, if you don't get off.

And I quit weed a long time ago.

Chiefster23
06-20-2021, 08:37 AM
Here in PA we have been blessed with normal rainfall this spring. But I’m fearing nationwide power outages this summer. I have a spring and underground cistern that I use for irrigation. This week I plan to have the water tested for human consumption. I have treatment chemicals and means to boil, but I want to get a professional test so I know just exactly what I am dealing with. I’ve already stockpiled plenty of fuel for the generators and I’m in the process of increasing my solar array from 1000 to 1200 watts. Hope for the best and plan for the worst!

Sparkyprep
06-20-2021, 08:06 PM
Here in PA we have been blessed with normal rainfall this spring. But I’m fearing nationwide power outages this summer. I have a spring and underground cistern that I use for irrigation. This week I plan to have the water tested for human consumption. I have treatment chemicals and means to boil, but I want to get a professional test so I know just exactly what I am dealing with. I’ve already stockpiled plenty of fuel for the generators and I’m in the process of increasing my solar array from 1000 to 1200 watts. Hope for the best and plan for the worst!

THAT is preppin'!!!!

bigwheel
06-21-2021, 03:05 PM
Your a better man than I am...Gunga Din!

Chiefster23
06-23-2021, 05:52 AM
Several years ago I purchased several packets of pool shock as a substitute for bleach to disinfect water if necessary. The packaging has since disintegrated. So I found lab grade sodium hypochlorite on Amazon in hard plastic bottles. I bought 2 to store for emergencies and will use the old loose powder to disinfect my spring and cistern if the lab results show contamination. Events on the daily news programs are lighting a fire under my ass as far as prepping goes. There seems to be a ‘perfect storm’ brewing. I start reassembling my expanded solar panel array today.

FYI……. Pool shock (Sodium hypochlorite) is hard to find in my area. Pool merchants blame covid (of course) but if you need this item maybe you better not put off getting some. It is still available on line.

Prepared One
06-23-2021, 06:05 AM
Several years ago I purchased several packets of pool shock as a substitute for bleach to disinfect water if necessary. The packaging has since disintegrated. So I found lab grade sodium hypochlorite on Amazon in hard plastic bottles. I bought 2 to store for emergencies and will use the old loose powder to disinfect my spring and cistern if the lab results show contamination. Events on the daily news programs are lighting a fire under my ass as far as prepping goes. There seems to be a ‘perfect storm’ brewing. I start reassembling my expanded solar panel array today.

FYI……. Pool shock (Sodium hypochlorite) is hard to find in my area. Pool merchants blame covid (of course) but if you need this item maybe you better not put off getting some. It is still available on line.

I agree, I think that storm we so much feared was on the horizon, is here.

Chiefster23
06-23-2021, 07:47 AM
Driving around lately, I see that new car lots are virtually empty of new cars. There are used, but few if any new cars. The chip shortage is blamed. Most chips are made in Taiwan. What happens when China takes Taiwan back? Most of our antibiotics are still made in China. What happens when they shut off the tap? Try buying spare parts for almost anything…… again, made in China. Our country is so f—ked! You’re right! The perfect storm is here! Just waiting for the spark to ignite the ‘boom’. It’s coming, and soon. I think we will be living a much different existence before fall comes this year. Summer heat, fires, violence, food shortages and food price increases, gas and heating oil prices skyrocketing, are all going to combine to set it all off. China will take advantage to move while we are distracted and senile old Joe won’t do shit about it. Buckle up!

Sparkyprep
06-23-2021, 02:47 PM
Driving around lately, I see that new car lots are virtually empty of new cars. There are used, but few if any new cars. The chip shortage is blamed. Most chips are made in Taiwan. What happens when China takes Taiwan back? Most of our antibiotics are still made in China. What happens when they shut off the tap? Try buying spare parts for almost anything…… again, made in China. Our country is so f—ked! You’re right! The perfect storm is here! Just waiting for the spark to ignite the ‘boom’. It’s coming, and soon. I think we will be living a much different existence before fall comes this year. Summer heat, fires, violence, food shortages and food price increases, gas and heating oil prices skyrocketing, are all going to combine to set it all off. China will take advantage to move while we are distracted and senile old Joe won’t do shit about it. Buckle up!

And we put ourselves in this situation. Americans are addicted to cheap, Chinese crap.

BucketBack
06-23-2021, 04:41 PM
Gimmie some Jap Crap from years ago.

It looks like South Korea is moving up

Inor
06-23-2021, 10:32 PM
The guinea keets came today! They are a LOT smaller than even the chicks. But everybody seems happy and healthy.

Their job, once they are big enough, will be to control bugs in the gardens and on the fruit trees and to kill vermin.

I think this completes our animal collecting, at least in the immediate term. I want to wait a year or so before we add anything else to make sure the animals we have already are working together as we designed it.

I am still thinking about adding a couple bee hives just to try and increase production on the fruit trees and the gardens. But I am a little hesitant on that one because I am afraid they will attract the African bees and because we already have enough honey put back to feed an army. Although it would be fun to make the hives...

Prepared One
06-24-2021, 05:12 AM
The guinea keets came today! They are a LOT smaller than even the chicks. But everybody seems happy and healthy.

Their job, once they are big enough, will be to control bugs in the gardens and on the fruit trees and to kill vermin.

I think this completes our animal collecting, at least in the immediate term. I want to wait a year or so before we add anything else to make sure the animals we have already are working together as we designed it.

I am still thinking about adding a couple bee hives just to try and increase production on the fruit trees and the gardens. But I am a little hesitant on that one because I am afraid they will attract the African bees and because we already have enough honey put back to feed an army. Although it would be fun to make the hives...

bigwheel
06-24-2021, 11:06 PM

I agree with you heartily on the pool shock being better than bleach for sanitizing drinking water in a pinch. Somebody posted a recipe on how to turn small amounts into user friendly size batches of slurry. I have always been interested in solar water distillers made of glass storm doors. In fact I have two thats been on hand for several years which just needs a smart person to figure out how to make one for me. lol.

bigwheel
06-24-2021, 11:24 PM
They also make good Watchdogs and Guinea Gumbo according to one of dear old partners from Jouston. If keets are baby Guineas of course. Those look like fuzzy insects or something.
https://acadianatable.com/2020/11/16/guinea-gumbo/

inceptor
06-24-2021, 11:37 PM

A zoom meeting I was on today featured a talk by a local beekeeper. One of the subjects was Africanized bees. They are a cross breed between African and South American bees. He stated that here in North Texas we are on the upper most line of where they can survive and they don't like it much here. I didn't know they don't like cold weather and we do get some at time. Something to consider about your area.

Inor
06-24-2021, 11:51 PM
A zoom meeting I was on today featured a talk by a local beekeeper. One of the subjects was Africanized bees. They are a cross breed between African and South American bees. He stated that here in North Texas we are on the upper most line of where they can survive and they don't like it much here. I didn't know they don't like cold weather and we do get some at time. Something to consider about your area.

The whole bee thing is an after-thought that I have been noodling for a couple years primarily for pollinating the gardens. Mrs Inor was talking with a local beekeeper last summer. They have about 2000 hives and they just expect to lose 10% per year to the Africa bees. Since I really do not want to attract Africa bees, we have to do some more thinking on this one before making a decision. (We have enough shit in the area that will kill us without trying to attract more.)

Chiefster23
06-25-2021, 09:30 AM
Just finished cementing in my last corner post brace on my enlarged solar panel array. At 70 arthritic years old it now takes me days to accomplish what used to take me 8 hours. But the job is now completed and making power. 1200 watts of panels, 80 amp charge controller, 2kw inverter, and 750 amp-hr of batteries. Not a big system, but it will keep the critical stuff in business if we get hit with a prolonged power outage.

I am gradually putting the finishing touches on all my prepping projects that never got completely finished or upgraded over the years. Keep looking for a certain model shotgun I’ve been after for a year and a half. Gathering components for a drinking water sand filter. I’ve thought about these projects before and even made some headway towards completion. But now I’m driving towards finishing because time may be running short.

Chiefster23
07-14-2021, 05:25 AM
Today the power company is replacing a pole just down the road from me. Our power is supposted to be off for 5 to 6 hours. This is a good mini-test for my preps and planning. I have my small gas genny ready to go and extension cords and related equipment all set. I’m sure I will find one thing or another I’m forgetting. Oh boy! I can’t wait!

Chiefster23
07-16-2021, 12:08 PM
The power company replaced the pole and we had a 4 hour outage. Not very long, but a small test just the same. Everything went smooth except i found one outlet in a bedroom that was mislabled as to which circuit breaker it was on. All in all, a sucessful drill.

Sparkyprep
07-18-2021, 05:57 PM
I got a tip about our local YMCA cutting down some oak trees in their parking lot. I just happen to have the gate code. Went there after hours to help "clean up" the mess. Ended up with a 14' trailer load of fire wood.

Sasquatch
07-24-2021, 08:09 PM
Me and the boy camouflaged the outside fridge today. You know in case the marauders get past my defenses they won't see it.

Slippy
07-24-2021, 10:48 PM
Me and the boy camouflaged the outside fridge today. You know in case the marauders get past my defenses they won't see it.

Back Pack Hack
07-24-2021, 10:58 PM

I still can't see it.

Sasquatch
07-25-2021, 03:14 AM

You're gonna have to tell me how you do that because the pic I posted was right side up. I've tried to figure it out but so far nuttin.

Jester-ND
07-25-2021, 09:00 AM
found 2 cases of canning lids @ walmart......... We got drawn for 4 buck tags this fall and 1 doe.... May go buy a lottery ticket...

Slippy
07-25-2021, 09:03 AM
found 2 cases of canning lids @ walmart......... We got drawn for 4 buck tags this fall and 1 doe.... May go buy a lottery ticket...

Living the dream, Kid, living the dream!

:headbang:

Mad Trapper
07-25-2021, 09:41 AM
Living the dream, Kid, living the dream!

:headbang:

Thought this would be you ordered the 357(s)..........

Michael_Js
07-25-2021, 07:37 PM
canned 4 quarts of garden fresh blueberries and 3 quarts of garden fresh strawberries - Jammin'!

Cleaned out the cistern, the $700+ sump pump is burned out...needs to be replaced :(

Peace,
Michael J.

Sparkyprep
07-25-2021, 08:04 PM
canned 4 quarts of garden fresh blueberries and 3 quarts of garden fresh strawberries - Jammin'!

Cleaned out the cistern, the $700+ sump pump is burned out...needs to be replaced :(

Peace,
Michael J.

That sux.....

MountainGirl
07-25-2021, 08:56 PM
You're gonna have to tell me how you do that because the pic I posted was right side up. I've tried to figure it out but so far nuttin.

Maybe try this:
After you take the pic with your phone, edit it right away. Even just trimming off an edge a few pixels and clicking Save. For whatever reason, when I don't do that it loads up sideways; when I remember to do it it comes in right side up. When it's an old pic you want to share from your phone, open it up, do the edit trick, click Save, and that's the one to upload.

Back Pack Hack
07-25-2021, 09:48 PM

Sometimes stripping the EXIF data from an image before your upload will solve the issue.

Sasquatch
07-25-2021, 10:03 PM
Sometimes stripping the EXIF data from an image before your upload will solve the issue.

What part of China are you from because I don't even know what language you're speaking.

Back Pack Hack
07-25-2021, 10:33 PM
What part of China are you from because I don't even know what language you're speaking.

https://expertphotography.com/understanding-exif-data/EXIF data.

Sasquatch
07-26-2021, 12:34 AM
https://expertphotography.com/understanding-exif-data/EXIF data.

Oh great, now I gotta learn stuff!

Mad Trapper
07-26-2021, 06:12 AM

Peace,
Michael J.

Do you have a slope below the cistern? Could siphon that out with a few hoses and no need for a pump, might have to prime the hoses Gravity is free!!!!

MountainGirl
07-26-2021, 09:03 AM
Oh great, now I gotta learn stuff!

Might be editing strips it. :thumb:

Michael_Js
07-26-2021, 10:22 AM
Do you have a slope below the cistern? Could siphon that out with a few hoses and no need for a pump, might have to prime the hoses Gravity is free!!!!

Not really...the cistern gathers all the water from the property - designed with a small slope for gravity feed to the cistern - then the pump pushes it out to the nearby creek. Even the pump that it in there can't handle the flow of water during the winter months. We're now looking at installing a larger pump, but they don't have the same fittings as the current one...working on it.

thank you,
Peace,
Michael J.

Mad Trapper
07-26-2021, 10:39 AM
Not really...the cistern gathers all the water from the property - designed with a small slope for gravity feed to the cistern - then the pump pushes it out to the nearby creek. Even the pump that it in there can't handle the flow of water during the winter months. We're now looking at installing a larger pump, but they don't have the same fittings as the current one...working on it.

thank you,
Peace,
Michael J.

Check you elevations, creeks as you described is/must be lower?

My house is only a few feet higher than my garden, but I gravity feed collected rain water from the roof.

My grandparents water was all spring fed. Head of a creek/spring was a cistern, it gravity fed a 2nd cistern downstream that fed the whole farm. Both cisterns had overflows back to the creek. Only had to keep cisterns covered/rodent proof and clean some screens and filters.

Michael_Js
07-26-2021, 10:43 AM
Check you elevations, creeks as you described is/must be lower?

My house is only a few feet higher than my garden, but I gravity feed collected rain water from the roof.

My grandparents water was all spring fed. Head of a creek/spring was a cistern, it gravity fed a 2nd cistern downstream that fed the whole farm. Both cisterns had overflows back to the creek. Only had to keep cisterns covered/rodent proof and clean some screens and filters.

The bottom of the cistern is lower than the creek. The 2" PVC from the pump goes up about 3-4', then out to the creek. I know, I was in there taking out the pump and cleaning the cistern, just yesterday ;) Not fun for someone who is claustrophobic! I didn't design the system, just trying to get it going again. It's the end of a long (300+ yards?) French drain that starts at the neighbor's property all the way to our side. They have a spring, as do we, and their runoff flows onto out property. So we're handling a lot of water during Seattle, WA rainy seasons. It's not for water collection but only to get the excess water off our property and into the creek.

thank you,
Peace,
Michael J.

Peace,
Michael J.

Mad Trapper
07-26-2021, 11:22 AM
Run the outlet, farther down the creek, below cistern, simple solution and cheap. If outlet to creek, is off property, explain and ask permission. Some states creeks stream/ beds are not owned so ......open

Then you never need to pump, just suck suction cistern too siphon.

Oh, yea be good neighbors. From what I've seen Michael, giving neighbor some produce will mend any bridges to running a drain line.....

Sparkyprep
07-28-2021, 07:18 PM

Decided to up my welding game. Sold off the old tombstone stick welder, and got myself set up with a MIG/TIG/stick rig. Now, I can pretty much fix anything.

MountainGirl
07-29-2021, 11:47 AM
Since the possibility of my being snowed in all winter has increased substantially, I'm re-evaluating my food & supplies preps. I'm giving the foods I can't eat to the neighbors to make more room for what I can eat.

Also, made arrangement with a neighbor; he's going to harvest the trees on our property that Tom and I were going to take this season; drop, haul in, split, stack (I'll help stack) - on a 'one for me, one for you' deal. That should give me more than half of what I'll need. :thumb:

Much to do before winter.

Mad Trapper
07-29-2021, 11:58 AM
Bear has been screwing with garden , orchard, berries.

I checked laws. Hawken is loaded and 3 speed loaders

SOCOM42
07-29-2021, 12:24 PM

Decided to up my welding game. Sold off the old tombstone stick welder, and got myself set up with a MIG/TIG/stick rig. Now, I can pretty much fix anything.

I had an old Forney tombstone a long long time ago.

I bought a 150 amp TIG machine that was needed more than anything else.

I have water and air cooled torches for it, small, medium and large. i use straight argon with it.

I then bought a Miller 250 amp MIG machine, that almost put me in the welding business.

The miller MIG takes up to 50 pound spools inside.

I was going through a 50 pound spool and 2 large tanks of C25 a week at one time doing fabrication.

Have two different size guns for it A Tweco #2 and a Bernard that takes .045" wire.

I wore out the Miller gun that came with the machine.

The piece of cake here is the 50 amp Plasma cutter.

I use the TIG the most, it is like a gas torch but with instant heat.

I found that once I went to the wire machine I would never go back to stick.

The TIG is the same way, hardly ever use the gas except for silver solder and brazing.

At one time with the TIG I could weld 2 paper clips together, really!

Have had both machines since 1975.

You wonder how you did without that wire machine, no voids and 75% less spatter.

Sparkyprep
08-06-2021, 06:30 PM
Bought and installed a brand-new bar and chain on my Stihl chainsaw. Had some troubles on my last firewood adventure. No more problems. The 'ol saw is ready to rip it up again.

Jester-ND
08-08-2021, 11:30 AM
canning here.. did strawberry syrup last night. beef stew and bean&ham soup today

BucketBack
08-08-2021, 12:13 PM
Fed Ex has been busy bringing my $35 + orders to my door.

Going through the food preps. I donated some slightly out of date can goods. The panty through them out, saying only in date cans are acceptable.

OK, I should eat the out of date can goods and donate my new stock? I don't think so.

Mad Trapper
08-08-2021, 04:06 PM
Fed Ex has been busy bringing my $35 + orders to my door.

Going through the food preps. I donated some slightly out of date can goods. The panty through them out, saying only in date cans are acceptable.

OK, I should eat the out of date can goods and donate my new stock? I don't think so.

You are foolish to throw out of date out, unless damaged or poorly stored. Use them up and rotate stock.

I have home canned stuff that is still fine and 10 years old.

MountainGirl
08-08-2021, 04:31 PM
Girlfriend took me to Disneyland, aka Costco, yesterday. Got TP & rice, 12 jars of Huckleberry Jam, case of canned chicken.
Built a new crib for firewood, had first cord of Tamarac delivered Friday; that's one down, 7 to go. Much to do.

MoreAmmoOK
10-30-2021, 07:33 PM
Filled 20, one gallon mylar bags with beans and rice and put em in 5 gal buckets. Gotta learn how to can ham to go with em. I've got an All American 25qt canner that needs to be put to use.

Sasquatch
10-30-2021, 07:39 PM
Bought another 5g Jerry can for gas bringing my total up to 25g.

1skrewsloose
10-31-2021, 05:59 AM
Bought a bottle of Sta-bil at Menards a week ago, $8, treats 40 gal. Two days ago hardware store next town over had bottles that treat 80 gal for $6 each, got 3. Score!

My old 4x4 sits for 11 months out of the year, 35 gal tank. I keep it full.

BucketBack
10-31-2021, 06:06 AM
I know some friends that have had issues with stabil.

Think boats in marinas.

If the seals on the Jerry can are good, stabil is not needed.

1skrewsloose
10-31-2021, 07:40 AM
I've heard of folks having issues too. From what I've read if you stick to the recommended ratio you're OK.

Not this "if some is good more is better" stuff, too much will cause the engine to run rough.

spork
04-02-2022, 05:07 PM
Seems like this thread has died, so I might as well revive it.

I spent the afternoon working on repairs to the soon to be "Rabbit Barn". They're temporarily housed in one of the garages and I'm ready to try and get them moved out. The barn is pretty rough and neglected but it's starting to take shape. I squared it back on the concrete pad as it had moved 8 inches one direction and about 4 another, and no longer fully sat on concrete. Then I cut out the old damaged rotted wall on one end, installed an actual header for the door opening since there wasn't one and rebuilt the one wall.

Today's portion of the project was rebuilding the other side and sheeting the wall on the exterior and started installing siding. Other than the boards for the header, everything has been scavenged for free. A good friend has supplied me with 2x4s (they're used for separating sheet metal on shipments to his work and normally get thrown away). The epoxy coated screws and plywood were from disassembly of shipping crates at work, and the siding is a stack of 5.5" wide wooden fence planks that some one had replaced. 75% of the fence was still good so I picked up a pickup load for free awhile back. With the price of lumber. This project would've been outrageously expensive, but so far has cost me about $40.

With the rising cost of meat, I'm glad we have our rabbits. Mmmm Mmmm Tasty!

Sparkyprep
04-02-2022, 05:14 PM

I spent the afternoon working on repairs to the soon to be "Rabbit Barn". They're temporarily housed in one of the garages and I'm ready to try and get them moved out. The barn is pretty rough and neglected but it's starting to take shape. I squared it back on the concrete pad as it had moved 8 inches one direction and about 4 another, and no longer fully sat on concrete. Then I cut out the old damaged rotted wall on one end, installed an actual header for the door opening since there wasn't one and rebuilt the one wall.

Today's portion of the project was rebuilding the other side and sheeting the wall on the exterior and started installing siding. Other than the boards for the header, everything has been scavenged for free. A good friend has supplied me with 2x4s (they're used for separating sheet metal on shipments to his work and normally get thrown away). The epoxy coated screws and plywood were from disassembly of shipping crates at work, and the siding is a stack of 5.5" wide wooden fence planks that some one had replaced. 75% of the fence was still good so I picked up a pickup load for free awhile back. With the price of lumber. This project would've been outrageously expensive, but so far has cost me about $40.

I do love the occasional rabbit stew or fried rabbit.

Sparkyprep
04-02-2022, 05:15 PM
Well, this is my prep of the day for tomorrow- I am picking my steer up from the butcher. 650 lbs. of beef. Total cost- $500

Sparkyprep
04-02-2022, 05:16 PM
P.S.- Thanks for bringing this thread back, Spork. It is one of my favorites.

hawgrider
04-02-2022, 05:32 PM

A must try rabbit recipe. https://theoutdoortradingpost.com/showthread.php?17363-Rabbit-hunt/page3#post199417

TJC44
04-02-2022, 06:09 PM
Well, this is my prep of the day for tomorrow- I am picking my steer up from the butcher. 650 lbs. of beef. Total cost- $500

Holy crap, Sparky! You made out like a bandit. We don't have to worry about the neighbors lynching you for cattle rustling, do we?

SOCOM42
04-02-2022, 08:02 PM
Well, today I spent time posting useless shit here that most pass over.

On top of that futile action, I put back the canned goods into storage that we picked up at Wally world yesterday.

Always adding to the larder, will pick up more Monday on the way back from Doc. appointment, for migraines.

I hate going there, 50 miles away and the sun is in my face all the way back, now the damn gas prices enter the picture.

I wanted to add some more 50 pound bags of rice, those would be to replace what we used over the winter, 125# gone so far.

There were none, just 25 pound jobs, passed on them for now, my other shot at the 50's is Monday on the way back home.

I also greased the B/C group in my M4, counted 24 loaded 30 rnd. mags between the bedroom and the kitchen door, overkill?

hawgrider
04-02-2022, 08:27 PM
Well, today I spent time posting useless shit here that most pass over.

On top of that futile action, I put back the canned goods into storage that we picked up at Wally world yesterday.

Always adding to the larder, will pick up more Monday on the way back from Doc. appointment, for migraines.

I hate going there, 50 miles away and the sun is in my face all the way back, now the damn gas prices enter the picture.

I wanted to add some more 50 pound bags of rice, those would be to replace what we used over the winter, 125# gone so far.

There were none, just 25 pound jobs, passed on them for now, my other shot at the 50's is Monday on the way back home.

I also greased the B/C group in my M4, counted 24 loaded 30 rnd. mags between the bedroom and the kitchen door, overkill?

I read every post you made today. Every post is a gem and we value your presence here!

StratBastard
04-02-2022, 09:06 PM
I read every post you made today. Every post is a gem and we value your presence here!

Me too... don't want to miss the chance to learn something from SOCOM.

Jester-ND
04-02-2022, 09:09 PM
I suffered through the sticker shock picking up 2-5qt jugs of 5w-20... over 20 bucks each.....

hawgrider
04-02-2022, 09:13 PM
I suffered through the sticker shock picking up 2-5qt jugs of 5w-20... over 20 bucks each.....

Yeah liquid gold!

Jester-ND
04-02-2022, 09:15 PM
and then picked up $400 more worth of walmart crap....

Piratesailor
04-03-2022, 09:35 AM
We added on to the back of our garage. But while doing so I borrowed the skid steer and dug up a 30x20’ part of the south pasture. Wife ordered 25 yards of good organic garden soil and then plotted out the garden. She planted a ton of things the other day. Depending on how it goes she is considering expanding the garden. We’ll also start canning and we’ve talked with neighbors about their participation.

Piratesailor
04-03-2022, 09:37 AM
And we need to stock up on the rice and beans aspect too.

Already have Plenty of band-aides and bullets. ;)

Slippy
04-03-2022, 11:02 AM
Excellent job Piratesailor!

We added on to the back of our garage. But while doing so I borrowed the skid steer and dug up a 30x20’ part of the south pasture. Wife ordered 25 yards of good organic garden soil and then plotted out the garden. She planted a ton of things the other day. Depending on how it goes she is considering expanding the garden. We’ll also start canning and we’ve talked with neighbors about their participation.

Prepared One
04-03-2022, 03:40 PM
And we need to stock up on the rice and beans aspect too.

Already have Plenty of band-aides and bullets. ;)

MG has been working her tail off getting East Texas in order. Beans, rice, canned goods, ammo, fencing, and a whole bunch of other projects. She wants it up and running if we have to bolt out of Houston. We are dividing up the Houston storage and putting extra in up there so it's basically move in ready if we are forced out by events. That storm we all have been dreading, I fear it has arrived.

Inor
04-03-2022, 07:08 PM
The meat chickens have been working out well so far, so I have been boning up on what it would take to get set up to raise some turkeys. I do not want to keep them with the chickens, partly due to space and partly due to some folks saying that turkeys and chickens together can create disease problems in both.

From what I am seeing so far, it looks like I should be able to get by with a modest shelter - maybe just a 3 sided thing with a roof and a roost. I can put it in the donkey pasture so the donkeys can keep the yotes away at night. That would also save the work/expense of running another water line.

I am not totally sold on the idea of raising turkeys yet because Mrs Inor and I just do not eat that much turkey. I cannot imagine the 2 of us going through more than 2-3 of them per year. But if we raise a few extras and sell them to our neighbors, that might be a workable solution.

Mrs Inor called my attention to a news story from Minnesota a couple days ago where the entire state is shutting down the sale of all poultry for a month this spring because of the bird flu. That, along with Brandon's inflation, is going to cause poultry price to go up significantly.

1skrewsloose
04-04-2022, 07:49 AM
Iowa too, laying hens, eggs went from $1.50 to $3.00/doz in 2 weeks here.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/money/agriculture/2022/03/29/usda-join-iowa-responding-bird-flu-outbreaks-agriculture-secretary/7206660001/

Jester-ND
04-04-2022, 08:02 AM
The meat chickens have been working out well so far, so I have been boning up on what it would take to get set up to raise some turkeys. I do not want to keep them with the chickens, partly due to space and partly due to some folks saying that turkeys and chickens together can create disease problems in both.

From what I am seeing so far, it looks like I should be able to get by with a modest shelter - maybe just a 3 sided thing with a roof and a roost. I can put it in the donkey pasture so the donkeys can keep the yotes away at night. That would also save the work/expense of running another water line.

I am not totally sold on the idea of raising turkeys yet because Mrs Inor and I just do not eat that much turkey. I cannot imagine the 2 of us going through more than 2-3 of them per year. But if we raise a few extras and sell them to our neighbors, that might be a workable solution.

Mrs Inor called my attention to a news story from Minnesota a couple days ago where the entire state is shutting down the sale of all poultry for a month this spring because of the bird flu. That, along with Brandon's inflation, is going to cause poultry price to go up significantly.

peoplee I have heard from said they wouldn't butcher turkeys again... too messy.. but tasty!

TJC44
04-04-2022, 08:58 AM

Maybe you should look at a dairy cow too, Farmer Inor. I went to the store Sunday and almost shit when I saw store-brand butter, a box of 4 sticks, for......get this....

$3.99!!!

WTF!!!

StratBastard
04-04-2022, 05:38 PM
peoplee I have heard from said they wouldn't butcher turkeys again... too messy.. but tasty!

Yeah, my buddy who hunts them says it's pretty labor intensive to dress out a turkey. Never done it myself.

Sparkyprep
04-04-2022, 06:11 PM
Holy crap, Sparky! You made out like a bandit. We don't have to worry about the neighbors lynching you for cattle rustling, do we?

oh no. it was all mine. And, my butcher is a close friend and neigbor, so he cuts be a break.

Broncosfan
04-04-2022, 08:07 PM
Not sure if its really a prep but I ordered a whole beef. Won't be sent to the butcher until Sept 18.

SOCOM42
04-04-2022, 08:23 PM
In an earlier posting, I said that all the Walmart's around here were out of all brands of spaghetti, still are as of today.

Well, after said doctor appointment we stopped at a store called Ocean State, they had the stuff and plenty of it.

We bought four boxes of six pounds each for $4.00 a box, total $16.00, would have cost $24.00 at wally world.

That was all rat holed when we got back here.

TJC44
04-04-2022, 09:01 PM
In an earlier posting, I said that all the Walmart's around here were out of all brands of spaghetti, still are as of today.

Well, after said doctor appointment we stopped at a store called Ocean State, they had the stuff and plenty of it.

We bought four boxes of six pounds each for $4.00 a box, total $16.00, would have cost $24.00 at wally world.

I like OSJL. They have an odd assortment of stuff, good prices. You can usually find something useful there.

SOCOM42
04-04-2022, 10:54 PM
I like OSJL. They have an odd assortment of stuff, good prices. You can usually find something useful there.

I went to the one in Westboro Ma., right off RT-9.

Only go there when we have a doctors appointment out there in Westboro, we live 24 miles west of Worcester.

Way to far to go otherwise, they do have some good buys there though.

The one near us, about 12 miles is only a quarter of the size and limited in selections of everything.

Last year at the local one, I got a tea kettle so cheap and it is a great one,

I went back and bought 2 more of them, rat holed them.

These were made out of stainless steel with a flip up spout.

StratBastard
04-04-2022, 11:36 PM

In my area, every time there is a supply scare the Top Raman and toilet paper isles are stripped bare. Reveals how very little thought the majority of people have put into being prepared. Imagine having a pantry full of Raman and nothing else to eat for a coupla months LOL.

Jester-ND
04-05-2022, 07:41 AM

walmart pasta shelves were bare when I was there saturday.... only several small boxes out of everyone's reach.

Piratesailor
04-05-2022, 07:44 AM
A little lite reading that should interest many.

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/20-facts-about-emerging-global-food-shortage-should-chill-you-core

SOCOM42
04-05-2022, 10:29 AM
walmart pasta shelves were bare when I was there saturday.... only several small boxes out of everyone's reach.

A lot of times at wally world, I use my cane to pull stuff off the top shelf that cannot be reached, same applies in the soda aisle.

Yeah, I can walk without the cane, I use it to take the pressure off of the hip joint, less pain when walking long distances.

SOCOM42
04-05-2022, 10:32 AM
In my area, every time there is a supply scare the Top Raman and toilet paper isles are stripped bare. Reveals how very little thought the majority of people have put into being prepared. Imagine having a pantry full of Raman and nothing else to eat for a coupla months LOL.

With me that Ramen is an effective laxative, I keep away from it.

Oh, I do have plenty of TP put away.

Jester-ND
04-05-2022, 01:27 PM
A lot of times at wally world, I use my cane to pull stuff off the top shelf that cannot be reached, same applies in the soda aisle.

Yeah, I can walk without the cane, I use it to take the pressure off of the hip joint, less pain when walking long distances.

I usually get asked to grab off the top shelf for others... comes in handy when bottom shelves are bare!

spork
04-05-2022, 05:10 PM
I managed to find 16-2lb boxes of spaghetti at wally world yesterday. It's been pretty bare in the past like others have mentioned.Some of it gets stored away and some of it goes to the food bank as we're collecting spaghetti this year for the annual food drive.

I also bought laminate sheeting to line the inside walls of the the rabbit barn. Not cheap stuff. After getting home I questioned my plan and I think I'm going to return it all and buy much cheaper vinyl/linoleum sheet flooring and put that on the walls instead. It'll be about 1/4 the price and should still be pretty easy to clean up (which was the original idea in doing it this way.) I just wish I had thought of that idea before I bought and loaded all the other stuff. Only plus side is I haven't unloaded it yet so it'll be easy to return.

One of rabbits had babies today so I guess that counts as a prep of the day as well. If my count is right, we are up to 29 grow-outs. Sell the best, eat the rest!

Prepared One
04-05-2022, 06:13 PM
It's going to get much, much, worse and Biden has no freakin clue.

Sparkyprep
04-18-2022, 06:57 PM
Just got done building a home-made, weatherproof chicken feeder

SOCOM42
04-18-2022, 08:28 PM
Went to Wallyworld today.

They still had no spaghetti in stock, but did have store brand Bow Tie pasta, took 10 boxes out of about 30.

Hamburger, 80% lean was $14.50 for three pound tube!

Store baked Italian bread, usually $.99 a loaf is $1.28 now.

There wasn't a can of lima beans to be had on the shelves, plenty of black, kidney, chili and navy beans though.

Bottled water racks were almost empty, when there are any, I usually buy gallon jugs of distilled water and rathole them away.

Use some for lab work and some for batteries, most is for SHTF, I fill unused spaces with them that is not good for food storage.

Last time I was there I bought 10, 1# bags of linguini in place of the spaghetti,

it appears people missed it because of the packaging & location.

I had gotten the spaghetti at Ocean State Job Lot on a trip to doctors 40 miles away, they HAD quite a bit.

Over the course of two previous weeks, we went to Wally every other day on recon,

found out that Mondays provided the greatest chance of getting what we wanted, today proved out that premise.

We go during the day while others are at work, today the parking lot was half empty,

unusual for it, all the disabled spaces were open, took one.

Tomorrow I have to package some of my shop made products and send to customers, more prep money.

StratBastard
04-18-2022, 11:42 PM
We have a new Winco in the 'hood with a grand opening. Lotsa stuff available at loss leader prices. I have been going in buying cans of green beans and black beans at .50 each. Loading up. Large canned chicken breast at $1.68. Busting out with those too. Those little envelopes of fajita and burrito spices (great when you're cooking out of cans) for .48.

MountainGirl
04-19-2022, 06:51 AM
I'm still stocking up TenOaks, so lots of stuff happening... but my absolute best prep so far is the T-handled contraption I had put in to bring water to the surface in the shallow-well. Spigot on one end of the handle, 3-strokes up and down and water comes out the attached hose into a clean bucket. Just like up on the mountain, I'll live without a lot of things - but water wont be one of them.

Piratesailor
04-21-2022, 10:17 AM
Just an FYI on our garden and seeds. A number of years ago I bought a few packets for “heirloom “ seed on amazon. Bought them as a “just in case”. Probably been 10 years ago for the oldest and 3 years ago for the newest pack.

So the wife decided to plant them in our garden an low and behold, they all germinated and sprouted and are growing fantastic. I’m duly impressed.

Jester-ND
05-21-2022, 01:54 PM
Finally fired up our freeze-dryer.... most important batches went first.... skittles, starburst, and gummy bears. Have 15 lb of deer burger going now, 50lb more to brown and dry.

hawgrider
05-21-2022, 02:13 PM
Skittles and gummy bears? Yuck...
Must be for your chillens eh!

T-Man 1066
05-21-2022, 03:26 PM
I bought a 2 channel wireless temerature monitor for the refrigerator and deep freeze. Flea bay, about 23$. In a short term power outage - several days, where we are trying to intermittently run our refrigerators and freezers on a generator, I used to try to cycle them a couple hours 2 or 3 times a day to conserve fuel, but never really know how well they kept temperature, or if it was enough, or whatever. So I am going to wait for a fairly warm day, lets say 80 deg or better, and unplug the deep freeze, and monitor how long it takes warm up to lets say 34-38 degrees, then plug it back in, and see how long to cool it back down. May be good intel to know how much we really need to run our generators if power did go out for a good while.

I will update when I try it out.

SOCOM42
05-21-2022, 04:56 PM
Adding a new CCTV system with wireless cameras. adding to the old system with wired cameras.

I am putting them in to monitor my fuel tanks and comm. shelters where food and ammo is stored.

The cameras are crazy, they can be programmed to follow a human as they are moving.

They can also set off an alarm if needed and send alarm to phone.

Will have 360 degree coverage so to speak when done, one will focus on the entry road and follow whoever it is.

two cameras came today, will have another repeater(monitor)in bedroom and living room coming out of the office.

There already are people stealing fuel from cars and tanks in the area.

They will only record when they see motion, can reject animal movement.

We have raccoons and possums that feed off of what I put out for them.

These are the cameras I am using.

Jester-ND
05-21-2022, 05:51 PM
Skittles and gummy bears? Yuck...
Must be for your chillens eh!

once you freeze dry them they become a different candy entirely....

SOCOM42
05-21-2022, 08:50 PM
I'm still stocking up Ten Oaks, so lots of stuff happening... but my absolute best prep so far is the T-handled contraption I had put in to bring water to the surface in the shallow-well. Spigot on one end of the handle, 3-strokes up and down and water comes out the attached hose into a clean bucket. Just like up on the mountain, I'll live without a lot of things - but water wont be one of them.

I have a pitcher pump for my well along with an electric one if I ever need it, the well is just there, I live off of town water.

I have the lake out front as a final option, can bring back 25 gallons at a time and filter it.

Water is not a problem for me, plus I have a 100 gallons of potable water stored inside if ever needed.

At least you are prepping for independence.

StratBastard
05-22-2022, 01:40 AM
I have a pitcher pump for my well along with an electric one if I ever need it, the well is just there, I live off of town water.

I have the lake out front as a final option, can bring back 25 gallons at a time and filter it.

Water is not a problem for me, plus I have a 100 gallons of potable water stored inside if ever needed.

At least you are prepping for independence.

Water was a concern for as well. When I bought my little place here out in the county (and away from the city) I was 100 yards from the McKenzie river... the very river I grew up on in the 60's. A spot just BEFORE it hits the city... so clean snow melt water. A quick filter, and good to go.

Box of frogs
05-22-2022, 06:27 AM
Just an FYI on our garden and seeds. A number of years ago I bought a few packets for “heirloom “ seed on amazon. Bought them as a “just in case”. Probably been 10 years ago for the oldest and 3 years ago for the newest pack.

So the wife decided to plant them in our garden an low and behold, they all germinated and sprouted and are growing fantastic. I’m duly impressed.

That is very good information. Thanks for sharing that.
I had wondered if seed banking was worthwhile. I didn’t know if the % germination rate went down over time and exposure.
Did you do anything to preserve the seed or just leave them in original packaging?
Thanks - BoF

Slippy
05-22-2022, 08:37 AM

Yep. I'm amazed at old seeds that still germinate. Good reminder to not toss out old seeds. We have some in the freezer that every year we plant a few of them with success.

Prepared One
05-22-2022, 09:25 AM
Adding a new CCTV system with wireless cameras. adding to the old system with wired cameras.

I am putting them in to monitor my fuel tanks and comm. shelters where food and ammo is stored.

The cameras are crazy, they can be programmed to follow a human as they are moving.

They can also set off an alarm if needed and send alarm to phone.

Will have 360 degree coverage so to speak when done, one will focus on the entry road and follow whoever it is.

two cameras came today, will have another repeater(monitor)in bedroom and living room coming out of the office.

There already are people stealing fuel from cars and tanks in the area.

They will only record when they see motion, can reject animal movement.

We have raccoons and possums that feed off of what I put out for them.

These are the cameras I am using.

Cameras are the next thing going in here at Ten Oaks. Security cameras are a great force multiplier. We have been doing a lot of work here getting the place ready. I fear the time is growing short.

SOCOM42
05-22-2022, 11:12 AM
Cameras are the next thing going in here at Ten Oaks. Security cameras are a great force multiplier. We have been doing a lot of work here getting the place ready. I fear the time is growing short.

Get a recorder that can be programmed to record only when motion is detected, saves all that writing on the hard drive.

My old system never stops recording, it is 12-15 years old, but the cameras have night vision and work well.

The old one writes over the oldest recordings in the system, and I will program the new to do the same,

new one has a SS recorder of 6 terabytes.

Daughter has the new cameras, that are installed inside on her phone, she can change focal length, pan and tilt them with it.

They have two way voice comm. built in, daughter talks to the dogs with them.

The whole system acts like an alarm system, belching out and audible alert inside and out,

if so desired to scare away unwanted guest.

Prepared One
05-22-2022, 11:38 AM
Get a recorder that can be programmed to record only when motion is detected, saves all that writing on the hard drive.

My old system never stops recording, it is 12-15 years old, but the cameras have night vision and work well.

The old one writes over the oldest recordings in the system, and I will program the new to do the same,

new one has a SS recorder of 6 terabytes.

Daughter has the new cameras, that are installed inside on her phone, she can change focal length, pan and tilt them with it.

They have two way voice comm. built in, daughter talks to the dogs with them.

The whole system acts like an alarm system, belching out and audible alert inside and out,

if so desired to scare away unwanted guest.

I have the same system in Houston and will do the same here at Ten Oaks. I like the two way talk and the alarms. Once, I had a kid roaming up my driveway while I was at work. The camera notified me of a person (It will distinguish between just motion and person) so I jumped on the phone and watched him. I let him get about half way up the drive and then pushed the alarm and then screamed get the **** out! You should have seen him turn and run. Scared the crap out of him.

Piratesailor
05-22-2022, 11:44 AM
Finally finally have my new generator hooked up and running on the house propane tank. 13kw will run for quite awhile on the propane tank (propane only used for the stove). Now I have 2 genset of about the same size. One primary and one backup or to loan to the kids.

SOCOM42
05-22-2022, 12:38 PM
Finally finally have my new generator hooked up and running on the house propane tank. 13kw will run for quite awhile on the propane tank (propane only used for the stove). Now I have 2 genset of about the same size. One primary and one backup or to loan to the kids.

My primary house genset runs off of 100# propane tanks.

Secondary of the same KW is a gasoline set, change out gas every year.

Propane is the way to go, my big Diesel set has never been used, it is three phase to run house and shop.

Box of frogs
05-22-2022, 01:00 PM
Propane is the way to go, my big Diesel set has never been used, it is three phase to run house and shop.

Geez Socom. What are you running in your shop that takes a three phase motor?

Ricekila
05-22-2022, 01:12 PM

Old Sparky ?

SOCOM42
05-22-2022, 02:40 PM

To answer, a Bridgeport mill, 6"X18" surface grinder, Cincinnati Milacron 4 axis CNC milling machine 15 HP,

Cincinnati 3 axis CNC lathe 5 HP, 14"x 40" manual lathe 5 HP, Cincinnati automatic horizontal miller 5HP.

All are three phase machines, main breaker panel is 600 AMP.

T-Man 1066
05-22-2022, 03:32 PM
To answer, a Bridgeport mill, 6"X18" surface grinder, Cincinnati Milacron 4 axis CNC milling machine 15 HP,

Cincinnati 3 axis CNC lathe 5 HP, 14"x 40" manual lathe 5 HP, Cincinnati automatic horizontal miller 5HP.

All are three phase machines, main breaker panel is 600 AMP.

You run all that on a genset?

How do the CNC's handle it? Did you have to use some type of voltage conditioner?

I run a 25HP rotary, and noticed that one lathe that has a VFD doesn't run properly unless I idle a second motor in line, such as my drill press or the Bridgeport. My Omniturn has a VFD and has no problems, but it is a good quality unit. Mitsubishi. The lathe in question has a chicom VFD mostly for speed control.

I just re-read your post, are you using the genset as backup power for the shop? And what are you on for primary 3 phase?

SOCOM42
05-22-2022, 04:10 PM
You run all that on a genset?

How do the CNC's handle it? Did you have to use some type of voltage conditioner?

I run a 25HP rotary, and noticed that one lathe that has a VFD doesn't run properly unless I idle a second motor in line, such as my drill press or the Bridgeport. My Omniturn has a VFD and has no problems, but it is a good quality unit. Mitsubishi. The lathe in question has a chicom VFD mostly for speed control.

I just re-read your post, are you using the genset as backup power for the shop? And what are you on for primary 3 phase?

The 3 phase is brought in from the electric company, they ran it to the town water pump a few years before I built my shop.

The propane set is just for single phase stuff, household power.

I have an Onan 25 KW three phase 60 cycle Diesel military genset to run shop stuff. there are huge start caps inline.

Have never used it other than test it 25 years ago, just run it every so often.

So you are running a rotary converter, I know about the secondary motor running, ran a converter when I first started out.

Was a Cedarburg job, this standby one I have is a Phoenix Rotary Phase Converter.

I still have the converter sitting on its mount if ever needed, a 25 HP like yours, it is wired in.

I had the exact same trouble running my lathe, starting relays would chatter like hell when in a certain gear setting.

With the genset I would only run the manual machines with it, the sine wave is not all that pure, afraid for the electronics.

I had my scope on the lines, lot of noise on the wave, would have to be filtered better for the big stuff.

I think that if we got an EMP strike, the old stuff will still work and be extremely valuable.

BucketBack
05-23-2022, 11:06 AM
Spent $450 at Meijer. 4 cases of Bud @ $12.45 , Kingsford #40 for $18, TP and PT, Lilies,

T-Man 1066
05-23-2022, 12:20 PM
The 3 phase is brought in from the electric company, they ran it to the town water pump a few years before I built my shop.

The propane set is just for single phase stuff, household power.

I have an Onan 25 KW three phase 60 cycle Diesel military genset to run shop stuff. there are huge start caps inline.

Have never used it other than test it 25 years ago, just run it every so often.

So you are running a rotary converter, I know about the secondary motor running, ran a converter when I first started out.

Was a Cedarburg job, this standby one I have is a Phoenix Rotary Phase Converter.

I still have the converter sitting on its mount if ever needed, a 25 HP like yours, it is wired in.

I had the exact same trouble running my lathe, starting relays would chatter like hell when in a certain gear setting.

With the genset I would only run the manual machines with it, the sine wave is not all that pure, afraid for the electronics.

I had my scope on the lines, lot of noise on the wave, would have to be filtered better for the big stuff.

I think that if we got an EMP strike, the old stuff will still work and be extremely valuable.

My lathe is a VFD, and without the in line idler machine running, the lathe turns on ok, the pot that speeds up the rpm's accelerates fine, but won't decelerate, and it won't shut off. But when I turn on the idler motor after the rotary, the speed control accelerates and decelerates fine, dynamic braking works fine, everything. I can even jam it in reverse, like during tailstock tapping, and it works beautiful.

Sparkyprep
05-23-2022, 04:44 PM
Man, you guys have some pretty awesome machine shop set-ups!

Broncosfan
05-23-2022, 06:02 PM
Added some new Ruger firepower!18609

Slippy
05-24-2022, 03:28 PM
Well, we thought we were good on medium storage food stuff but Mrs Slippy made a run to the grocery store and bought 3 cases (24 cans ea) 1 of Green Beans, 1 of Red Beans and 1 of Spinach. Rather have them vs not at this point.

T-Man 1066
05-24-2022, 04:46 PM
Well, we thought we were good on medium storage food stuff but Mrs Slippy made a run to the grocery store and bought 3 cases (24 cans ea) 1 of Green Beans, 1 of Red Beans and 1 of Spinach. Rather have them vs not at this point.

It never hurts to grab a few extra. Two is one, one is none...

Broncosfan
05-24-2022, 05:29 PM
Generator was overdue for an upgrade. So I ordered a new 13k dual fuel generator. We actually have a 4600k and a 5000k. Those will be sold to make room for the upgrade.18625

Sparkyprep
05-24-2022, 05:51 PM
Generator was overdue for an upgrade. So I ordered a new 13k dual fuel generator. We actually have a 4600k and a 5000k. Those will be sold to make room for the upgrade.18625

Exact same one I have! You will NOT be disappointed!

Broncosfan
05-24-2022, 06:16 PM
Exact same one I have! You will NOT be disappointed!

Thanks Sparkprep. I read the commets and they all looked very positive. This day and age you just never know. Glad to get your imput!

StratBastard
05-24-2022, 08:32 PM
Just the usual, had to go to Winco for a few items, so picked up extras stuff for the pantry stash like I always do. Found a new item, pouches of butter powder instead of #10 cans. Got a variety of canned beans, meat, chili, etc.... Just an extra $40 worth but it's my habit and it piles up fast. Just lately I have been buying gravy mixes. The major brands are like $1,28, but the store brand is .47 so I've started filling a bucket with them. Canned meat is good to have and all, but frankly it's a little bland often. Some country gravy mixed with your canned chicken really livens it up.

Inor
05-24-2022, 08:49 PM
Just the usual, had to go to Winco for a few items, so picked up extras stuff for the pantry stash like I always do. Found a new item, pouches of butter powder instead of #10 cans. Got a variety of canned beans, meat, chili, etc.... Just an extra $40 worth but it's my habit and it piles up fast. Just lately I have been buying gravy mixes. The major brands are like $1,28, but the store brand is .47 so I've started filling a bucket with them. Canned meat is good to have and all, but frankly it's a little bland often. Some country gravy mixed with your canned chicken really livens it up.

It probably would not be good for your diet, but... Chicken fried Spam is freakin' AWESOME!!! Once in a blue moon as a treat to yourself... Give it a try; you won't be disappointed.

StratBastard
05-24-2022, 08:51 PM
It probably would not be good for your diet, but... Chicken fried Spam is freakin' AWESOME!!! Once in a blue moon as a treat to yourself... Give it a try; you won't be disappointed.

I'm all in for that! And I eat a hardcore keto diet... plenty of proteins and fats, small side of veggies. Lost that 60 pounds that way in a year. Spam is A-OK for keto.

SOCOM42
05-24-2022, 09:06 PM

I would give second thought to getting rid of both of them, KEEP ONE!

I keep a backup right next to my primary single phase genset, have another one I can put into service if needed.

Box of frogs
05-25-2022, 03:36 AM
One is none, two is one.
I recall this mindset being preached over at PF.

Those are wise words.

BoF

Broncosfan
05-25-2022, 06:23 AM
I would give second thought to getting rid of both of them, KEEP ONE!

I keep a backup right next to my primary single phase genset, have another one I can put into service if needed.

Yes that is probably a good idea. I really never gave it much thought.

Sparkyprep
05-25-2022, 05:47 PM
It never hurts to have a back-up. Especially a back-up that is already paid for.

Broncosfan
05-27-2022, 08:15 PM
Well the new generator showed up today. No call or anything. Seems it was sent with a no signuture required. Glad I was home and it was pouring rain as we unload it. Bad thing was I didn't even get it unboxed and our power went out for the third time in less than a week. Hoping to get it sent up next week. This weekend we're having anothe restate sale to finish moving out my Mom and Stepdads stuff that was left. Hope we have a good turnout I need some room.

Jester-ND
05-29-2022, 10:32 PM
$1100 @ walmart....... pretty sure we got a thing or 2 prep related...

Broncosfan
05-30-2022, 07:42 PM
2 Day weekend Estate sale sold the rest of my Mom and Step dad's household goods along with our older 4600 watt generator. We still have a 5000 watt backup. Cleared about $ 900. Freed up a lot of space. Should be helpful to get more organized.

Broncosfan
06-01-2022, 08:16 PM
Made 12 jars of strawberry jam and froze them to save a little time instead of running them through a hot water bath. Batch # 2 will be hot water bathed

Jester-ND
06-06-2022, 09:03 PM
garden mostly planted yesterday. made a batch of deer jerky. Loaded freeze dryer with starburst...

Broncosfan
06-06-2022, 09:21 PM
Another batch of strawberry jam done. I had time to process this batch.

Gunners Mate
06-06-2022, 10:51 PM
My Prep of the day was finishing off my bottle Wild Turkey so it wouldn't slosh around and give my position away while I was hiding out from the wife and her never ending list of shit to do.

Inor
06-07-2022, 11:50 PM
I have been seeing more and more "news" about stores starting to limit the items folks can purchase. They have doing it in Europe for a few weeks. But today I read that Target, Walmart and Costco are all discussing limiting how many items folks can purchase in These United States.

We have had plenty of supplies put back for several years and have been rotating them, etc. Probably, no different than how most of you manage your "stuff". And like most of you, we have spent considerable time over a period of several years figuring out how to do things manually rather than relying on just buying ready-made things from the store. For example, how to make soap, roast coffee, make pasta, raise a garden and raise animals, etc.

I got to thinking tonight, Mrs Inor and I know how to do just about everything we need to do to provide for ourselves. We have done it. We have figured out what works and what doesn't. We have enough of the supplies we need put back to last at least a year or two. That part is not a problem.

What may be a problem is we have not yet figured out the most efficient way of doing a lot of these things. I think, once we have the necessary supplies put back, maybe the next most important thing we need to figure out as a prepper, is how to minimize the number of hours per week we need to spend to keep the pantry stocked and keep the homestead going. As society continues to spiral out of control the next several months, time and efficiency are going to be my new focus for prepping as I think efficiency is going to one of the keys to thriving (not just surviving) in the near future.

StratBastard
06-08-2022, 02:02 AM
I have been seeing more and more "news" about stores starting to limit the items folks can purchase. They have doing it in Europe for a few weeks. But today I read that Target, Walmart and Costco are all discussing limiting how many items folks can purchase in These United States.

We have had plenty of supplies put back for several years and have been rotating them, etc. Probably, no different than how most of you manage your "stuff". And like most of you, we have spent considerable time over a period of several years figuring out how to do things manually rather than relying on just buying ready-made things from the store. For example, how to make soap, roast coffee, make pasta, raise a garden and raise animals, etc.

I got to thinking tonight, Mrs Inor and I know how to do just about everything we need to do to provide for ourselves. We have done it. We have figured out what works and what doesn't. We have enough of the supplies we need put back to last at least a year or two. That part is not a problem.

What may be a problem is we have not yet figured out the most efficient way of doing a lot of these things. I think, once we have the necessary supplies put back, maybe the next most important thing we need to figure out as a prepper, is how to minimize the number of hours per week we need to spend to keep the pantry stocked and keep the homestead going. As society continues to spiral out of control the next several months, time and efficiency are going to be my new focus for prepping as I think efficiency is going to one of the keys to thriving (not just surviving) in the near future.

Well, I had to rely on my preps the last few days. My fridge has gone on the fritz. The freezer is maintaining 2 degrees, but the main fridge is at 56, so everything in there has gone bad. Been using my preps to eat canned green beans and spinach for carbs. No friction at all, still having good meals, and could do it for months. Even very small scenarios can justify those preps.

Slippy
06-08-2022, 04:59 AM
Looks like "Having Stuff And Knowing How To Use It" may pay off more than we thought...:callme:

Prepared One
06-08-2022, 05:12 AM
With us selling the house here in Katy it has been chaos but we did sell it and once we get what we need moved to Ten Oaks the better I will feel. MG will be safe in the country while I continue to work, for now at least, till I am comfortable in my head with retiring outright.

We are now going to move the rest of our storage, Guns, ammo, first aid, etc and combine it with what is already in Ten Oaks. We have enough food stores to last at least 2, maybe even 3 years, if we are careful. Not sure we will do the garden thing (I kill fake plants) or have live stock but there are plenty of barter opportunities, hunting, and fishing, so I am not overly worried about food. It's a different world in the country.

We are wrapping things up just in time it appears. I see things devolving quickly and I don't see it getting better. It's time to get all the ducks in a row.

Jester-ND
06-09-2022, 02:45 PM
sent the wife out on a 130 mile recon for Diet MT Dew....... came back with all she could find in 3 dollar generals (none had 1L bottles).... our local one has been out for 2 weeks and finally just slid the Dr Pepper into the empty space...

Slippy
06-09-2022, 04:52 PM
Am I reading this right? You sold the Katy house?

If that is correct, that is AWESOME NEWS!!

With us selling the house here in Katy it has been chaos but we did sell it and once we get what we need moved to Ten Oaks the better I will feel. MG will be safe in the country while I continue to work, for now at least, till I am comfortable in my head with retiring outright.

We are now going to move the rest of our storage, Guns, ammo, first aid, etc and combine it with what is already in Ten Oaks. We have enough food stores to last at least 2, maybe even 3 years, if we are careful. Not sure we will do the garden thing (I kill fake plants) or have live stock but there are plenty of barter opportunities, hunting, and fishing, so I am not overly worried about food. It's a different world in the country.

We are wrapping things up just in time it appears. I see things devolving quickly and I don't see it getting better. It's time to get all the ducks in a row.

Prepared One
06-09-2022, 05:54 PM
Am I reading this right? You sold the Katy house?

If that is correct, that is AWESOME NEWS!!

Yes sir! We got well above our asking price. Now, we just have to pass the inspection and it's a done deal.

Sparkyprep
06-12-2022, 06:17 PM
Started remodeling Sparky Jr.'s bedroom into a "command center" and improved prepper pantry. (He moved out.) Pics coming soon. Not done yet. Really focusing on my stored food, since it is getting harder to find the things we need. When I find it, I buy 3. Plus, lots of news stories out there about upcoming serious food shortages.

Moved the PC into the new command center, and re-routed the CCTV cameras to the new room for monitoring/recording. Still working on the new shelving for the pantry.

MountainGirl
06-12-2022, 07:04 PM
Loaded up, moved & unloaded ALL of PO's ammo that was still left at Katy; 150 lbs of frozen meat; and there's no way I could have explained the arsenal towel-wrapped and laying across the back seat...7, 8, 9... I broke no traffic laws today. :cool:

Movers brought up some furniture... so we had them bring the freezer, half our food preps, and one of PO's safes...2, 3, 4.... Next weekend should finish out the preps we're bringing. And then I'm done. :)

TJC44
06-12-2022, 07:19 PM
Loaded up, moved & unloaded ALL of PO's ammo that was still left at Katy; 150 lbs of frozen meat; and there's no way I could have explained the arsenal towel-wrapped and laying across the back seat...7, 8, 9... I broke no traffic laws today. :cool:

Movers brought up some furniture... so we had them bring the freezer, half our food preps, and one of PO's safes...2, 3, 4.... Next weekend should finish out the preps we're bringing. And then I'm done. :)How long is the trip (hrs)? How did the frozen food do? No need to explain the towel wrapped arsenal, you're in TX now.

Sent from my LE2117 using Tapatalk

MountainGirl
06-13-2022, 05:11 AM
How long is the trip (hrs)? How did the frozen food do? No need to explain the towel wrapped arsenal, you're in TX now.

Just under three hours between dwellings; soon as you break out of the city it's not too bad. The last hour is a beautiful treed 2-lane hwy drive. Only one more round-trip for me. Yay!!! We loaded only meat - and it did really well. PO bought a 110qt Igloo cooler; packed it to the gunnels, everything was still rock hard after 8hrs. :thumb:

Sparkyprep
06-13-2022, 07:03 PM
Update. I HATE carpentry!!!!!!!!! Inor, I don't know how you do it. I am so aggravated right now..... just from trying to put shelves in a closet.

Inor
06-13-2022, 07:10 PM
Update. I HATE carpentry!!!!!!!!! Inor, I don't know how you do it. I am so aggravated right now..... just from trying to put shelves in a closet.

It's all in the attitude, pal! Just slow down, think a couple steps ahead of what you trying to do immediately and plan it out. I've seen photos of your work and you do nice work. :thumb:

Sparkyprep
06-14-2022, 07:24 PM
Wood is just not precise enough for me. It flexes too much, and it is too delicate. I am used to working with metal, and stone, and concrete. Night number two, and I got one more shelf in.

StratBastard
06-15-2022, 12:01 AM
The new Winco in my neighborhood put up another loss leader item. These usually go for about .99, but Winco put them up at .36 each. I just started loading up several 24 unit flats of them LOL. I figure when bread becomes scarce, folks will love to have them some cornbread. Just like pancake mix, they are in cardboard boxes... which eventually soak up ambient air moisture. So each of them get their own little sammy baggie to go in (also bought super cheap at Grocery Outlet).

SOCOM42
06-15-2022, 08:23 AM
The new Winco in my neighborhood put up another loss leader item. These usually go for about .99, but Winco put them up at .36 each. I just started loading up several 24 unit flats of them LOL. I figure when bread becomes scarce, folks will love to have them some cornbread. Just like pancake mix, they are in cardboard boxes... which eventually soak up ambient air moisture. So each of them get their own little sammy baggie to go in (also bought super cheap at Grocery Outlet).

That will do quite well.

I have been putting back B&M brown bread in a can, @ $1.50 each.

Have about 3 dozen + cans now, buy 1 or two a trip to Wallworld.

Need to get some more dehydrated butter.

At my age I really don't need any crap, It has all been for the kid for a long time now.

Statistically, I am not even suppose to be here.

Soon I will be dumping the Six large cases of CD survival crackers, have had them for around 30 years.

They came out of the Mass. Civil defense command bunker in Framingham.

I was there to scavenge some HF radio equipment.

BucketBack
06-15-2022, 08:42 AM
I've been loading up on dented cans , creased ones feed the critters, the not to bad ones feed us.

We are instructed to not hand them out to clients at the food pantry, se we take them with us.

Jester-ND
06-15-2022, 06:53 PM
4 more trays of turkey freeze dried and bagged... 4 more drying.. got melons, pumpkins, and cucumber starters moved to garden.

StratBastard
06-15-2022, 08:10 PM
That will do quite well.

I have been putting back B&M brown bread in a can, @ $1.50 each.

Have about 3 dozen + cans now, buy 1 or two a trip to Wallworld.

Need to get some more dehydrated butter.

At my age I really don't need any crap, It has all been for the kid for a long time now.

Statistically, I am not even suppose to be here.

Soon I will be dumping the Six large cases of CD survival crackers, have had them for around 30 years.

They came out of the Mass. Civil defense command bunker in Framingham.

I was there to scavenge some HF radio equipment.

I learn something new and useful every time I'm in a thread here with you. I never even HEARD of B&M bread in a can. Now I have to check it out.

Sparkyprep
06-15-2022, 08:47 PM
Update. Shelves finally done. New closet door installed. Started moving a small amount of our foodstuffs into the new pantry. Got all the tools cleaned up. Whew.... glad that is done.

SOCOM42
06-16-2022, 11:17 AM
Update. Shelves finally done. New closet door installed. Started moving a small amount of our foodstuffs into the new pantry. Got all the tools cleaned up. Whew.... glad that is done.

Somebody was ambitious!

I have a deck to work on, has needed the work now for 3 years, this fall? maybe.

SOCOM42
06-16-2022, 11:26 AM
I learn something new and useful every time I'm in a thread here with you. I never even HEARD of B&M bread in a can. Now I have to check it out.

The canned bread is pretty good with all things considered.

It goes great with their baked beans.

You need to open both ends of the cans and push the bread out.

Quit a few years back I bought a dozen wall mounted, hand crank operated, can openers.

We use one of them for the bread and of course other things, the rest of them are spares.

Those things are hard to find, need to go on line for them.

We have electric ones but prefer to use the crank one.

Sparkyprep
06-16-2022, 05:16 PM

Quit a few years back I bought a dozen wall mounted, hand crank operated, can openers.

We use one of them for the bread and of course other things, the rest of them are spares.

I don't even own an electric can opener. I have several high-quality manual can openers. They work just fine for me. It might be a Florida/ hurricane thing, because my mom never had an electric can opener either.

SOCOM42
06-16-2022, 06:56 PM
I don't even own an electric can opener. I have several high-quality manual can openers. They work just fine for me. It might be a Florida/ hurricane thing, because my mom never had an electric can opener either.

I hear ya! I grew up in the 40s and 50s, all we had was the wall mounted hand crank one,

I am programmed to use the manual one. Electric one was a wedding gift.

Then our toaster was not even a pop up type for a long time, put the toaster in the side door,

count out the time open the door and turn it around, close for the same amount of time.

I still had our GE "Monitor" refrigerator into the 90s, in the shop, killed it with the overhead chain fall.

StratBastard
06-16-2022, 08:28 PM

After reading your post, I watched a video of some prepper type taste testing the B&M bread. He only took off one end and was shaking and pulling at it trying to get it out. Just a mess, and not someone I would take prep advice from. I actually started talking to the screen "you gotta at least vent the other end genius".

Inor
06-16-2022, 08:58 PM

This is the second time in a week the subject of "canned bread" has come up. I had not even heard of it before. I was talking to a friend a couple days ago and he mentioned that he liked it. Now you. Where do you get it? I have to try this...

P.S. Why would anybody waste the space keeping an electric can opener? Shop space and kitchen space is at an absolute premium here.

Sasquatch
06-16-2022, 10:00 PM
This is the second time in a week the subject of "canned bread" has come up. I had not even heard of it before. I was talking to a friend a couple days ago and he mentioned that he liked it. Now you. Where do you get it? I have to try this...

P.S. Why would anybody waste the space keeping an electric can opener? Shop space and kitchen space is at an absolute premium here.

I've seen canned bread but never had any. My mom used to make bread in a coffee can. I'm going to have to try that one day.

Inor
06-16-2022, 10:31 PM
I've seen canned bread but never had any. My mom used to make bread in a coffee can. I'm going to have to try that one day.

That actually sounds really good.

When we were building M.T. Acres and did not have a kitchen, Mrs Inor used to make our suppers on a propane camp stove and I would grill on the Big Green Egg. About once per month, as a treat, I would bake those "Brown-and-Serve" rolls on the Egg. The rolls would get some of the mesquite smoke and tasted great.

I am thinking some bread with a bit of coffee flavor would be pretty dang good also!

SOCOM42
06-17-2022, 07:10 AM

I get my canned bread from Walmart, for me in this super store,

it is located above the assorted canned beans like the B&M, Bushes.

Quite a while back I found it while looking for some beans on the top shelf.

It comes plain or with raisins, have only eaten the plain but have cans of the raisin type also.

It does not last on the shelves there at the store, usually gone in a week,

appears to be stocked once a month.

I know the shelf stable USGI "C" rat canned bread was good for at least 10 years in some cases 20,

I ate "C" and "K" rations from WW2 and Korea when in the army,

The "C" rats were less than 8 years old and the "Ks" 16 years.

That electric can opener has just been sitting there for 30+ years never given it much thought.

I also have these big can openers issued with the army field kitchen, company level one,

they mount to a table and the head slides up and down acting as a ram for the cutter.

My daughter hates the electric one, you have given me motivation to dump it.

I need another 700 square feet of shop space for all my crap.

Prepared One
06-17-2022, 07:12 AM
I get my canned bread from Walmart, for me in this super store,

it is located above the assorted canned beans like the B&M, Bushes.

Quite a while back I found it while looking for some beans on the top shelf.

It comes plain or with raisins, have only eaten the plain but have cans of the raisin type also.

It does not last on the shelves there at the store, usually gone in a week,

appears to be stocked once a month.

I know the shelf stable USGI "C" rat canned bread was good for at least 10 years in some cases 20,

I ate "C" and "K" rations from WW2 and Korea when in the army,

The "C" rats were less than 8 years old and the "Ks" 16 years.

That electric can opener has just been sitting there for 30+ years never given it much thought.

I also have these big can openers issued with the army field kitchen, company level one,

they mount to a table and the head slides up and down acting as a ram for the cutter.

My daughter hates the electric one, you have given me motivation to dump it.

I need another 700 square feet of shop space for all my crap.

I am going to have to take a look at this hear canned bread stuff. Never new it existed.

T-Man 1066
06-17-2022, 09:10 AM

I don't have an electric can opener either. Two manual crank ones, and a handful of P38 and P51's. Hand crank mixer, lots easier to use than a electric one.
One electric small appliance I do like is my little toaster oven. I keep it in the machine shop, heats up food better than a microwave, fried foods stay crisp. I can do toast, soup, leftover chinese food, heat bearings, pre-heat smaller pieces for welding, it is handier than shit.

Come to think of it, I should go buy a backup. 2 is one.... one is none.

1skrewsloose
06-17-2022, 04:47 PM
The canned bread is usually right next to the dehydrated water. Local store is always out of both.

BucketBack
06-18-2022, 08:27 AM
I don't have an electric can opener either. Two manual crank ones, and a handful of P38 and P51's. Hand crank mixer, lots easier to use than a electric one.
One electric small appliance I do like is my little toaster oven. I keep it in the machine shop, heats up food better than a microwave, fried foods stay crisp. I can do toast, soup, leftover chinese food, heat bearings, pre-heat smaller pieces for welding, it is handier than shit.

I had 2 Swingaway hand openers, one made it here, an electric one was put on the shelf for backup if I can't find the ones on my keychains or bottom drawer.

The pantry hands out can openers to clients on the way from County to the Motel

eta
While cleaning out my pole barn yesterday I re-found 2 electric toaster opens that I bought to heat kydex, but got repurposed into food ovens again

SOCOM42
06-19-2022, 08:59 PM

I still have the P-38 can openers that came with the issued "C" rations.

I use to carry one on my key ring until it opened and stabbed me in the leg.

One now resides on the dog tag chain I wear around my neck, \

ya, ya, I still wear them out of habit when I go out.

Wore them for 27 years of service in the military.

I picked up some P-51 type about 20 years ago, better leverage with them, kid has one on her key ring.

I do miss the "C" rats, ate a awful lot of them, had to adjust to the MRE's when they first came out.

Would throw a couple of cases of them into the turret bustle with the 5 gallon water cans.

bigwheel
06-21-2022, 05:03 PM
I put a new front basket on my new geriatric tricyle that operates on pedal power.

MountainGirl
06-21-2022, 06:02 PM

Fixed it for you. Cute pup!!

Sparkyprep
06-21-2022, 07:53 PM
just put new LED headlights in my four-wheeler. (not sure that counts as a prep)

1skrewsloose
06-21-2022, 08:01 PM
Screw food, ordered more ammo.

T-Man 1066
06-21-2022, 08:01 PM
I put a new front basket on my new geriatric tricyle that operates on pedal power.

Puppy power!!!

Inor
06-21-2022, 08:32 PM
Screw food, ordered more ammo.

Good idea! Rumor has it that the feds have threatened Winchester to stop selling 5.56 and .223 on the civilian market or lose the Army contract. Brandon is playing exactly the same games as Obama: If they cannot ban firearms, just dry up the ammo supply.

I do not think it will work this time though. Several small manufacturers have sprung up locally here.

SOCOM42
06-21-2022, 09:42 PM
Good idea! Rumor has it that the feds have threatened Winchester to stop selling 5.56 and .223 on the civilian market or lose the Army contract. Brandon is playing exactly the same games as Obama: If they cannot ban firearms, just dry up the ammo supply.

I do not think it will work this time though. Several small manufacturers have sprung up locally here.

Winchester has a contract to run the place and to do just what they are doing.

Asshole in Chief just cannot tell them to stop, one hell of a lawsuit would come up out of it.

Civilian sales are part of that contract, Winchester is not to make money???

Those civilian sales are a filler to keep the place running and are figured into their contract margins.

Lawsuits should have monies judged by the courts to come out of those crooked politicians own pockets.

FU@K JOE BITEME AND OBAMACOON!!!

StratBastard
06-22-2022, 12:25 AM
Winchester has a contract to run the place and to do just what they are doing.

Asshole in Chief just cannot tell them to stop, one hell of a lawsuit would come up out of it.

Civilian sales are part of that contract, Winchester is not to make money???

Those civilian sales are a filler to keep the place running and are figured into their contract margins.

Lawsuits should have monies judged by the courts to come out of those crooked politicians own pockets.

FU@K JOE BITEME AND OBAMACOON!!!

It won't help them anyway. I have enough 5.56 and .223 to arm a regiment for a score of skirmishes. Bought it cheap when it was plentiful, stored it properly, and held onto it. I know lots of other patriots did too (although none of us can compare to YOUR stash SOCOM). I liked the 5.56 federal cans of 420 rounds. I just kept buying them out of habit.

Prepared One
06-22-2022, 05:30 AM
All my prepping these days involves moving. Have I mentioned I hate moving? And now I have to travel to Dallas for 4 days on business.

It's getting down to crunch time now. I get back Saturday night so that gives me 2 weeks before closing. Have to get the rest of what is needed out of this place and up to Ten Oaks and I feel like there is still much to do. Once money is in the bank and I am out of the Katy house, then I have that long awaited retirement conversation with the owner and his son. The world needs to hold off blowing itself to bits just a little while longer.

1skrewsloose
06-22-2022, 06:36 AM
The old adage, "ammo is better in times of no food, than food in times of no ammo"

Slippy
06-22-2022, 07:33 AM
just put new LED headlights in my four-wheeler. (not sure that counts as a prep)

Heck yeah it does!

bigwheel
06-24-2022, 11:30 AM
Deepest condolences on the four days in Dallas. That town was birthed as a Socialist Utopia and got more kinky during Reconstruction. I refuse to drive through it. I have an alternate route to get to East Texas if a person wanted to go there for some strange reason.
https://www.texasstandard.org/stories/how-a-failed-socialist-utopia-made-dallas-the-city-it-is-today/

TJC44
06-24-2022, 07:20 PM
After the last 3 days I can totally agree with you P.O. MOVING SUCKS! And the apt is temporary. I am surprised at the considerable LGBTQ population here. As long as they leave me alone.
TJC

BucketBack
06-25-2022, 06:29 AM
The SO picked up 30 dozen large eggs @$1.99 each for the food pantry. They are in foam coolers awaiting delivery before Sunday's service at the pantry next door.

That means I'm going to church tomorrow.

Jester-ND
06-26-2022, 06:39 PM
Stopped at 3 Dollar General's on way home from dropping wife at the airport. 1st had no Mt Dew 1L I was searching for, 2nd had none either but did have 1.25L for the same price!!! so bought what they had and got a MERCURY DIME in my change! 3rd was closed due to staffing!

Sparkyprep
06-26-2022, 06:55 PM
Picked up more dry pinto beans, kidney beans, and rice from the Dollar Tree. Dry canning them in the oven now.

StratBastard
06-26-2022, 09:28 PM
Stopped at 3 Dollar General's on way home from dropping wife at the airport. 1st had no Mt Dew 1L I was searching for, 2nd had none either but did have 1.25L for the same price!!! so bought what they had and got a MERCURY DIME in my change! 3rd was closed due to staffing!

Mercury dime! Damn, that almost never happens nowadays. Nice rebate!!!!

Michael_Js
06-26-2022, 11:08 PM
We finished splitting and stacking about 4 cords of wood from downed maple (2 months ago) & cottonwood trees (4+ months ago). It should be good to go for the winter '23 season...lots of work...good thing my wife loves using the rented log splitter! :)

About 1/2 split:

Less than 1/2 stacked:

Peace

SOCOM42
06-27-2022, 08:39 AM
We finished splitting and stacking about 4 cords of wood from downed maple (2 months ago) & cottonwood trees (4+ months ago). It should be good to go for the winter '23 season...lots of work...good thing my wife loves using the rented log splitter! :)

About 1/2 split:

Less than 1/2 stacked:

Peace

Log splitters are great! I cannot swing a maul or an ax to split wood, back won't let me.

Thirty years ago as a prepping tool, I got a wood stove for standby heat and cooking.

Have plenty of oak and maple on my land to use, plus I get a lot the highway dept. brings to the pit.

After having 6 cords sitting there needing splitting, I had to solve the problem.

Well, I built a 25 ton log splitter with a 24 inch stroke(26 inch gap) with a 10 HP gas engine to power it.

I bought the cylinder, valve, engine, and pump from Northern Equipment, hoses I got locally.

Tires and axels came from the car junkyard, steel from the scrapyard.

I was ever so happy that I had my Miller 250 amp MIG machine, made easy work of the whole thing.

It has been running all these years, blew up the first motor, broken crank, they replaced it under warranty.

Use to haul it behind the F250 to Fort Devens to split stuff I cut up, did only dead trees, plenty of them.

There is a federal law, allowing you to cut firewood on government post, few know about it.

They tried at range control to stop me, showed them the permit,

they then said I needed communications with them, ok, here is my portable and my mobile units.

Both were on the range control frequency along with all the other post ones.

I also had my PRC-77 in its mobile mount- amplifier to cover that frequency also.

That created a mind Fu@k with them, they were really set aside by the coverage.

My UHF units were opened up to cover everything.

I had set up the communications format for the post after it was closed as an active base.

The base is closed but the ranges are still operational, used by, the guard, FBI, DHS and others.

After it was closed, I have had gone to the sniper range with the TAC team for long range practice.

PD guys were scratching their heads on how I knew where the range was and everything else about it.

I was an advisor/instructor to the 10th Special Forces SOTIC snipers and spent many days and nights there.

I stopped going there for wood after I got rid of the truck.

The splitter just sits in the yard now for use, I drag a jeep trailer around here to pick up wood.

It is towed with a pintle and hook, no ball and socket, this system works better off road.

MountainGirl
06-28-2022, 04:43 PM

About 1/2 split:

Less than 1/2 stacked:

Peace

Boy does that bring back memories!
(And thankfully they are now only memories, lol :) )

Chiefster23
06-30-2022, 01:34 PM
Freezing and vac-sealing packages of broccoli and cauliflower from my garden.

Inor
07-02-2022, 12:07 AM
Mrs Inor made and pressure canned 33 jars of beef broth.

1skrewsloose
07-02-2022, 12:22 AM
That's funny, I use painters tape to label my stuff too.

1skrewsloose
07-02-2022, 12:36 AM
Everytime I make beef roast/anything in the instant pot I save the remnants, waaay better than store bought and so handy. I think my mother and father's waste not, want not values have stuck with me.

Inor
07-02-2022, 12:46 AM
That's funny, I use painters tape to label my stuff too.

Human evolution achieved its pinnacle with the advent of "blue tape"! It's all downhill from here.

(We use "blue tape" for everything!)

1skrewsloose
07-04-2022, 06:31 PM
Had parts on hand for a while, put on 16" mid-length m4 upper and magpul collapsable stock and grip on Colt lower, Nice! went from 39" to 32". Votex spifire 1x optics. Very handy size now. Started with 20" Colt Hbar Sporter.

StratBastard
07-04-2022, 10:53 PM
Bought a buttload of almond flour, lard, baking powder, and Xanthan gum, and loaded up a 7 gallon bucket. I am half a diabetic (meaning if I eat right, my blood sugar levels are normal, and I need no meds at all to control it). When I moved, I got rid of a lot of food preps which were getting really aged, and replaced them over the last 6 months with new stuff... which better suits my new diet. When using dry goods and canned goods, one of the best hot meals there is is a burrito. Use your canned meats (pulled pork, chicken, or hamburger), mexi spice envelopes (.48 cents) dehydrated onions, canned chili, black beans, dehydrated cheese, olives, diced tomatoes, canned red sauce, and powdered sour cream. You can have a different burrito each time. But the dang regular tortillas have like 30 grams of carbs. So I'm learning to make tortillas out of almond flour, which has maybe 3 net carbs.

Piratesailor
07-05-2022, 09:34 AM
Set up my press to reload .308 along what the other calibers.

I think our garden is fubar.

And lastly.. having conversations with neighbors.

Chiefster23
07-05-2022, 12:16 PM
Set up my press to reload .308 along what the other calibers.

I think our garden is fubar.

And lastly.. having conversations with neighbors.

Just prior to the last election, I had convo with a few neighbors. I am screwed! My neighbors are idiots! One has a AR with 100 rounds of ammo and considers himself well prepped. One has a generator but only one small can of spare gas. Also thinks he is all set for SHTF. Another plans to drive a couple of hundred miles to his prepper son in Virginia if it all goes to hell. So no need for him to prep. Another neighbor simply says he will sue anyone who messes with him???? Yep! I’m definitely on my own here. One big plus, none of these idiots will present any threat to me unless they plan on shooting me in the back.

SOCOM42
07-05-2022, 06:19 PM
Just prior to the last election, I had convo with a few neighbors. I am screwed! My neighbors are idiots! One has a AR with 100 rounds of ammo and considers himself well prepped. One has a generator but only one small can of spare gas. Also thinks he is all set for SHTF. Another plans to drive a couple of hundred miles to his prepper son in Virginia if it all goes to hell. So no need for him to prep. Another neighbor simply says he will sue anyone who messes with him???? Yep! I’m definitely on my own here. One big plus, none of these idiots will present any threat to me unless they plan on shooting me in the back.

You know it is sad but the bulk of the population has those mindsets, All are ignorant assholes IMHO.

My last resort would be to procure a plane from the airport and fly it to where my brother lives in western NC.

That would mean leaving everything behind for the most part, I don't want to do that either.

There are still a few of us to put up a battle here, a couple are young enough to be my sons or grandsons, shit I am old!

A hundred rounds? LOL, LOL, LOL!

Piratesailor
07-05-2022, 09:09 PM
Shit. I’ll blow through 100 rounds or more tomorrow at the range.

I’m semi-country. I have a variety of folks around me including veterans, guard dogs, cattle, gardens, etc. and I think almost to a person they are prepared in one format or another. Definitely in the security aspect.

StratBastard
07-05-2022, 11:51 PM
Ordered 12 more cans of canned hamburger. One can in a big pot of spag sauce will feed a dozen people.

Prepared One
07-06-2022, 04:48 AM

It's a little different where MG and I are. The first guy I talked with, who is now our contractor, got right to it by saying he reckoned just about everyone in Tyler County Texas voted for Trump except maybe two. I asked who were the two? He looked at me, grinned, and said it don't matter much now about them two now, does it?

Everyone I have spoken to is right up front about how conservative it is around there and are quick to feel you out as to where exactly you stand. All hunt, fish, and most garden or farm. You have a few outliers like MG and I but maybe 90% have lived in Tyler County their whole lives. They know the deep back woods and the rivers like the back of their hands. Most all are armed or have a gun in the truck. Hell, I still see Trump signs on some of the barbed wire fences. It's a different breed altogether here in East Texas

MG and I were talking on the porch the other night about how good a location we are in. When it goes south and some of the city folks managed to get out of the city and into the country, the heard will be thinned considerably by the time they get to us. Thar's a lot of Tyler Counties and good ol' boys between us and the city. Up here in East Texas, a country boy will surely survive.

Sparkyprep
07-08-2022, 07:01 PM
Dinty Moor beef stew on sale. Picked up a few can, plus two more jars of ghee. Added all to the pantry.

bigwheel
07-08-2022, 07:53 PM
I been trusting in the Lord to not worry about it. Plenty of ammo right now. Who worries about being dead and why? Aint nobody getting out of this world alive unless the Pre Trib Rapture theory turns out to be correct. We may need to pop some caps if its mid or post
Trib or not all as some think. Roman Catholics are taught the Book of Revelation is a History Book with Nero Ceaser as the Antichrisrt. Not that beliving the wrong thing could send tehn to Hell or Purgatory. The only thing that can do that is Unbelief in Jesus. Those who believe in Jesus in their hearts (minds)...and confess Him with their mouth shall be saved. Not sure the destination of smart Liberals..but I smell helll.

StratBastard
07-09-2022, 12:52 AM
Family sized cans of creme of mushroom soup on sale at Winco, so I loaded in even though I already have quite a bit. It is the ultimate companion to your rice stores. One big pot of rice, one big can of C of M, add in a couple cans of canned chicken breast or whatever, and you have a quick and yummy casserole everyone bolts down. More than twice the size of regular cans ($1.23) and a steal at $1.27. You can change it up with different meats, cheese on top, toasted crumbled crackers, add onions, whatever. Different meal every night.

SOCOM42
07-09-2022, 09:17 AM
Went shopping yesterday after a doctor appointment.

This was a quickey, main shopping is next Tuesday, it was at our wally superstore.

However, I bought 10 pounds of imported Italian Fettuccini, the remainder of the display box.

I have at an earlier time have bought 25 pounds total of it, it is good, used some last night for the both of us.

Also it is cheap @ $1.12 a pound.

It looks like it hardly ever sells, most buy the store brand stuff for a price of $1.05 a pound.

All this goes into my "ready supplies", which is to be used in the next two years.

I have more than enough food in long term storage as it it is.

Last week I bought two, USGI two quart canteens with cover, used cover with new canteen, cleaned, filled, chlorinated them.

Used distilled water for long term store, have Artic canteens for winter use, will swap them out about the first hard frost here.

They now hang on the back of the headrest in each Jeep, each has the drinking cap for NBC mask use.

I was going to get two more, but were sold out.

I already have one quart ones on the ammo belts in each Jeep( with 6 AR mags in pouches).

These are now part of my "get home survival package",

there is 4 gallons of distilled water also in each jeep for if we get snowed in somewhere.

We don't go far anyways anymore, 50 miles is about max, and it is for a doc. appointment.

The canteens came from Sportsman's Guide.

T-Man 1066
07-09-2022, 07:09 PM
I socked away some more cash, $10's and $20's, multiple hiding places. Canada just had a comms-down sit, including internet and ATM's. If cash don't buy goods, what will?

On a side note, a friend went to the Indianapolis 500 this year. Said you couldn't buy anything with cash, debit or credit only...

SOCOM42
07-09-2022, 07:40 PM
Family sized cans of creme of mushroom soup on sale at Winco, so I loaded in even though I already have quite a bit. It is the ultimate companion to your rice stores. One big pot of rice, one big can of C of M, add in a couple cans of canned chicken breast or whatever, and you have a quick and yummy casserole everyone bolts down. More than twice the size of regular cans ($1.23) and a steal at $1.27. You can change it up with different meats, cheese on top, toasted crumbled crackers, add onions, whatever. Different meal every night.

I buy Campbell's chunky soups, in most selections I add some cooked rice to increase the volume of the soup, works well.

There is always a Revere Ware 4 quart pot on the stove with rice, for us and the dogs, dip in it when needed.

Myself, I don't like that cream of mushroom soup, just like I don't like New England clam chowder, like the New York style.

Besides both of those give me the shits, just like some of the "C" rats did!

StratBastard
07-09-2022, 07:45 PM
I buy Campbell's chunky soups, in most selections I add some cooked rice to increase the volume of the soup, works well.

There is always a Revere Ware 4 quart pot on the stove with rice, for us and the dogs, dip in it when needed.

Myself, I don't like that cream of mushroom soup, just like I don't like New England clam chowder, like the New York style.

Besides both of those give me the shits, just like some of the "C" rats did!

Fair enough LOL! I stack those chunky Campell's as well. Pastas/noodles can be added to them to add volume too. All good ways to utilize staples like rice and pasta to make your stores last and last.

SOCOM42
07-09-2022, 07:50 PM
I been trusting in the Lord to not worry about it. Plenty of ammo right now. Who worries about being dead and why? Aint nobody getting out of this world alive unless the Pre Trib Rapture theory turns out to be correct. We may need to pop some caps if its mid or post
Trib or not all as some think. Roman Catholics are taught the Book of Revelation is a History Book with Nero Ceaser as the Antichrisrt. Not that beliving the wrong thing could send tehn to Hell or Purgatory. The only thing that can do that is Unbelief in Jesus. Those who believe in Jesus in their hearts (minds)...and confess Him with their mouth shall be saved. Not sure the destination of smart Liberals..but I smell helll.

NEVER have enough ammo! I probably have 10X more than I will ever need, but that doesn't matter, more is plenty but never enough.

In a protracted firefight, you pray there is enough ammo on the ground, when the squad leader redistributes the ammo,

and you see the blood on the bandoliers, you get sick and hope there are cases of the shit back at the CP.

SOCOM42
07-09-2022, 07:53 PM
Fair enough LOL! I stack those chunky Campell's as well. Pastas/noodles can be added to them to add volume too. All good ways to utilize staples like rice and pasta to make your stores last and last.

Oh, yeah, you reminded me, I add bow ties to others that will fair well with them.

Sarge7402
07-09-2022, 08:04 PM
Bought a new self winding Seiko wrist watch