PDA

View Full Version : What was your prep of the day?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9

Inor
07-09-2022, 09:01 PM
Bought a new self winding Seiko wrist watch

I LOVE those! They last forever. The one I have now, I bought from a discount table at a Kohl's department store in Washington, D.C. about 25 years ago. I was out there on business and my watch died, so I picked this thing for about $25 and it has been keeping flawless time ever since. It does not look fancy but it does EXACTLY what a watch is supposed to do and does not try to do any more.

1skrewsloose
07-09-2022, 09:17 PM
About two years ago picked up a Citizen Eco-drive, solar powered, got tired of batteries taking a dump, hope it serves me for a while.

Automatic watch is on my wish list.

SOCOM42
07-09-2022, 09:31 PM
Bought a new self winding Seiko wrist watch

Had one, it worked great for about 20 years, grandmother gave it to me for a Christmas present in 1967.

The pinion for the winding weight wore out.

Got a Movado for a birthday present about 30 years ago, stopped wearing it about 15 years ago.

Now I wear nothing and care little about the time, kid alerts to to appointments and such.

Have clocks on the walls for what is needed.

If I ever need to know the time when out, I have my flip phone, but I would have to turn it on.

The most critical time ever for me was shooting a procedure turn and an approach to a runway,

seconds counted, had a stopwatch attached to the center of the yoke and one on the knee board.

Even throttled back, things happen fast @ 200 MPH or better. Don't need that shit anymore in my life.

StratBastard
07-09-2022, 11:14 PM
Went shopping yesterday after a doctor appointment.

This was a quickey, main shopping is next Tuesday, it was at our wally superstore.

However, I bought 10 pounds of imported Italian Fettuccini, the remainder of the display box.

I have at an earlier time have bought 25 pounds total of it, it is good, used some last night for the both of us.

Also it is cheap @ $1.12 a pound.

It looks like it hardly ever sells, most buy the store brand stuff for a price of $1.05 a pound.

All this goes into my "ready supplies", which is to be used in the next two years.

I have more than enough food in long term storage as it it is.

Last week I bought two, USGI two quart canteens with cover, used cover with new canteen, cleaned, filled, chlorinated them.

Used distilled water for long term store, have Artic canteens for winter use, will swap them out about the first hard frost here.

They now hang on the back of the headrest in each Jeep, each has the drinking cap for NBC mask use.

I was going to get two more, but were sold out.

I already have one quart ones on the ammo belts in each Jeep( with 6 AR mags in pouches).

These are now part of my "get home survival package",

there is 4 gallons of distilled water also in each jeep for if we get snowed in somewhere.

We don't go far anyways anymore, 50 miles is about max, and it is for a doc. appointment.

The canteens came from Sportsman's Guide.

I have to use distilled water for my CPAP (sleep apnea). I like these 2 gallon jugs of it. When I go through one, it becomes potable water storage units. Got them stashed all over the place. I do miss my 1100 gallon farm tank I had to leave behind at my former residence though. Grrrr!

StratBastard
07-09-2022, 11:21 PM
Had one, it worked great for about 20 years, grandmother gave it to me for a Christmas present in 1967.

The pinion for the winding weight wore out.

Got a Movado for a birthday present about 30 years ago, stopped wearing it about 15 years ago.

Now I wear nothing and care little about the time, kid alerts to to appointments and such.

Have clocks on the walls for what is needed.

If I ever need to know the time when out, I have my flip phone, but I would have to turn it on.

The most critical time ever for me was shooting a procedure turn and an approach to a runway,

seconds counted, had a stopwatch attached to the center of the yoke and one on the knee board.

Even throttled back, things happen fast @ 200 MPH or better. Don't need that shit anymore in my life.

I wear nothing as well. I was chained to the clock most of my life (voluntarily, because a younger man has responsibilities and must get them done for his family, come hell or high water). Especially when I worked the graveyard shift for 20 years. Gotta watch the time. Nowadays, I just look up at the sun and estimate where I'm at. When one retires, that damned watch needs to go into a drawer.

SOCOM42
07-10-2022, 07:11 AM
I have to use distilled water for my CPAP (sleep apnea). I like these 2 gallon jugs of it. When I go through one, it becomes potable water storage units. Got them stashed all over the place. I do miss my 1100 gallon farm tank I had to leave behind at my former residence though. Grrrr!

I have seen those style jugs here, but none are distilled water, if they were I would have them stacked also.

I am not in need of water by any means, I am surrounded by the stuff on three sides so to speak, a river and a lake.

They never run dry here in the northeast.

Prepared One
07-10-2022, 09:01 AM
I wear nothing as well. I was chained to the clock most of my life (voluntarily, because a younger man has responsibilities and must get them done for his family, come hell or high water). Especially when I worked the graveyard shift for 20 years. Gotta watch the time. Nowadays, I just look up at the sun and estimate where I'm at. When one retires, that damned watch needs to go into a drawer.

I have worn a watch since I was a kid. I feel naked if I don't have one on. I have been chasing time and masters my whole life it seems. Now that I am retired, time is not so important and my masters can go to hell.

SOCOM42
07-10-2022, 09:50 AM
I have worn a watch since I was a kid. I feel naked if I don't have one on. I have been chasing time and masters my whole life it seems. Now that I am retired, time is not so important and my masters can go to hell.

Isn't it wonderful not to give a shit about the time and place for 99.99% of the time now???

I have enjoyed that feeling now for 15 years, I really love it when I wake up early,

look around and then say FU@K it! and then go back to sleep for a few more hours, what a pleasure.

I make doctors appointments for late afternoon, why? because I don't get out of bed or want to for the most part before 10 AM.

The only thing that gets me out of the bed before I wish to do so, is the porcelain throne, now, that is the master we all bow to.

Oh, yeah, there is another exception, when one of the dogs sticks his or her cold wet nose in my face at zero dark thirty to go out.

They are not little dogs either, they can and do pull me off the bed at times, when they want out or as an intruder alarm,

their reactions are different in both cases, they don't have to jump up to get at me, they can look right at me at equal heights.

I am up now, because I want to be, going to work on my CCTV system,

putting in other auto track NV cameras, replacing the static ones.

The systems have advanced so far today, have 6 terabyte SS memories, record only on motion detection,

night vision, motion tracking, auto alarms on detection, sort between animals and humans,

two way conversation if wanted, remote monitoring and alarms.

I have continually upgraded my system for 30 years, have interior cameras that others will never find,

recorders are cloistered in a secure place, no cables to follow to them either.

Box of frogs
07-10-2022, 11:26 AM
Got a extra pair of eyeglasses.
Ordered them online from zenni
25 bucks delivered to the mailbox and no eye exam.
If you have your rx just type in the numbers and done.

I have a coffee mug with old glasses for just in case. I believe I will start tossing those and just order a few new ones to put back for SHTF
I would love to do lasix but I am too big a chicken.

BoF

TJC44
07-10-2022, 04:53 PM
Reprogrammed my Ham portable to the local repeaters in my new area. Started to set up a scanner for monitoring local traffic, but realized that a. my portable scanner didn't make this trip, and b. the scanner I DO have, the power supply didn't make the trip. Amazon took care of item 2, so I will be able to listen. Moved the rest of my radios up from CT. Hard to string antennas from a 1st floor apt. so they will stay boxed for now. Closing on the CT house should be this week.

TJC

Chiefster23
07-10-2022, 05:17 PM
Years ago I took a course for civilian shooters on first aid for gunshot victims. Based on that course I built a pouch with first aid supplies specifically designed with gunshots in mind. Today I checked the contents and found many of the supplies are out of date so I reordered new supplies. I always keep that pouch in the car so it’s always available on range days.

bigwheel
07-10-2022, 05:17 PM
Very interesting. Thanks. I know a guy who has an electric water distiller that can also make moon shine.

SOCOM42
07-12-2022, 11:29 AM
Reprogrammed my Ham portable to the local repeaters in my new area. Started to set up a scanner for monitoring local traffic, but realized that a. my portable scanner didn't make this trip, and b. the scanner I DO have, the power supply didn't make the trip. Amazon took care of item 2, so I will be able to listen. Moved the rest of my radios up from CT. Hard to string antennas from a 1st floor apt. so they will stay boxed for now. Closing on the CT house should be this week.

TJC

I went through that apt. problem many decades ago.

My place today looks like an antenna farm, there are 15 antennas put up.

Several multi band roof mounted verticals, 2 meter verticals, 220 verts, and folded dipoles.

Today I hardly ever use the stuff.

Had a couple of YAGs on a rotor, all came down in a storm, never put them back up.

The antennas themselves are sitting in the shop waiting for repair, new element repair material is there too.

TJC44
07-12-2022, 04:28 PM
I went through that apt. problem many decades ago.

My place today looks like an antenna farm, there are 15 antennas put up.

Several multi band roof mounted verticals, 2 meter verticals, 220 verts, and folded dipoles.

Today I hardly ever use the stuff.

Had a couple of YAGs on a rotor, all came down in a storm, never put them back up.

The antennas themselves are sitting in the shop waiting for repair, new element repair material is there too.

Are you still current? If nothing else, use them for monitoring traffic. DMR seems to be the latest craze now on VHF,UHF, but HF is still active.

TJC

SOCOM42
07-12-2022, 08:14 PM
Are you still current? If nothing else, use them for monitoring traffic. DMR seems to be the latest craze now on VHF,UHF, but HF is still active.

TJC

I just monitor some HF here and there, been too busy on other crap.

I have a HF receiver in my bedroom that I use, the uhf and vhf are in the office which my daughter has taken over from me.

All the heavy stuff is in my shack outside, right now it is giving shelter to a bunch of 1955 Tbird parts and no room for me.

CW is out for me, can't hear worth a shit and using a light will put me in a seizure.

I use to work all over with RTTY, now almost no one plays with that.

That experience paid off when I started writing programs and put them on perforated tape in 8 bit.

I made the mod Teletype Mod. 19 machines work, and that rolled right over to the TT Mod. 33 machines for the computer.

Here are some old pics that I posted here before. there are newer ones, layout has changed a bit.

TJC44
07-12-2022, 08:56 PM
Install FLRIG & FLDIGI on your computer and connect the radio. FLRIG controls the radio, and FLDIGI will encode/decode almost any mode you want, including CW, WEFAX, RTTY, and a dozen more. and you wouldn't need the teletype machine.:biglaugh: I run primarily digital modes, and hope to again in the near future.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/fldigi/
FLRIG is in the same "project" folder.

SOCOM42
07-12-2022, 10:20 PM
Install FLRIG & FLDIGI on your computer and connect the radio. FLRIG controls the radio, and FLDIGI will encode/decode almost any mode you want, including CW, WEFAX, RTTY, and a dozen more. and you wouldn't need the teletype machine.:biglaugh: I run primarily digital modes, and hope to again in the near future.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/fldigi/
FLRIG is in the same "project" folder.

If you look I have a converter on the computer under the desk that does all of that, it is just not the same.

It is all displayed on the comp screen, CW and RTTY were displayed about 25 years ago through the computer.

On of the last ones lost was a RIO on a ship stationed at Diego Garcia we chattered on Sunday, sometimes a net of the three of us

my QSO( buddies)nave gone silent over the years, some were radio operators during WW2.

Have only one left, we have been friends and mutual operators since 1965, we lived within a mile of each other.

We use to talk on 20 meters sideband on weekends ever since he moved to Florida.

After the hurricane hit him and took the roof off the house, he had to sell his rig to help pay for it.

Now we talk on the phone, sent him a HF receiver to listen with right after, with a folded dipole for it.

I got my general ticket in 1957 at the customs building in Boston. I was 15 Y/O and had to hitchhike to get there.

Most of the ones out there today sound like fags or other deviants.

Thanks for the info.

I am an antique, most of my sets are tube and still work and can be repaired.

no worry about EMP strikes.

StratBastard
07-13-2022, 11:46 PM
Got some Bega canned cheese in the mail today, and stacked them in the pantry. Ordered another case of twelve 28 ounce canned hamburger (Don't buy freeze dried burger, when you compare the price to actual canned burger it's no contest). The best price I have found online is Yoders at 98.98 a case of 12 (shipped free). Survival Frog wants $369 for the same thing, so shop around.

https://www.somchin.com/collections/yoders/products/yoders-canned-hamburger-ground-beef-case-12-cans?spm=..collection_cce4f5c7-afd0-40b8-a5be-058cdbcfdf6f.collection_detail_1.1&spm_prev=..collection_a47fbf80-0d8c-4fa3-8ca6-000992a739dc.header_1.1

StratBastard
07-13-2022, 11:53 PM
Isn't it wonderful not to give a shit about the time and place for 99.99% of the time now???

I have enjoyed that feeling now for 15 years, I really love it when I wake up early,

look around and then say FU@K it! and then go back to sleep for a few more hours, what a pleasure.
I make doctors appointments for late afternoon, why? because I don't get out of bed or want to for the most part before 10 AM.

Hah! me too. I won't accept a doctor's appointment unless it's in the afternoon. I refuse to feel rushed any more.

Broncosfan
07-14-2022, 02:40 PM
Not sure if anyone is stocking up on powered milk but I believe this is the best price I've seen in awhile @ amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Augason-Farms-Country-Instant-Nonfat/dp/B009A48I1U/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3QXOILV7JITSN&keywords=Augason&qid=1657827513&sprefix=augason%2Caps%2C135&sr=8-2

StratBastard
07-14-2022, 09:05 PM
Not sure if anyone is stocking up on powered milk but I believe this is the best price I've seen in awhile @ amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Augason-Farms-Country-Instant-Nonfat/dp/B009A48I1U/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3QXOILV7JITSN&keywords=Augason&qid=1657827513&sprefix=augason%2Caps%2C135&sr=8-2

That's a good price, seeing as it's shipped to your door free. I see them at Winco for $15.98. We got powdered milk along with our government cheese and peanut butter when I was a kid (bleh). My mom tried blending it half and half with regular milk, but it just made the whole jug taste like powdered milk. I have a couple, but mostly stack cans of evaporated milk. One can of it, add one can of water, and it tastes like store-bought fresh milk.

Jester-ND
07-15-2022, 08:46 AM
That's a good price, seeing as it's shipped to your door free. I see them at Winco for $15.98. We got powdered milk along with our government cheese and peanut butter when I was a kid (bleh). My mom tried blending it half and half with regular milk, but it just made the whole jug taste like powdered milk. I have a couple, but mostly stack cans of evaporated milk. One can of it, add one can of water, and it tastes like store-bought fresh milk.

I've heard the secret to powdered milk is to add a few drops of vanilla flavoring....

Broncosfan
07-19-2022, 06:34 PM
Not really prepping but we went out tonight and picked a few chanterelle mushrooms. 19244 These will be part of tomorrows dinner

Prepared One
07-19-2022, 06:42 PM
I've heard the secret to powdered milk is to add a few drops of vanilla flavoring....

That's what my Mom used.

SOCOM42
07-19-2022, 08:05 PM

Yup! My mother did the same when bringing up my two brothers.

At some point in time, which I do not remember,

might have been when we moved or the dairy stopped delivering milk house to house,

our milkman went away, no mother wasn't diddling him, she was interested in the undertaker,

still was 40+ years later when she died.

With two rugrats to deal with, she used powdered milk and Karo Syrup mixed for them,

and I used the milk straight for my tea and coffee.

Remember this was in the early 50s, there were no supermarkets available to us at that time,

not until the old man bought his first car, a 1953 Chevy.

There were local little mom and pop stores where we moved from, none were we went to.

Inor
07-19-2022, 10:00 PM

I am going to try making powdered milk soon.

I have been on a burn to start making my own chocolate bars lately so I have been studying up on how to do it. Milk chocolate obviously requires milk but any water at all will cause the chocolate to "seize" (whatever that means, but it doesn't sound good). So the chocolate guy that I have been reading describes how to make your own powdered milk from whole milk. Basically, you boil it slowly until it starts to thicken then just put it in a dehydrator. I'll let you all know how it works out once I try it. (I still have a couple more kitchen machines to buy/build, as well as raw cacao beans, before I can start. But...)

Sparkyprep
07-21-2022, 11:46 AM
Started construction on the new chicken coop. I will start a new thread with pics today.

Sparkyprep
08-07-2022, 03:37 PM
Dry canned more pintos, red kidney beans, egg noodles, and black-eyed peas. Added to the pantry.

StratBastard
08-07-2022, 07:34 PM
Been trying out these Wal Mart store brand items which are priced WAY cheaper than the name brand stuff.

Chiefster23
08-07-2022, 07:41 PM
Been trying out these Wal Mart store brand items which are priced WAY cheaper than the name brand stuff.

Any good?

hawgrider
08-07-2022, 08:12 PM

Hows the hash compare to "Mary Kitchen"

StratBastard
08-07-2022, 09:15 PM
Hows the hash compare to "Mary Kitchen"

I'll let you know. Mary Kitchen is my favorite. Nalley's is the worst one I have tried. It's so sloppy, you can't brown or crisp it up.

StratBastard
08-07-2022, 09:18 PM
Any good?

The corned beef is just like any other corned beef. I'm trying the generic Spam next. At $1.98 a can, I hope it's good, 'cuz that's a buck cheaper than Spam.

Inor
08-07-2022, 09:41 PM
I'll let you know. Mary Kitchen is my favorite. Nalley's is the worst one I have tried. It's so sloppy, you can't brown or crisp it up.

I LOVE Mary's Kitchen Corned Beef Hash! I could live on that stuff! (Not for very long, but I would die happy.)

T-Man 1066
08-08-2022, 07:34 AM
As far as priority of preps go round here, that is not too far down the list from beer... and that is a high priority prep.

Little known fact: I am pretty good at rotating stock on my preps, you know, just so it don't go bad and all... :needbeer:

MountainGirl
08-08-2022, 08:03 AM
I LOVE Mary's Kitchen Corned Beef Hash! I could live on that stuff! (Not for very long, but I would die happy.)

Love it here, too. There's a 'couple' (lol) in our food stocks.
Also - Mary's Roast Beef Hash is really good too, just a bit less salty, and fried up with a couple eggs? Oh yeah. :thumb:

SOCOM42
08-08-2022, 08:15 AM
How's the hash compare to "Mary Kitchen"

Have never seen any of them at my local wally superstore, will have to take a closer look next time, in case I missed it.

Have a ton of "classic" spam on the shelf.

T-Man 1066
08-08-2022, 02:47 PM
Have never seen any of them at my local wally superstore, will have to take a closer look next time, in case I missed it.

Have a ton of "classic" spam on the shelf.

Locally at Schnucks, its by the Tuna, and the Dinty Moore Beef Stew (also an excellent prep)

And agreed it does make for an excellent breakfast. I usually throw a 1/2 can of CBH in a cast iron skillet with some real butter, mushrooms, and bell peppers, fry for about 10 mins, then drop a half dozen eggs into it and top with sharp cheddar cheese. Between that and a pot of black coffee, I'm good till dinner.

Jester-ND
08-09-2022, 08:37 PM
2nd batch of banana chips in the freeze dryer, picked some raspberries on the compound walk-around, getting ready to harvest the mint.

bigwheel
08-10-2022, 06:57 PM
Have tried it. Very acceptable. As are most all their store brands I have tried. I like Greek Yogurt for Breakfast and their Great Value Brand is a buck or two cheaper and only a little more watery than the Greek Gods brand..which I never did like the name. I want Tillimook Yogurt. Its the best but I think Target may have a lock on it and I cant stand that place. The Sardines in lousiana hot sauce is real tasty for a snack and is cheap cheap.

Chiefster23
08-18-2022, 01:56 PM
I noticed my solar panel array hasn’t been putting out as much power as usual. Today I disassembled all the MC4 connectors. Found several cracked and broken. Replaced all the bad ones. Cleaned everything with spray cleaner. Reassembled and refastened all the wiring. BINGO! Back in business at full power again. So I guess I need to perform this maintenance about every 5 years or so. Might really need that solar set up here pretty soon if things don’t straighten out in Washington with the commies and buffoons.

MountainGirl
08-19-2022, 07:05 AM
We picked up a little solar generator last week... and a small box fan yesterday. <--Those are for my personal survival, lol.

The gens are ready to go and plenty of propane on hand for keeping things going during primary hurricane season (which PO tells me is between now and Oct) and after a really violent lightning storm last night (WOW!!!) I'm looking forward to whatever comes. :)

Prepared One
08-19-2022, 08:38 AM
We picked up a little solar generator last week... and a small box fan yesterday. <--Those are for my personal survival, lol.

The gens are ready to go and plenty of propane on hand for keeping things going during primary hurricane season (which PO tells me is between now and Oct) and after a really violent lightning storm last night (WOW!!!) I'm looking forward to whatever comes. :)

That was some spectacular lightning storm baby! Nature put on a display last night for sure. I am impressed with the solar generator. Maintains it's charge and the panels look to be very good quality. Lightweight and will run fans, lights and even a small AC unit for a short while. It has pass through capabilities as well so we can use it the Gen while it's charging.

SGG
08-19-2022, 03:32 PM
Haven't been here a while. Traded a Camaro for a truck and got $14,000 equity. Sold my truck a year later for $14,000 cash more than I owed.

Erased $20,000 debt I owed on the truck, and I paid off $10,000 credit card debt. Debt free, I only owe on our house. Now I'm saving over $2,000 a month cash!
Best prep I've ever done

Chiefster23
08-19-2022, 04:44 PM
I only planted a small plot of carrots this year. This morning I harvested and prepared 8 pints for canning. Loading the pressure canner I dropped and broke two pints. My own damned fault! But it still pissed me off! I should still get a second batch to can. Tomorrow will be making a small batch of peach jam and just maybe my first batch of salsa this season.

hawgrider
08-19-2022, 05:11 PM
Haven't been here a while. Traded a Camaro for a truck and got $14,000 equity. Sold my truck a year later for $14,000 cash more than I owed.

Erased $20,000 debt I owed on the truck, and I paid off $10,000 credit card debt. Debt free, I only owe on our house. Now I'm saving over $2,000 a month cash!
Best prep I've ever done

Feels good dumping the dept doesn't it.

hawgrider
08-19-2022, 06:05 PM
Picked and processed damn near a short bed pick up full of sweet corn for the family's frezzers.

I'm bushed and beat up like a red headed step child.

T-Man 1066
08-19-2022, 06:14 PM
Picked and processed damn near a short bed pick up full of sweet corn for the family's frezzers.

I'm bushed and beat up like a red headed step child.

You will pat yourself on the back every time you cook it over the winter vs eating a can of store corn...

Sparkyprep
08-19-2022, 06:30 PM
Planted a new tangelo tree.

Prepared One
08-19-2022, 06:35 PM

Best prep I've ever done

Good to see ya SGG. Drop in and see us every now and again. We finally got Hawg to promise not to run naked anymore, at least not till it's dark. :eyebrows:
MG says hi!

Slippy
08-19-2022, 07:41 PM
SGG;

Good job my friend! Great to see you again!

Slip!

Best prep I've ever done

hawgrider
08-19-2022, 07:49 PM
Planted a new tangelo tree.

Tangelos are the bomb! Love em!

StratBastard
08-19-2022, 09:20 PM

Best prep I've ever done

Good work there! Absolutely the best prep, especially with what's coming up ahead! I am debt free myself. It solves a plethora of problems and potential problems.

BucketBack
08-19-2022, 09:57 PM
I'll be planting any leftover trees I run across.

SGG
08-22-2022, 12:02 AM
Thanks everyone, yes it feels amazing and it has barely sunk in yet, even though it made an immediate difference in my life. Wasn't quite sure about selling the new truck because I'm used to new/newer vehicles (reliability is a great feeling) and I wasn't sure my POS was ready for the road. Good news is now I have money to fix the POS if it breaks down. More money for more preps. Going to throw a bunch of money at the house payment as well and try to get out from under that.

Prep of the day, I bought my first safe. This, but the non digital keypad.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220822/087edac1896f677a4d6ba89182e02170.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220822/a07acdffe2994a889538e9b059a8f976.jpg

SOCOM42
08-22-2022, 09:54 AM
Good that you got the dial type of combo.

I showed the LGS owner how to enter a digital lock in 60 seconds.

All mine are dial types, would NEVER OWN a digital one.

Prepared One
08-22-2022, 10:37 AM
Thanks everyone, yes it feels amazing and it has barely sunk in yet, even though it made an immediate difference in my life. Wasn't quite sure about selling the new truck because I'm used to new/newer vehicles (reliability is a great feeling) and I wasn't sure my POS was ready for the road. Good news is now I have money to fix the POS if it breaks down. More money for more preps. Going to throw a bunch of money at the house payment as well and try to get out from under that.

Prep of the day, I bought my first safe. This, but the non digital keypad.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220822/087edac1896f677a4d6ba89182e02170.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220822/a07acdffe2994a889538e9b059a8f976.jpg

Being out of debt is the best prep of all, especially with whats coming this Fall/Winter. MG and I are debt free as well, we owe nobody nothing! Cash in the bank and for now, the 401K, will go a long way towards solving any future problems. Buckle up, it's going to get frosty. Once again, congrats on your debt independence.

SGG
09-01-2022, 08:11 PM
Good that you got the dial type of combo.

I showed the LGS owner how to enter a digital lock in 60 seconds.

All mine are dial types, would NEVER OWN a digital one.Got shipped the wrong one, but my brother is a locksmith, that's who I bought the safe from. So they sent us a dial and we popped that on in place of the electric dial.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220902/53c6eb167f51ff12eb35c7d431baaa37.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220902/5b9b366dab14516d0b6de69bca9764a0.jpg

Sparkyprep
09-02-2022, 07:37 AM
Pretty awesome that you have a locksmith in the family.

TJC44
09-02-2022, 09:53 AM
The dog was supervising.

Sent from my LE2117 using Tapatalk

SOCOM42
09-02-2022, 10:11 AM
Is that a set key in the bag of goodies?

I have several of them for different makes myself..

hawgrider
09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
My prep of the day was dust off and sport my camo MAGA hat. FJB

Box of frogs
09-02-2022, 01:21 PM
My prep of the day was dust off and sport my camo MAGA hat. FJB

Lol. I was looking for my TRUMP 2024 hat this morning but it’s in a pile with my other hats.
I’ll find it this weekend.

BoF

Slippy
09-02-2022, 04:08 PM
We keep a separate bank/checking/savings account for most of our preps and I fund the account periodically. Mrs S does most of the shopping and has a list of items that she buys regularly; food, ammo, cleaning, medical supplies etc

Back story; Mrs S is an extremely intelligent adult female woman but after all these years being married, I'm not sure she knows exactly where money comes from...but I digress...

...The other day she comes to me and says the "bank account" is down to X dollars, it never gets that low, what's up?

I gently take her hand, walk her down to the basement where we keep a large amount of our preps and wave my hand like that chick from Wheel of Fortune...

...She has SERIOUSLY ramped up her prep buying on ALL things!

God Bless her, I love that little lady!

Inor
09-02-2022, 07:27 PM
I went and cut down and hauled another truckload of mesquite firewood for the winter of 2023/24. This winter's firewood is just waiting to be cut and split into stove lengths. The stuff I cut and hauled yesterday and today needs to dry for a year before we can use it.

Cutting firewood is a great activity for a young man. I am not a young man anymore...

Chiefster23
09-02-2022, 07:29 PM
The wife is not on board with prepping. She thinks I’m nuts. But I just ignore it all and keep pushing ahead. Now I’m harvesting tomatoes and making salsa. She keeps asking why I’m canning so much. We both watch the same news shows but things just are not sinking in with her. I’ve been buying extra food supplies with every trip to the store. This week I started laying in extra bags of dog food. I am 1000% sure things are going to get much-much worse here in the very near future. Especially after the cabbage in chief’s ranting and raving over the last few days. I fully expect the left to start committing violence against us at any time. So the toms continue getting canned. Sweet peppers are getting frozen. Some of the bean plants are being allowed to go to seed for planting next year.

Prepared One
09-02-2022, 09:38 PM
After yesterday's declaration of war by a bumbling and clearly demented, out of touch, incompetent, Joe Biden and his corrupt, socialist administration, Rene and I are doubling down. Bring it Joe, you stupid bastard.

Box of frogs
09-03-2022, 06:33 AM
The wife is not on board with prepping. She thinks I’m nuts. But I just ignore it all and keep pushing ahead. Now I’m harvesting tomatoes and making salsa. She keeps asking why I’m canning so much. We both watch the same news shows but things just are not sinking in with her. I’ve been buying extra food supplies with every trip to the store. This week I started laying in extra bags of dog food. I am 1000% sure things are going to get much-much worse here in the very near future. Especially after the cabbage in chief’s ranting and raving over the last few days. I fully expect the left to start committing violence against us at any time. So the toms continue getting canned. Sweet peppers are getting frozen. Some of the bean plants are being allowed to go to seed for planting next year.

Stay the course brother.
You’re doing what all good men do, care and provide for those he cares for.
Even if she can’t she it right now, you do, and that’s what matters.
She will be grateful on the day that those preps become your life line while others are scrambling for crumbs

BoF

T-Man 1066
09-03-2022, 07:54 AM

I am in the same boat with T-Woman 1066...

She does see value in food storage atleast. Was cooking tacos a couple nights ago, says "sorry T-Man, we are out of black olives".

I said "fake news!!" Went to my pile, grabbed a few cans. Became hero for about 3 minutes...

I says "put black olives on the list"

"Are we out of them downstairs?"

"No, there are about 25 more cans"

"Then why am I putting them on the list?"

"Seriously? T-Woman, I have spoken. DO MY BIDDING! While you're at it, get me another beer!!"

<ducking for cover while grinning ear to ear> :shitstorm:

T-Man 1066
09-03-2022, 12:27 PM
Been going through my food preps, non perishable, can & box items, etc. Been adding to the pile, but got very dis-organized, couldn't find things without a "where's waldo" style search. Added another shelving unit, went through about 80% of it, and made sure everything is dated, sorted, and rotated. Couple surprises, items I didn't think I had alot of, I had tons, other things I am very low on. But at a glance I now know exactly what I have, and can find it real easy. Also ordered more mylar bags and O2 absorbers, so I can put back more stuff.

Tomorrow AM I will finish up sorting the dry stuff, and then I can go though the deep freezers. Need to de-frost and get a good assessment of what I am low on...

On a last note, FJB!!!!!!!!!

Michael_Js
09-03-2022, 12:54 PM
More harvesting from the garden, and started planting cover crops in the partial empty beds. I'll post pictures in the Garden thread...

StratBastard
09-03-2022, 01:10 PM
Thank the GAWDS I am now an old (and unavailable) bachelor. Well, occasionally available, just not to keep. I make decisions about prep expenditures without any conflicts. The few people still under my wing are awake and see what could be coming, so no static from them either. Actual gratitude... imagine that! Wasn't like that 25 years ago...

StratBastard
09-03-2022, 01:19 PM
Just did my usual... went grocery shopping, and while there picked up a couple canned hams, a couple more corned beef, a few cans of veggies. Like maybe an extra $20. Not very exciting, but when you do it every time it adds right up.

Slippy
09-03-2022, 02:02 PM
Good job Inor! I'm older than you and agree 100%.

(I buy my firewood by the split cord for the past 5 years or so! I'm so lazy...)

I went and cut down and hauled another truckload of mesquite firewood for the winter of 2023/24. This winter's firewood is just waiting to be cut and split into stove lengths. The stuff I cut and hauled yesterday and today needs to dry for a year before we can use it.

Cutting firewood is a great activity for a young man. I am not a young man anymore...

SOCOM42
09-03-2022, 03:31 PM
I guess I am lucky, it is just me and daughter here.

I think she is more of a hard core prepper than I am.

Way too many times we buy prepping goods and her opinion of a purchase is "not enough"!

End up doubling whatever it is.

When working at the gun shop she would buy up incomplete boxes of ammo, dirt cheap, and bring them home.

Even stuff that we have no guns for at this time.

We even keep two years worth of dog food for all the hawg's on hand because of her.

MountainGirl
09-03-2022, 05:19 PM
Nothing today, but yesterday we had a split cord of pecan delivered & stacked (another cord comes in 2wks); ordered a metal mesh screen for the fireplace (made right here in TX!); made a list of things to buy this month; procured a work table for cooking on the deck just outside the kitchen door (when power is out); ordered a few 'outdoor cooking thingys'; reviewed freedom seed supplies (ordered more); PO made a hooch run. I took a nap. :)

Prepared One
09-03-2022, 06:02 PM
I am loading up and keeping my head down. Bad shit comes this way.

Box of frogs
09-03-2022, 07:21 PM

This post got me motivated.
Cut three red oaks and drug the trunks up to where I keep the splitter.
It was a crap load of work !
BoF

TJC44
09-03-2022, 08:11 PM
Ugh! I'm going to NEED firewood as soon as I close on the new house. It will already be October by then, so I know I'll need at least 2-3 cord of seasoned stuff. This is going to hurt. :setfire::smashfreak::whippin::acid::cliff::kickin balls:

Inor
09-03-2022, 09:02 PM
Good job Inor! I'm older than you and agree 100%.

(I buy my firewood by the split cord for the past 5 years or so! I'm so lazy...)

I do enjoy getting out in the weeds and cutting firewood and hauling it home. It's the next several days AFTER that really suck!

Oh well, Mrs Inor said she would go out with me tomorrow and get some more so that will be good.

MountainGirl
09-04-2022, 07:00 AM
Ugh! I'm going to NEED firewood as soon as I close on the new house. It will already be October by then, so I know I'll need at least 2-3 cord of seasoned stuff. This is going to hurt....

Yes it'll hurt a bit AND you're gonna love having to do it because of where you are and what you're doing. :) :) :)

Do you have a source of heat other than wood?
We went through a heavy 5 cord up on the mountain, 7 in a hard winter. Just sayin. :D

SGG
09-05-2022, 11:12 PM
Pretty awesome that you have a locksmith in the family.It's so great. He's done a lot for me personally, and where I work. I got the safe at his cost

SGG
09-05-2022, 11:18 PM
Is that a set key in the bag of goodies?

I have several of them for different makes myself..

Yes, its a set ket, I set my own combo. Girlfriend had a little bit of trouble understanding how to open the safe at first but I think she has it down now.
No preps today, unless you count cleaning up for a humongous garage sale

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220906/ad356182151c14af10937df976779493.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220906/32bca88e0c005780351aad7f93b918e9.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220906/d5359857308c6273903094ce125234bd.jpg

White Shadow
09-06-2022, 10:53 AM
How much support I get for my prepping planning/purchasing depends on which one of my wife's personalities I'm talking to. Some days I wish they came with name tags.

Jester-ND
09-06-2022, 09:27 PM
couple more bags of green beans freeze dried and sealed in mylar... $600 more spent at Wally-world....

Prepared One
09-07-2022, 07:17 AM
I added a couple more security cameras and solar lights. As well, MG and I are putting in extra supplies every trip to wally world. Adding in more ammunition as we go.. I still have a bad feeling about this fall and winter. Something wicked this way comes.

BucketBack
09-07-2022, 07:25 AM
Thank the GAWDS I am now an old (and unavailable) bachelor. Well, occasionally available, just not to keep. I make decisions about prep expenditures without any conflicts. The few people still under my wing are awake and see what could be coming, so no static from them either. Actual gratitude... imagine that! Wasn't like that 25 years ago...

I too am unavailable with no legal title.

I had Amazon ship some male coax connectors and 150' of weatherproof coax cable to hook up an antenna overlooking the corn

Heading to Cabelas today to pick up what they have and maybe even a deal in the parking lot from an old MGO pal.

I still have their phone numbers

We'll hit up some Asian Markets on Division, and see what Silver Bullet has when I chat with the 'Smith

BucketBack
09-08-2022, 07:47 AM
I let my buddies son pick up the 870 12 gauge 28" barrel = $350

He drove the 100 mile round trip to Cabelas yesterday

Since his Pa has a spot just below Croton Dam where the salmonoids stop this time of year. Then the chrome come feed off the roe. I thought it would be cool to let him buy it with $$$ earned by doing chores.

Plus I won't have to lend him one of mine.

Jester-ND
09-18-2022, 02:43 PM
after chiseling and drilling an 8" hole through 12" of concrete for chimney to Buck stove in the basement.. got it about 90% installed..

bigwheel
09-18-2022, 09:46 PM
I been perfecting my ho made Ginger Champagne to be used as barter when the demonic democrats crash the economy.

Chiefster23
09-19-2022, 05:45 AM
7 quarts of peaches canned. 5 sweet peppers stuffed with sausage vac packed and frozen.

Jester-ND
09-25-2022, 06:54 PM
Spent the day filling gallon freezer bags with apple pie filling. Got through 1 1/2 5 gallon buckets of apples... 7 buckets left to go. Boil the scraps for jelly.

Inor
09-25-2022, 07:23 PM
I have to change all the fluids on the tractor in the next few weeks, so I decided I should get some extra motor oil, hydraulic oil and grease. It's not like it goes bad over time, so it will get used eventually. So I went out and bought 10 more gallons of motor oil, 15 more gallons of hydraulic oil and 2 more cases of grease.

Broncosfan
09-29-2022, 02:42 PM
Just wondering what everyone's doing to store water? I will store out in a pole building I'm about to build. It will freeze here in Ohio. So I'm thinking of leaving a head space to allow for freezing. If I add bleach to the water the air in the head space should be a problem at least I don't think so. Anyone have any advice on what type of containers their using or other info?

SOCOM42
09-29-2022, 03:00 PM
Just wondering what everyone's doing to store water? I will store out in a pole building I'm about to build. It will freeze here in Ohio. So I'm thinking of leaving a head space to allow for freezing. If I add bleach to the water the air in the head space should be a problem at least I don't think so. Anyone have any advice on what type of containers their using or other info?

What has the the bleach have to do with the relationship to the HS and the container?

Are you referring to bleach oxidization caused by the airspace?

Can you restate the question?

I only have a lot of water stored in bunker use if needed long term, when going out is impossible.

and some 40 gallons in house for winter storm problems.

All house water is distilled water providing extra long term storage, it would be dumped in the Big Berkey anyways.

As long as there is water lines I will get water from the town tank on the hill.

When that fails, I will pump water from the river behind me or go out to the lake in front.

Or use the well that I have on standby with a hand pump.

T-Man 1066
09-29-2022, 03:00 PM
My gut feeling is dump the water before it freezes. You can't use it until it thaws anyways. I would keep some type of water in your basement if you have one, maybe something like this?

Or maybe 8-12 of them and then a 100 gallon?

Even if you lose heat, in the basement it will likely last for a while before freezing, also if you had to bug out, you could take the portable ones with you...

SOCOM42
09-29-2022, 03:25 PM
I have not even gotten dressed today, and don't plan on it, this is a rest day for me.

Yesterday while searching for something, I found a brand new unfired Enfield#4mk1* stored near another one but out of sight.

I also found an unfired Chink army SKS not a commercial piece of crap from castings,

in the same plie of winter clothing and field gear as the 303, plus a 1,600+ round case of East German 7.62X39 in the same pile.

This is the AK AP ammo banned by the ATF from coming into the country.

They made us stop selling the stuff, we could keep what we had, and I had a shitload of it,

still do along with the chink stuff, no Russian though?

The SKS's and the Enfields are basically Alamo guns, for use when the primary one's fail,

and or for those who have none from within our ever shrinking circle.

Tomorrow it is doc appointments and Saturday work on Jeep, and more gas swap out.

Sunday is gun repair day for me, customer guns that is.

Just refinished re-barreling two M1A guns.

Broncosfan
09-29-2022, 04:50 PM
What has the the bleach have to do with the relationship to the HS and the container?

Are you referring to bleach oxidization caused by the airspace?

Can you restate the question?

I only have a lot of water stored in bunker use if needed long term, when going out is impossible.

and some 40 gallons in house for winter storm problems.

All house water is distilled water providing extra long term storage, it would be dumped in the Big Berkey anyways.

As long as there is water lines I will get water from the town tank on the hill.

When that fails, I will pump water from the river behind me or go out to the lake in front.

My thinking is if the tank was completely full there would be less oxygen in the tank. Less O2 and hopefully less chance of something growing. If I used bleach in all that really shouldn't be a problem. My thought about the headspace was just to allow room for expansion if it froze. I have rain water storage to to use for toilet flushing and even washing.

SOCOM42
09-29-2022, 05:45 PM
My thinking is if the tank was completely full there would be less oxygen in the tank. Less O2 and hopefully less chance of something growing. If I used bleach in all that really shouldn't be a problem. My thought about the headspace was just to allow room for expansion if it froze. I have rain water storage to to use for toilet flushing and even washing.

If you treat the water with the right amount of bleach there should be no problem with bacterial growth in the air space.

You can, for mindset, add extra bleach to the water, it will oxidize itself over time.

You can always remove it with a water filter like the Big Berkey I have.

I have 5 gallon USGI water "cans" actually plastic filled and chlorinated X2, none have ever froze where they are stored.

No problem with the water's quality either, have put stained samples under a microscope at 2KX nothing bacterial seen in it.

Sparkyprep
09-29-2022, 05:47 PM
I run a 100 gallon tank that I keep in my shop. But, I don’t have to worry about freezing. I also have about 25 1 gallon store-bought jugs that I keep in the pantry.

1skrewsloose
09-29-2022, 08:39 PM
I must be an oddball, I don't store water, stream 3 blocks away, lake 6 blocks away, Big berkey-spare filters, dozen 5 gal pails with gamma seals and a pickup truck. 55 gal barrel to fill to keep trips to a minimum.

Remember, for commode use, if its yellow, leave it for the next fellow, if its brown, flush it down.

SOCOM42
09-29-2022, 09:24 PM
I must be an oddball, I don't store water, stream 3 blocks away, lake 6 blocks away, Big berkey-spare filters, dozen 5 gal pails with gamma seals and a pickup truck. 55 gal barrel to fill to keep trips to a minimum.

Remember, for commode use, if its yellow, leave it for the next fellow, if its brown, flush it down.

I live next to a lake, the river that feeds it runs behind my shop, not short of water by any measure.

I can decon the lake water if I need to, should the need arise.

The water I store is for emergencies, should they develop and we are unable to leave here.

One of those cloistering reasons could be fallout from a nuke strike, which is an increasing possibility give the state of the world.

StratBastard
09-29-2022, 10:13 PM
I live next to a lake, the river that feeds it runs behind my shop, not short of water by any measure.

I can decon the lake water if I need to, should the need arise.

The water I store is for emergencies, should they develop and we are unable to leave here.

One of those cloistering reasons could be fallout from a nuke strike, which is an increasing possibility give the state of the world.

Same here. I keep a good couple month's worth of water around the house for emergencies. I used to have a sweet 1100 gallon tank, but gave it to a prepper friend when I moved... no place to put it here. But like you, I am around 100 yards from the McKenzie river, which is pretty clean snow runoff water. One time through my filter system, and it's good to go. Unless the river starts running with radioactive water. That's gonna be a problem.

Jester-ND
09-29-2022, 10:27 PM
possible to dig a 4x4 hole in the pole barn? line it with cinder blocks, cover it with an insulated lid, may not freeze.

Slippy
09-30-2022, 07:09 AM
My county is upgrading the water lines and we lost county water yesterday for a few hours. No problem, my 500 gallon Norwesco tanks are full and we were able to flush the toilets and water the garden.

I still need to complete my Well System with an underground cistern and pump station. Time and Money, time and money...

SOCOM42
09-30-2022, 08:51 AM
Same here. I keep a good couple month's worth of water around the house for emergencies. I used to have a sweet 1100 gallon tank, but gave it to a prepper friend when I moved... no place to put it here. But like you, I am around 100 yards from the McKenzie river, which is pretty clean snow runoff water. One time through my filter system, and it's good to go. Unless the river starts running with radioactive water. That's gonna be a problem.

Should not be too much of a worry, with good filters the radioactive particulates should be filtered out without a problem.

Running the water through a sand filter first, will remove most of the problem, reducing the dangerous (rads)buildup in the filters.

By comparison, those particulates are huge compared to the bios they are designed to trap.

A good Geiger counter will tell you what is happening in the water and the air, best stay inside until the levels drop, a week or two.

Broncosfan
09-30-2022, 12:12 PM
Just got a call our beef is ready for pickup. So were set on beef for the next year.

Inor
09-30-2022, 12:41 PM
Just got a call our beef is ready for pickup. So were set on beef for the next year.

:potd:

AWESOME!!! You will be VERY happy with that! There is nothing better than having several hundred pounds of good beef on hand! Plus, paying about half what the grocer wants for crappy beef is good too.

Broncosfan
09-30-2022, 12:50 PM
:potd:

AWESOME!!! You will be VERY happy with that! There is nothing better than having several hundred pounds of good beef on hand! Plus, paying about half what the grocer wants for crappy beef is good too.

Although we didn't raise it we purchased it direct from the farm. They were recommend by a cousin and a couple of family members that have ate their beef. It ended up 855lbs hanging weight. It was an Angus so I don't know much it that is good or bad. The butcher told me that their beef usually come in high on the hanging weight and to expect 60% after all said and done. Plan to pick up Monday for Tuesday. Should be close to 500 lbs.

Broncosfan
09-30-2022, 03:00 PM
So I completely forgot about the Berkley water system. For those of you that have one. Do you use it now? From my understanding they don't filter out minerals just bacteria. Is that correct? Where is the best place to buy? Berkleys website seems to be cheaper than Amazon. I'm looking at the Royal. Buying one would save me a lot of headaches in trying to store water.

Slippy
09-30-2022, 03:54 PM
So I completely forgot about the Berkley water system. For those of you that have one. Do you use it now? From my understanding they don't filter out minerals just bacteria. Is that correct? Where is the best place to buy? Berkleys website seems to be cheaper than Amazon. I'm looking at the Royal. Buying one would save me a lot of headaches in trying to store water.

We have the Big Berkey and multiple filters. We do not use it daily or even regularly. Every couple of years, I'll set it up and run some water through it and check for any problems but generally speaking, its for JIC (Just In Case)

Inor
09-30-2022, 05:15 PM

Like Slip, we have a Royal Berkey as well. We also do not use it regularly but every couple years we run a few gallons through it (mostly to make sure nothing has grown on the filters). They are great filters and they basically remove everything: plants, animals, minerals, bacteria. I do not recall how small they filter to, but it is some ridiculously small thing (maybe 1 or 2 microns?)

I figure if we get some bug from the water that is smaller than the Berkey can filter, God must want us on His side more than the Berkey people want us on this side and I am okay with that.

The only negative thing I have to say about the Berkey is the spigot on the clean water tank does have a tendency to leak unless you get it REALLY tight and I am always afraid I am going to break it because it is just plastic. (So I bought a couple extras.)

1skrewsloose
09-30-2022, 07:08 PM
They do or did offer stainless steel spigots, fyi.

Broncosfan
09-30-2022, 07:34 PM
We have the Big Berkey and multiple filters. We do not use it daily or even regularly. Every couple of years, I'll set it up and run some water through it and check for any problems but generally speaking, its for JIC (Just In Case)

Do you have 2 or 4 filters in yours?

Broncosfan
09-30-2022, 08:00 PM
So Inor suggested I go with the 4 filter unit. I also got the upgraded stainless spigot. So that helps with my water storage problem somewhat.

Inor
09-30-2022, 10:09 PM
So Inor suggested I go with the 4 filter unit. I also got the upgraded stainless spigot. So that helps with my water storage problem somewhat.

Excellent choice on the spigot too! I did not know they even offered metal ones. That is DEFINITELY going on the MUST GET list!

Sparkyprep
10-01-2022, 05:32 AM
Forget buying the Berkey. They are expensive. Save a tone of money by buying just the Berkey filter element, and two food grade 5 gallon buckets, a build your own filter system. Instructions are on YouTube. That is what I did.

Broncosfan
10-04-2022, 01:45 PM
Our inflation fighter. We picked up the beef today so the freezer is full. Another 50 lbs of hamburger in the other freezers. 20237

Inor
10-04-2022, 03:32 PM
Our inflation fighter. We picked up the beef today so the freezer is full. Another 50 lbs of hamburger in the other freezers. 20237

And beyond saving a few bucks, it tastes much better than anything you can buy I'm sure! Congratulations!

1skrewsloose
10-05-2022, 11:36 AM
Forget buying the Berkey. They are expensive. Save a tone of money by buying just the Berkey filter element, and two food grade 5 gallon buckets, a build your own filter system. Instructions are on YouTube. That is what I did.

I showed that idea to the wife a few years back, she said it was too ugly to have in the house. So...if momma ain't happy, nobody's happy.

SOCOM42
10-05-2022, 03:21 PM
They do or did offer stainless steel spigots, fyi.

They did, unknown if do now.

I have a spare SS one for mine, a Big Berkey.

I have 4 filters in mine and it is used every day here.

Have a set of spare filters for it also.

We use about a gallon of water out of it average each day for drinking and cooking, no other usage.

During the summer I draw out an extra gallon to put in the fridge.

Filters have been in use for 13? years now, they still work well, not much of a load on them, water is pretty clean anyways.

I do put some under the microscope looking for bacteria, nothing. Titrate for some chemicals, none either.

Inor
10-05-2022, 07:19 PM
Went to the tractor store and bought two more complete sets of filters - oil, fuel, transmission, hydraulic, air. I now have a total of 3 complete sets, but I have to use one set this fall when I get it ready for winter. I was pleasantly surprised, the prices have actually come down a little since the last time I bought them.

I also ordered 2 spare carburetors for my weed whacker and 2 carburetors for each of my chainsaws.

I'm starting to get a little paranoid that parts may become unavailable at any price, so I have been on a burn the last months or so to just stock some extras of the stuff I go through regularly.

Prepared One
10-05-2022, 08:14 PM
MG and I put in a few more rounds of 5.56, 9, and 00. Some more can goods, pasta, and we have a bunch of books on the way and some more first aid. Get what you can now, I am not convinced you can get what you need later.

Just sayin.

SOCOM42
10-05-2022, 08:58 PM
I showed that idea to the wife a few years back, she said it was too ugly to have in the house. So...if momma ain't happy, nobody's happy.

Funny, my daughter @34 thinks it looks cool next to the microwave, she uses it all the time.

But then this is a girl that carries two guns on her, mostly a G-17 and a 25 Colt.

Good or bad, your viewpoint, she is very much like me.

StratBastard
10-05-2022, 11:51 PM
Just a case of bourbon this week. Prioritizing, don'tcha know.

Broncosfan
10-06-2022, 06:46 AM
Berkley was delivered yesterday. so when I have time I will check it out. Today we're starting to set poles for a new building next to the shipping container. Will take me awhile to build but will give us enough room to store everything out of the weather.

Broncosfan
10-08-2022, 05:03 PM
Canned pears that we picked last weekend. Finished today with 42 quarts, Now to get them through a hot water bath!

SOCOM42
10-08-2022, 08:28 PM
I bought two flats of assorted Campbells chunky soup.

The shelves at Wally were pretty thin with what I did get.

There was not a single flat of one type, that is why I got assorted.

There were no store brands available, those shelf areas were just empty.

One can of the stuff can go a long way by adding a filler like rice or a pasta of your choice.

This purchase is for the coming winter readiness, they will get eaten by lazy me, with Goldfish crackers used like Oyster crackers.

I did at the same time, get 5 cans of Manhattan style clam chowder, New England style gives me the runs.

Also obtained two cases (12 rolls each) of choose a size paper towels.

And two cases of Fiji water for the kid, that makes 9 cases of it stored, she goes through a case in about 5 weeks, use with pills.

Chiefster23
10-09-2022, 05:36 AM
Went to the tractor store and bought two more complete sets of filters - oil, fuel, transmission, hydraulic, air. I now have a total of 3 complete sets, but I have to use one set this fall when I get it ready for winter. I was pleasantly surprised, the prices have actually come down a little since the last time I bought them.

I also ordered 2 spare carburetors for my weed whacker and 2 carburetors for each of my chainsaws.

I'm starting to get a little paranoid that parts may become unavailable at any price, so I have been on a burn the last months or so to just stock some extras of the stuff I go through regularly.

Same here. I have spare parts, belts, filters, etc. for all my vehicles and equipment. Even bought a spare carb for my Honda generator. But I haven’t thought about spare carbs for chainsaws or weed eaters. I’ll fix that this week. Going to have the wife check tomorrow and I’m going to buy a year’s supply of routine meds for the dogs. FYI, last year nut coal was $238 per ton. Yesterday $399!

Sparkyprep
10-09-2022, 07:28 AM
Just added a few more canned goods to the prepper pantry. Nothing special. I'm getting chicks in from Murray McMurray next week. Flock is growing. Anyone need some eggs? LOL.

Michael_Js
10-09-2022, 01:24 PM
Prep of the day Friday, and yesterday - doing the best for my wife's birthday weekend. Zoo with her parents, hike yesterday, brother & family over for hanging out and dinner last night.

I even made her requested NY-style cheesecake for her birthday - first one and it came our great!

Now, I'm tired...

Broncosfan
10-09-2022, 05:14 PM
We ended up with 69 quarts of pears. I estimate about 40 lbs that weren't ripe enough to can. Checked the tree and the weekend frost is ripening the ones hanging. SO hopefully we get those picked tomorrow. What a busy weekend!

Broncosfan
10-14-2022, 06:17 PM
Only 6 milk crates of pears to can tomorrow. Sort of glad I couldn't reach the ones in the very top of the tree

Inor
10-14-2022, 07:26 PM
Only 6 milk crates of pears to can tomorrow. Sort of glad I couldn't reach the ones in the very top of the tree

Good Lord! You are going to be eating pears for 3 meal per day!

1skrewsloose
10-14-2022, 07:59 PM

Don't know if it would work for pears, but have seen the machines they use that grab on to the trunk and shake the tree to drop the fruit. If it would work, I'd just ram into the tree a few times with my truck to see what happens. I'm lazy, what can I say.

1skrewsloose
10-14-2022, 08:02 PM

How about some wine?

https://commonsensehome.com/how-to-make-pear-wine/

Broncosfan
10-14-2022, 08:04 PM

I was only able to spray one time this year so here is a big loss there. So we don't get the full yield. Also the tree is very old and has already split of about half. So I don't know how much longer the tree will produce. Each milk crate weighs about 30 lbs. So based on that we have picked over 500 lbs. this year. That doesn't include the drops we picked for the deer.

Broncosfan
10-14-2022, 08:06 PM
How about some wine?

https://commonsensehome.com/how-to-make-pear-wine/

I'm not sure I need anything else to tackle this year. It does sound interesting. I'm also in the process of constructing a new shed building.

Broncosfan
10-14-2022, 08:12 PM
Don't know if it would work for pears, but have seen the machines they use that grab on to the trunk and shake the tree to drop the fruit. If it would work, I'd just ram into the tree a few times with my truck to see what happens. I'm lazy, what can I say.

This tree is so old its really just holding on by a thread. If I rammed it with my truck I'm positive I would have a pear tree in my new pond. I won't even try to climb it. When your around it and the wind blows you have to always have an emergency escape plan. I should probably take a picture. That tree has produced 1000's of pounds of pears overs its lifetime.

1skrewsloose
10-14-2022, 08:35 PM
This tree is so old its really just holding on by a thread. If I rammed it with my truck I'm positive I would have a pear tree in my new pond. I won't even try to climb it. When your around it and the wind blows you have to always have an emergency escape plan. I should probably take a picture. That tree has produced 1000's of pounds of pears overs its lifetime.

It's pretty amazing how big pear trees can get, when younger we had a go-cart track around a pear tree in back of the house, it was huge! Funny, I don't remember eating any pears from the tree. Now I got myself wondering.

SOCOM42
10-14-2022, 09:25 PM
To get away from the pears, which I use to liberate when I was a kid.

But I am not much of a pear eater in the first place, apples are better and plentiful around here.

I spent the day replacing the clutch in our washing machine, I don't work fast just steady.

Three grains of codeine, 4 Gabapentin and one Percocet got me through the day.

Even with all that my back still hurts.

Inor
10-14-2022, 11:44 PM
I got me a new pressure washer!

My old one finally died about a year ago and I was through spending money fixing it! It was just a Homelite brand. I cannot swear at it too much as it did last about 10 years. But the damn thing always seemed like I had to fiddle around with something just to keep it barely running.

A pressure washer is a must have tool living in the desert as it is about the only way to dig through some of the soil here. We have about a 3 foot thick layer of caliche that is about a foot under the top soil. For about 10 months per year, the caliche is literally harder than concrete. But with a pressure washer, I can blast holes in it and come back with the tractor and scoop it out. I am going to have to dig some serious trenches for the pig yard I want to make and this baby is going to be worth its weight in gold for that project (if it works as well as the reviews say).

Slippy
10-15-2022, 08:41 AM
Excellent Pro Tip for using the pressure washer to blast holes or soften the soil before doing some dirt work in Hard and Dry conditions!

I got me a new pressure washer!

My old one finally died about a year ago and I was through spending money fixing it! It was just a Homelite brand. I cannot swear at it too much as it did last about 10 years. But the damn thing always seemed like I had to fiddle around with something just to keep it barely running.

A pressure washer is a must have tool living in the desert as it is about the only way to dig through some of the soil here. We have about a 3 foot thick layer of caliche that is about a foot under the top soil. For about 10 months per year, the caliche is literally harder than concrete. But with a pressure washer, I can blast holes in it and come back with the tractor and scoop it out. I am going to have to dig some serious trenches for the pig yard I want to make and this baby is going to be worth its weight in gold for that project (if it works as well as the reviews say).

BucketBack
10-15-2022, 08:50 AM
skinning Roma's presently

Broncosfan
10-15-2022, 02:56 PM
To get away from the pears, which I use to liberate when I was a kid.

But I am not much of a pear eater in the first place, apples are better and plentiful around here.

I spent the day replacing the clutch in our washing machine, I don't work fast just steady.

Three grains of codeine, 4 Gabapentin and one Percocet got me through the day.

Even with all that my back still hurts.

I love apples as much as pears. This year I thought we might have a decent crop as we have several apple trees. The leaves seemed to drop early and the yellow jackets just seemed to eat away at them. Left with little more than deer feed.

BucketBack
10-15-2022, 04:31 PM
My Country Girl let me stumble on this garden and this canning crap. After 3 times I'm doing OK.

Box of frogs
10-16-2022, 06:03 AM
I will be putting some venison in the freezer when I get this back from the processor.
55 yard shot with a crossbow. Straight through the heart.

Rage mechanical broad heads are insanely effective.

Slippy
10-16-2022, 06:06 AM
Outstanding!

I will be putting some venison in the freezer when I get this back from the processor.

hawgrider
10-16-2022, 07:05 AM

I've been using Rage 100 grain for crossbow for quite a few years now all deer ive shot are DRT.
Congratulations on the frezzer meat. Why not butcher yourself?

Processing cost anywhere from 70 to 130 bucks round here.. nope wont do that.

TJC44
10-16-2022, 07:06 AM
My prep of the day for the last 2 weeks: Moving!

Box of frogs
10-16-2022, 09:50 AM
I've been using Rage 100 grain for crossbow for quite a few years now all deer ive shot are DRT.
Congratulations on the frezzer meat. Why not butcher yourself?

Processing cost anywhere from 70 to 130 bucks round here.. nope wont do that.

70.00 with the guys I use.
Short answer is cause it’s easy to drop it if and pick it up a week or so later.
Long answer is I need to invest in processing equipment to make ground meat and I don’t have the weather or the space to hang the carcass for three days the way the butcher does for me.
BoF

Jester-ND
10-16-2022, 09:18 PM
hanging it is overrated IMO...

hawgrider
10-17-2022, 10:18 AM
hanging it is overrated IMO...

Hanging beef/venison for 3 to 8 days at the proper temperatures the natural enzymes in the meat tenderize the meat.

Jester-ND
10-17-2022, 02:45 PM
Hanging beef/venison for 3 to 8 days at the proper temperatures the natural enzymes in the meat tenderize the meat.

I understand why it is done..... Just saying if cooked and prepared right you can get backstraps fork-tender straight off the carcass, un-aged, after sitting in the freezer for a yr.

MountainGirl
10-17-2022, 04:38 PM
Picked up 5 pork roasts to can, 3 more flats of jars, lids&rings
Found butter on sale, stocked up; will make it all shelf-stable this week.
Been dehydrating peppers & making jerky (which we ate, so not really preps lol)
Switched over to using a water filter (damn I miss that mountain water)
And the geiger counter showed up today. But PO can tell ya about that, if he wants.
Tweaked up a lot of other things... but I dont remember them all now.

MountainGirl
10-22-2022, 07:33 PM
Put up 4 1/2 pints of shelf stable butter.
Well, technically it's called ghee I guess.
Never had 'ghee' before and dang is it good.
I'm keeping the half-filled jar down and using it Yummm!
The rest were vacuum sealed and put away. :thumb:

20373 20374

First time doing it; messy but easy.
Started with 6lbs, had one jar fail, otherwise it would have been 5.5 pints.

Prepared One
10-22-2022, 07:48 PM

20373 20374

MG is taking care of business here. She is studying and filling in our gaps as far as our food storage. It's her kitchen and she is working it well.

Chiefster23
10-23-2022, 04:35 AM

20373 20374

Got a link to the proper procedure for canning butter? I’ve seen articles that say this is a no-no.

MountainGirl
10-23-2022, 07:24 AM
Got a link to the proper procedure for canning butter? I’ve seen articles that say this is a no-no.

Me too. :) I'll make a separate thread on this in the Canning section - and post the link to it here.

Add link: https://theoutdoortradingpost.com/showthread.php?20227-Canning-Butter-almost

BucketBack
10-23-2022, 07:52 AM
Water bath canner and 2 flats of wide mouth quarts showed up the other day. Pressure canner is awaiting shipping

Chiefster23
10-28-2022, 10:14 AM
Yesterday I topped up all my gas cans with non-ethanol gas. Also topped up the furnace FO tank, tractor fuel tank, and filled all my DO cans. Diesel shortages are coming! $5.58 per gallon for off-road diesel.

1skrewsloose
10-28-2022, 01:59 PM
Yep, a while back hardware store next town over had sta-bil on sale for $8 a qt., bought 6, couldn't afford more or I would have.

Inor
10-31-2022, 07:58 PM
I keep hearing that we may run out of diesel soon. Since I had one empty 5 gallon jug, I thought I should get it filled today. While in town, I decided to stop by Tractor Supply and pick up another 5 gallon jug because you cannot have too much diesel. But as I was standing in the diesel jug aisle in Tractor Supply, I decided I should really have more than 3 jugs, so I bought them (all of them). After filling them, (I had to run it on 3 transactions since the diesel pump shut off automatically at $100), I should now have enough diesel for the tractor for a year - maybe more.

Slippy
10-31-2022, 08:18 PM
And that is how it is done!:bigthumbup:

I keep hearing that we may run out of diesel soon. Since I had one empty 5 gallon jug, I thought I should get it filled today. While in town, I decided to stop by Tractor Supply and pick up another 5 gallon jug because you cannot have too much diesel. But as I was standing in the diesel jug aisle in Tractor Supply, I decided I should really have more than 3 jugs, so I bought them (all of them). After filling them, (I had to run it on 3 transactions since the diesel pump shut off automatically at $100), I should now have enough diesel for the tractor for a year - maybe more.

Michael_Js
10-31-2022, 09:11 PM
Still closing down the garden. My wife already collected carrot seeds, from last year's that we left. I've collected green & jalapeno peppers, Roma & cherry tomatoes, and just finished gathering arugula seeds (small little things...). My wife is drying oregano seeds for next year and for use in the chicken coop yard.

We also canned 3 more dehydrated & marinated Roma tomato jars! Yum! What's left is getting blight since we already started cooler weather and constant rain. Still have some eggplants left, and haven't started harvesting the butternut squash (next weekend). Will also cut the asparagus tops and put them to bed for the winter.

We also put all the hoses and the garden drip lines into their sheds for sleepy time...Put the hoops on the garlic bed and over the artichokes and filled both with leaves.

Chiefster23
11-01-2022, 05:30 AM
Anyone here ever use SUPERB canning lids? I saw and article yesterday saying that these are 100% American made and very high quality. I’ve never heard of them before. They are available pretty cheap from a company called AZURE STANDARD. Opinions?

Chiefster23
11-01-2022, 05:33 AM
I also stock six plastic cans of DO. Each is 6 gallons. I’ve been thinking of getting a steel 55 gallon drum and filling/using it instead of the plastic cans. 55 gallons would also last me a whole year with my tractor. But it’s hard to find a used 55 gallon steel drum around here.

There’s a lot of hoopla over the DO shortage. Just consider this, yes the reserve capacity is going down. But refineries are also continuously adding new fuel into the system. So we are not going to run out. But there will be shortages and price increases. But there will not be a complete absence of DO available. It’s just going to get more expensive. Just what Biden and his crew want!

Inor
11-01-2022, 08:03 AM
I also stock six plastic cans of DO. Each is 6 gallons. I’ve been thinking of getting a steel 55 gallon drum and filling/using it instead of the plastic cans. 55 gallons would also last me a whole year with my tractor. But it’s hard to find a used 55 gallon steel drum around here.

There’s a lot of hoopla over the DO shortage. Just consider this, yes the reserve capacity is going down. But refineries are also continuously adding new fuel into the system. So we are not going to run out. But there will be shortages and price increases. But there will not be a complete absence of DO available. It’s just going to get more expensive. Just what Biden and his crew want!

I prefer the 5 gallon cans even though it is quite a bit more expensive than buying a single drum and pump. Primarily it is a matter of simplicity. I do not want to have to load up a big damn drum, fill it, then have to figure out how to get it out of the back of my truck. No matter which way I go, I am not going to be buying enough per year to get somebody to deliver it cheap. So for me, having several 5 gallon cans is just much easier to manage. Plus, if/when I screw up and run the tractor out of fuel in the pasture, it is easier to bring a 5 gallon can to it to refuel.

Prepared One
11-01-2022, 09:38 AM
I prefer the 5 gallon cans even though it is quite a bit more expensive than buying a single drum and pump. Primarily it is a matter of simplicity. I do not want to have to load up a big damn drum, fill it, then have to figure out how to get it out of the back of my truck. No matter which way I go, I am not going to be buying enough per year to get somebody to deliver it cheap. So for me, having several 5 gallon cans is just much easier to manage. Plus, if/when I screw up and run the tractor out of fuel in the pasture, it is easier to bring a 5 gallon can to it to refuel.

I left my gas storage storage back in Katy along with the Jerry cans. (I simply ran out of time to get everything) So now I am replacing the that storage. Going back with Jerry cans. 5 or 6 should suffice and it is much easier to work with the Jerry cans rather then a drum. Between the propane storage and the gas I'll have on hand I will be able to run the gens and the side by side for quite a while after an event. After that we go old school.

MountainGirl
11-01-2022, 10:02 AM
We're ready for old school, too.
MG brought some skills to Texas.

BucketBack
11-01-2022, 11:04 AM
I left my gas storage storage back in Katy along with the Jerry cans. (I simply ran out of time to get everything) So now I am replacing the that storage. Going back with Jerry cans. 5 or 6 should suffice and it is much easier to work with the Jerry cans rather then a drum. Between the propane storage and the gas I'll have on hand I will be able to run the gens and the side by side for quite a while after an event. After that we go old school.

I'm looking for a "deal" on a wood burner for the Man Cave / pole barn to keep it warm when the propane runs out. I may even have to sleep out there.

Sparkyprep
11-01-2022, 03:46 PM
I'm looking for a "deal" on a wood burner for the Man Cave / pole barn to keep it warm when the propane runs out. I may even have to sleep out there.

Planning on getting in trouble? LOL!

Jester-ND
11-01-2022, 05:12 PM
filled my 550 gal gas tank, been freeze drying apples before they go bad. then have 200lb of moose burger to freeze dry... deer season open on friday so I need to make some freezer space for 4 tags.

Slippy
11-01-2022, 05:45 PM
Planning on getting in trouble? LOL!

He's "preparing"! :headbang:

1skrewsloose
11-02-2022, 10:02 PM

That's funny, went out to Mesa and stay at my daughter's apt with her boyfriend, the wife snores, we were set to sleep on the couch and air bed. I ended up sleeping in the rental car, starting it up and cranking up heat when I got cold. Fun times.

BucketBack
11-03-2022, 06:02 AM
When she snores, the O2 mask isn't on. The mini- fridge is handy at 1 am next to the Lazy Boy as it is.

T-Man 1066
11-04-2022, 11:08 AM
Paid off my Home Depot credit card.

Added more cash to my saving account at the Bank of Hills Bros...

Sparkyprep
11-04-2022, 03:30 PM
Paid off my Home Depot credit card.

Added more cash to my saving account at the Bank of Hills Bros...

You got one of those too!

T-Man 1066
11-04-2022, 03:41 PM
You got one of those too!

The only bank that I "trust"...

Michael_Js
11-05-2022, 01:46 PM
OK, the garden is mostly cleaned out and ready for next year. Removed all the butternut squash, tomatoes, and eggplants. Repotted a few pepper plants into the greenhouse - they probably won't last. Trimmed all asparagus and covered the bed with leaves. My wife moved the lemon & avocado plants into the greenhouse.

We also still have Brussels sprouts, carrots, kale, cilantro, broccoli, and strawberries (which won't last long...)

Does anyone know what kind of squash the green ones are? They were in the straight neck squash bed and I don't recall planting them...Oh, my wife also stacked and made some kindling on the side of the patio for the winter season - we already made our first fire last night - 20's next week at night!

StratBastard
11-09-2022, 08:34 PM
Put back another case of bourbon. Every time I check the stock, it seems suspiciously low somehow. Can't quite figure it.

Slippy
11-12-2022, 08:19 AM
1000 rounds of 10mm 180 grain FMJ and a mil spec 50 cal ammo can to (hopefully) store some of this 10mm goodness!

Prepared One
11-12-2022, 08:43 AM
Put back another case of bourbon. Every time I check the stock, it seems suspiciously low somehow. Can't quite figure it.

I have that very same problem! What do you suppose could be going on? :biglaugh:

T-Man 1066
11-12-2022, 10:24 AM
I have that very same problem! What do you suppose could be going on? :biglaugh:

Evaporation, or every one of them gots a hole in the bottom.

My story...

1skrewsloose
11-12-2022, 10:37 AM
We all know what causes a man to drink...democrats.

Slippy
11-12-2022, 12:00 PM
We all know what causes a man to drink...democrats.

wives, kids, taxes, government, dumbasses, jobs, etc etc etc

:pirateflag:

Prepared One
11-12-2022, 06:01 PM
wives, kids, taxes, government, dumbasses, jobs, etc etc etc

:pirateflag:

I was about to say........

SOCOM42
11-12-2022, 07:03 PM
Shopping today at Wally World, I bought a bunch of canned hams, no refrigeration needed.

The best by date is 2027, a couple will go in each Jeep and the rest on the shelf.

First time I have seen any hams in a couple of years.

Spaghetti shelf was still bare, there were a few boxes of other pasta but not much.

I hate going there on the weekend, place was packed, weekday mornings are the best around 10 AM.

StratBastard
11-12-2022, 11:15 PM
Shopping today at Wally World, I bought a bunch of canned hams, no refrigeration needed.

The best by date is 2027, a couple will go in each Jeep and the rest on the shelf.

First time I have seen any hams in a couple of years.

Spaghetti shelf was still bare, there were a few boxes of other pasta but not much.

I hate going there on the weekend, place was packed, weekday mornings are the best around 10 AM.

Those canned hams are still a great prep deal. Breakfast meat for like 4 people for $4.97? Can't beat it. I have a good stack of them, but always buy another one every time I'm at Wally World.

Chiefster23
11-13-2022, 04:48 AM
Canned hams are very scarce around here. Seldom see any on the shelves. Pasta is pretty thin at the local Walmart. Interesting note; a few week back I split a 40 pound bulk pack of skinless boneless chicken breasts at over $3 per pound with a buddy. Today that same package is advertised at $1.20 per pound. WTF?

Prepared One
11-13-2022, 07:14 AM
I was at Wally World yesterday and the pasta and spaghetti sauce isle was real thin. The meats as well were sparse and expensive. With the last debacle of an election it will only get worse.

SOCOM42
11-13-2022, 08:04 AM
Those canned hams are still a great prep deal. Breakfast meat for like 4 people for $4.97? Can't beat it. I have a good stack of them, but always buy another one every time I'm at Wally World.

Yours were $4.97? Mine were $3.69 a can I think, was well under 4 and that caught my attention along with the availability.

When I said a bunch, I don't know yet how many I bought, I just cleaned the shelf off.

Like I said, have not seen any for two plus years at Wally or BJ's, so I jumped.

At the self check out, I sit next to the bag rack and bag what the kid scans, still did not count them

Picked up a few extra cans of Campbells chunky soup and 5# of 80% h-burg also.

Planning on putting in another freezer soon, will be for meats only,

will do it when I get off my dead ass and move out the pellet stove. buying the freezer black Friday and storing it until needed.

Need to go and work on guns today, only source of income, has been that way now for 16 years.

Also need to go and get a new air pressure regulator/water trap combo, broke the one on my plasma cutter, don't ask.

White Shadow
11-13-2022, 03:39 PM
I was at Wally World yesterday and the pasta and spaghetti sauce isle was real thin. The meats as well were sparse and expensive. With the last debacle of an election it will only get worse.

If Sam's/Walmart did the same type of math on other people's pasta orders as they did my recent one I described in another thread then it would totally make sense why they are running low.

SOCOM42
11-13-2022, 05:06 PM
If Sam's/Walmart did the same type of math on other people's pasta orders as they did my recent one I described in another thread then it would totally make sense why they are running low.

I hope you did not eat it all since purchase, ratholed it like me???

Wally World where I shop has been short on pasta since the COVID outbreak.

The spaghetti type pasta is the emptiest of all of the types, fettuccini is next,

shelves have been completely bare of two brand names and the store brand.

Every so often, some shows up and is gone real fast, and it is not the store brands making a showing.

I have plenty put away, they are of spaghetti, elbows, bow ties and fettuccini.

I have been watching the shelves for one brand of fettuccini for two months, when it shows I will grab 20 pounds of it.

The last time this brand showed I grabbed 20 pounds, I may even get 30 next time.

I did grab a half dozen jars of Ragu yesterday also, have plenty on the shelf now,

my use of ready stuff (not long term packaged) will go well into next year.

There was plenty of this brand on the shelves yesterday, all different mixes.

Going there yesterday sucked, had too many people to suite me.

There is this one coon that guards the exit door and randomly ask for your sales slip,

I told him to fu@k off in a nice manner a while back.

Told him once, that the slip was my property and he had no right to look at it, that to include whatever is in the cart.

Also that he would need a search warrant to do so IF he was a LEO.

I give him a stare as I walk past him, he has stopped asking me for the slip.

We are real anal about what we run through the register, we make no mistakes,

kid has plenty of register savvy after using one for 10 years in the gun shop.

StratBastard
11-13-2022, 06:20 PM
Yours were $4.97? Mine were $3.69 a can I think, was well under 4 and that caught my attention along with the availability.

When I said a bunch, I don't know yet how many I bought, I just cleaned the shelf off.

Like I said, have not seen any for two plus years at Wally or BJ's, so I jumped.

At the self check out, I sit next to the bag rack and bag what the kid scans, still did not count them

Picked up a few extra cans of Campbells chunky soup and 5# of 80% h-burg also.

Planning on putting in another freezer soon, will be for meats only,

will do it when I get off my dead ass and move out the pellet stove. buying the freezer black Friday and storing it until needed.

Need to go and work on guns today, only source of income, has been that way now for 16 years.

Also need to go and get a new air pressure regulator/water trap combo, broke the one on my plasma cutter, don't ask.

Yeah, $3,69 sounds right, got it mixed up with the corned beef.

StratBastard
11-13-2022, 06:33 PM

I'm pretty good to go on pastas, rice, and beans. Almost have my canned meats right where I need them too. Good thing, they're going to go through the roof. I put back another case of 12 canned hamburger. As far as sauces, I have a lot of Del Monte and store generic canned spag sauce. But mostly I buy the dry envelopes from the spice aisle: gravies, sauces, powdered sour cream, burrito/taco/fajita spice mixes, etc.... I have enough variety now to not get bored with meals.

Prepared One
11-14-2022, 08:55 AM
I'm pretty good to go on pastas, rice, and beans. Almost have my canned meats right where I need them too. Good thing, they're going to go through the roof. I put back another case of 12 canned hamburger. As far as sauces, I have a lot of Del Monte and store generic canned spag sauce. But mostly I buy the dry envelopes from the spice aisle: gravies, sauces, powdered sour cream, burrito/taco/fajita spice mixes, etc.... I have enough variety now to not get bored with meals.

Yep, we have plenty of pasta including spaghetti in mylar. Now it's a matter of picking up what we need as we go so we are not getting into our storage. MG is adding to our storage with her canning so now we it's a matter of how best to store it. Our attic is huge and very well insulated so I am thinking perhaps we run AC and heat up there just enough to maintain equal temp throughout the year.

BucketBack
11-14-2022, 09:56 AM
I don't even have room for venison tomorrow. Saturday we spent $115 at Birds Meat Market and spent Sunday bagging and eating up the meats.

3 Fridges, and 3 freezers full. Picked up a 16 qt Sears Pressure Canner and Enameled Pot for $30.

The decision was made to keep 2 housleholds, 5 miles apart, up and ready. Mainly since both places have enough food to stay in place for a year, with more food coming and going daily.

I just walked the 1/4 mile back there and put the fire mostly out, waiting for reprisal now.

BucketBack
11-18-2022, 12:47 AM
Picking up 18 turkeys for Benny's House this morning. Schools are closed and there may be some no shows today for turkey dinner fixings

I just had 4 - 235 / 75 / 16 HanKook Dynapro AT 2 Extremes put on for 8 C Notes. Awesome stopping on slick snotty snow

Inor
11-19-2022, 09:10 PM
I have been going through all my tools the last couple months and making a list of the ones I absolutely do not want to live without and ordering common spare parts for them before the parts become unavailable. Today, it was 2 extra carburetors, 6 fuel filters and 6 extra spark plugs for my log splitter.

I thought I already had everything to keep my chainsaws going but then I got to thinking I should also keep a couple extra clutch assemblies for each. So, those will be next (after I work up the motivation to take them apart and get the part numbers).

Otherwise, I should be in pretty good shape to keep most of my critical tools running well for several years.

T-Man 1066
11-20-2022, 08:58 AM
Today's prep is to continue NOT going to urban nightclubs...

https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/shooting-colorado-nightclub/2022/11/20/id/1097204/

MountainGirl
11-23-2022, 07:09 PM
Started round two of drying/powdering eggs this morning.
Picked up 10 dozen yesterday, large and fresh laid, $3.00/doz.
They're $4.80-5.00/doz at the stores..and were med-small eggs in the cartons that said Large.

BucketBack
12-01-2022, 12:07 AM
I picked up a Bee Keepers Top, priced at $25, half off at $12.50. Mrs BB bought $12 in clothes, with $6 off in LOVE Bucks.

The bill came to $9.

Mrs BB used to run the new register, but the rest were unable to follow.

This will aid in my annual spring kill all stingy flying things mission.

Like in the propane tank cover, cable box cover, in da boat, under the carport.........

BucketBack
12-02-2022, 05:08 PM
40 lbs of MeatChix breast for $50 at Birds, and 5 lbs of Dutch Farms cheese slices for $15

Plus 2 lbs of bacon for the mechanic tip

BucketBack
12-03-2022, 08:17 AM
Today I start bagging up 1 -2 breasts at a time in Triumph quart storage bags, then pack a Triumph gallon Storage and Freezer Bag.

We we're going to can, but I hate canned chicken in salads or stir fry, and the Mrs has a couple Filipino Gal Friends to compete with.

TJC44
12-03-2022, 03:48 PM
You could call this a prep of sorts.

Updated info in what I call a "Contingency Binder"

It contains vital stats, insurance policy info, life, health, homeowner's, auto, retirement (I now count 3 separate retirement accounts) other accounts, should others need to find it after my untimely demise. (no, not expecting Clintoncide, just a just in in case).
I need to add more, but the basics are there.

T-Man 1066
12-03-2022, 04:56 PM
You could call this a prep of sorts.

Updated info in what I call a "Contingency Binder"

It contains vital stats, insurance policy info, life, health, homeowner's, auto, retirement (I now count 3 separate retirement accounts) other accounts, should others need to find it after my untimely demise. (no, not expecting Clintoncide, just a just in in case).
I need to add more, but the basics are there.

I desperately need to do this... T-Woman has some disabilities, and would need more than average help.

"It's on the list"

Them words to be inscribed in my tombstone upon my calling from the Lord...

1skrewsloose
12-03-2022, 05:42 PM
Today I start bagging up 1 -2 breasts at a time in Triumph quart storage bags, then pack a Triumph gallon Storage and Freezer Bag.

We we're going to can, but I hate canned chicken in salads or stir fry, and the Mrs has a couple Filipino Gal Friends to compete with.

What are and where do you get "Triumph storage/freezer bags", I did a search and all I got was stuff related to motorcycles.

Thanks.

SOCOM42
12-03-2022, 06:09 PM
Well, today my additional freezer was delivered, a 6 cubic foot one, going right beside the big kitchen reefer.

It will hold the use frequently stuff, this will keep me from bending down to get my Ego's every day, twice.

Now I have to figure where to put the 4,000 rounds, 12 mags, two bandoliers and two guns that occupied the space.

That is two freezers and a fridge in the house and one each in the shop.

I can dedicate some of the chest space to more meds.

Grabbed 10 pounds of store brand spaghetti at wally world today, first time it has been on the shelf in about 2 years.

The stuff was cheap 2 @ $.73 a pound.

The canned hams I spoke about around a week ago were not there this trip, cleaned them out the last time though.

There was only Store brand chicken noodle soup in the store brands of soup, all else was gone, I like their barley and sausage one.

Slippy
12-03-2022, 06:23 PM
Well, today my additional freezer was delivered, a 6 cubic foot one, going right beside the big kitchen reefer.

It will hold the use frequently stuff, this will keep me from bending down to get my Ego's every day, twice.

Now I have to figure where to put the 4,000 rounds, 12 mags, two bandoliers and two guns that occupied the space.

That is two freezers and a fridge in the house and one each in the shop.

I can dedicate some of the chest space to more meds.

Grabbed 10 pounds of store brand spaghetti at wally world today, first time it has been on the shelf in about 2 years.

The stuff was cheap 2 @ $.73 a pound.

The canned hams I spoke about around a week ago were not there this trip, cleaned them out the last time though.

There was only Store brand chicken noodle soup in the store brands of soup, all else was gone, I like their barley and sausage one.

It doesn't ever surprise me to hear my Man SOCOM42 talk bout having 4000 rounds of ammo at random places in his house! What surprises me is that he eats Ego's 2 times a day! :bigthumbup:

SOCOM42
12-03-2022, 06:58 PM
It doesn't ever surprise me to hear my Man SOCOM42 talk bout having 4000 rounds of ammo at random places in his house! What surprises me is that he eats Ego's 2 times a day! :bigthumbup:

Have them twice a day, breakfast and then with three O'clock tea.

StratBastard
12-03-2022, 07:28 PM

I had to get creative with the ammo here at my new place too. Closets, cabinets, etc.... Under my bed, I have maybe 2 dozen 20mm ammo cans full. If I ever disappear on you guys, It's probably because I flopped my old carcass into bed and the whole kit and kaboodle went through the floor.

Inor
12-03-2022, 07:38 PM
We processed our fall batch of meat chickens this morning. We had 21 Freedom Ranger meat chickens that we got as chicks about 3 months ago. Last night, Mrs Inor and I went out to a local diner for supper and ran into our fence builder and his wife. They mentioned getting some new egg chickens so he brought over 14 old egg chickens for us to process. So in total, we did 35 chickens today. Unfortunately, as soon as we started working, it started raining and continued all day. By the end of the job, we were all soaking wet and freezing our asses off. But, we now have more than enough chicken to last the next 6 months and plenty to give away to neighbors as well.

For whatever it is worth, today was our first experience processing egg chickens... If any of you are looking for advice on processing egg chickens: DON'T! They are MUCH smaller than the Freedom Rangers, which make them a hell of lot more difficult to clean. Plus these were so old (somewhere around 4 years), they were damn near impossible to get all the feathers out. Still, they will be good enough for soups and stews. We gave several to a neighbor who is from Loosiana. She is going to make us some Jambolaya.

All in all, another GREAT day!!!

hawgrider
12-03-2022, 08:45 PM
We processed our fall batch of meat chickens this morning. We had 21 Freedom Ranger meat chickens that we got as chicks about 3 months ago. Last night, Mrs Inor and I went out to a local diner for supper and ran into our fence builder and his wife. They mentioned getting some new egg chickens so he brought over 14 old egg chickens for us to process. So in total, we did 35 chickens today. Unfortunately, as soon as we started working, it started raining and continued all day. By the end of the job, we were all soaking wet and freezing our asses off. But, we now have more than enough chicken to last the next 6 months and plenty to give away to neighbors as well.

For whatever it is worth, today was our first experience processing egg chickens... If any of you are looking for advice on processing egg chickens: DON'T! They are MUCH smaller than the Freedom Rangers, which make them a hell of lot more difficult to clean. Plus these were so old (somewhere around 4 years), they were damn near impossible to get all the feathers out. Still, they will be good enough for soups and stews. We gave several to a neighbor who is from Loosiana. She is going to make us some Jambolaya.

All in all, another GREAT day!!!

Laying hens whether they are a year old or 6 years old are tougher than a cobb. Stew pot or pressure cook only.

TJC44
12-03-2022, 08:51 PM
I desperately need to do this... T-Woman has some disabilities, and would need more than average help.

"It's on the list"

O.K. T-Man,
Time to move it to the top of the list.
You don't know what may happen tomorrow. A
car wreck, a fire, hit crossing the street. Do it now.

Not for you, For her.

TJC44
12-03-2022, 09:06 PM
I had to get creative with the ammo here at my new place too. Closets, cabinets, etc.... Under my bed, I have maybe 2 dozen 20mm ammo cans full. If I ever disappear on you guys, It's probably because I flopped my old carcass into bed and the whole kit and kaboodle went through the floor.

I have to ask, do the 20mm cans contain 20 mm? And where in the lake did this thing go overboard, so I can go fishing with a magnet?

StratBastard
12-03-2022, 09:17 PM
I have to ask, do the 20mm cans contain 20 mm? And where in the lake did this thing go overboard, so I can go fishing with a magnet?

LOL no, no 20mm. Just the regular stuff: .223, 5.56, 308, 12, 410 and 20 gauge, .22, 38/357, 9mm, .45, .40, 30-30.

Inor
12-03-2022, 09:19 PM
Laying hens whether they are a year old or 6 years old are tougher than a cobb. Stew pot or pressure cook only.

Indeed. After the first two, we did not even bother trying to salvage the wings and necks. We did save the gizzards, but the wings and necks just got whacked off and thrown into the yote bucket. They will work okay for soup or stew or the dogs, but...

On the meat chickens, this was our second batch of Freedom Rangers and I cannot sing their praises high enough. They do take a little longer to raise than those white chickens they sell at the grocery store. But they taste WAY better - far more "chicken-ey". Chicken has always been one of those meats that I never got too excited about. We eat it, but largely it was always something to eat because it has calories and is fast and easy to fix. But since we started raising the Freedom Rangers, I actually look forward to "chicken night" most weeks. It obviously still does not compete with beef, but at least it is more than just flavorless empty calories now.

TJC44
12-03-2022, 09:31 PM
LOL no, no 20mm. Just the regular stuff: .223, 5.56, 308, 12, 410 and 20 gauge, .22, 38/357, 9mm, .45, .40, 30-30.

<------Disappointed at not seeing a 20mm cannon.

StratBastard
12-03-2022, 09:39 PM

Me too brother... I'm starting to feel like we might all need one soon. :bazooka:

TJC44
12-03-2022, 09:52 PM
Me too brother... I'm starting to feel like we might all need one soon. :bazooka:

No shit. Reading some of these posts, I feel so inadequate. :second:

hawgrider
12-04-2022, 07:27 AM
Indeed. After the first two, we did not even bother trying to salvage the wings and necks. We did save the gizzards, but the wings and necks just got whacked off and thrown into the yote bucket. They will work okay for soup or stew or the dogs, but...

On the meat chickens, this was our second batch of Freedom Rangers and I cannot sing their praises high enough. They do take a little longer to raise than those white chickens they sell at the grocery store. But they taste WAY better - far more "chicken-ey". Chicken has always been one of those meats that I never got too excited about. We eat it, but largely it was always something to eat because it has calories and is fast and easy to fix. But since we started raising the Freedom Rangers, I actually look forward to "chicken night" most weeks. It obviously still does not compete with beef, but at least it is more than just flavorless empty calories now.

3 months is a long time. When we did meat birds way way back when average growth period depending on breed was around 8 to 10 weeks. By then they couldn't even stand up hardly from being so fat and lazy.

Chiefster23
12-04-2022, 07:47 AM

"It's on the list"

My wife pays zero attention to what it takes to maintain the finances, taxes, and misc shit to keep this household running. If I died tomorrow she would be clueless on what to do. So I made up a folder with all credit card and bank account numbers with contact info. Also instructions and numbers for dealing with SS, RR, annuities, and IRA. Insurance policies and phone numbers, also. I also made up a list of keys to all locks and made up a complete set of labeled spares. All titles and deeds are in one place. And I insured all my stuff has updated beneficiaries named. I tried to make this as easy as possible. I also keep a notebook where I keep track of all monthly bills and expenses. It would be very easy to just look at that book and continue with my system to keep the household running. Actually, all but one of my recurring monthly bills are charged to one credit card so it is only necessary to pay off that one card monthly to keep everything on autopilot.

BucketBack
12-04-2022, 08:08 AM
What are and where do you get "Triumph storage/freezer bags", I did a search and all I got was stuff related to motorcycles.

Thanks.

Sav-A-Lot carries Truimph plastic products.

The double lock zippers were difficult at best to close yesterday and I spoke about them all day long

BucketBack
12-04-2022, 09:02 AM
My wife pays zero attention to what it takes to maintain the finances, taxes, and misc shit to keep this household running. If I died tomorrow she would be clueless on what to do. So I made up a folder with all credit card and bank account numbers with contact info. Also instructions and numbers for dealing with SS, RR, annuities, and IRA. Insurance policies and phone numbers, also. I also made up a list of keys to all locks and made up a complete set of labeled spares. All titles and deeds are in one place. And I insured all my stuff has updated beneficiaries named. I tried to make this as easy as possible. I also keep a notebook where I keep track of all monthly bills and expenses. It would be very easy to just look at that book and continue with my system to keep the household running. Actually, all but one of my recurring monthly bills are charged to one credit card so it is only necessary to pay off that one card monthly to keep everything on autopilot.

I'm doing another lady bird quit claim deed with the Mrs on it, and all beneficaries also.

Current person on deed owes me $$$, and he told to just take it out of my bank if I was worried about it, since it's already his.
He also wouldn't put me up at his place when I was down there for my GodFathers funeral. He said he needed to close it up correctly before he headed to work and I wouldn't be ready in the morning, so just move on..

In other words, he doesn't understand at 62

SOCOM42
12-04-2022, 09:14 AM

That was my most wanted weapon!

I wanted a 20MM Oerlikon AAA cannon.

I was arraigning for one with three drums and 200 rounds of APT.

The friggin feds changed the laws that year, 1968 and out went the gun.

I did have a Lahti 20 MM antitank gun, but had to sell it, at least I had that for 10 years.

Slippy
12-04-2022, 09:45 AM

Excellent idea Chief!

When Dad died, Mom was clueless. Still is on most things but a little better. I will say, she has lived on a small budget for such a long time that she doesn't really know HOW to spend money!

1930's Depression Babies were taught out of necessity I suppose!

BucketBack
12-04-2022, 09:55 AM
The discussion of reusing bread bags and ziplocs came up last night
Ages were 61,64, and 68

64 and 68 still do, I put brass or lead in them or a combo of the two.

Slippy
12-04-2022, 10:08 AM
The discussion of reusing bread bags and ziplocs came up last night
Ages were 61,64, and 68

64 and 68 still do, I put brass or lead in them or a combo of the two.

I have come to the conclusion that Old People's Habits are based upon;

How Much They Love, :blow:
OR
How Much They Hate...their offspring or heirs! :mocking:

Because, someone has to go thru all this shit when we die! :grim:

MountainGirl
12-11-2022, 07:47 AM
Now that we're home, retired, and staying put - I've begun a new kind of prepping: Medicinal. Natural remedies using Herbs. Over winter I'll be learning, starting seeds indoors, planning out the herb garden, etc. PO's contribution will be procuring (at minimum, to start) 6-gallons of cheap Vodka - to use for the tincture solutions. :)

Prepared One
12-11-2022, 08:29 AM
Now that we're home, retired, and staying put - I've begun a new kind of prepping: Medicinal. Natural remedies using Herbs. Over winter I'll be learning, starting seeds indoors, planning out the herb garden, etc. PO's contribution will be procuring (at minimum, to start) 6-gallons of cheap Vodka - to use for the tincture solutions. :)

I drink enough of the Vodka I won't care what malady or disease I got. :dancingguy:

BucketBack
12-14-2022, 06:18 AM

Members Mark Vodka is being sold at local party stores, it's cheap and mixes well with black cherry koolaid and stevia

It was $13.95 for the big bottle, 1.75 liter??

Prepared One
12-14-2022, 07:06 AM
This week I got a security light and a camera on the wood/tool shed. Since it houses one of the back up generators, an emergency AC unit, propane and gas storage along with a bunch of preps I wanted lights and eyes on it. It's an important out building. Here in the deep woods on this back road leading to nowhere I am not to worried about somebody breaking in, but I still have that city mentality. If it ain't chained, lighted, locked, and booby trapped, some dumbass will try and steal it.

Also this week, I will fire up the gen we keep out on the carport. We are prone to Icing come Jan. and Feb. and that means downed power lines. We keep that gen under the carport, chained to a pole and covered, because it's close to the power pole and transfer plug. Power goes out, I simply walk out, plug in, and crank it up. All without getting wet or having to go out into the storm.

MountainGirl
12-20-2022, 05:47 PM
Received some supplies for new prep efforts (herbal meds), continued studying, etc -
Got another 6 dozen eggs to dehydrate; ended up keeping two for us to eat now since they're $6 at the stores; dried the other 4 dozen.
Dried cranberries, sausages, mushrooms - cheese is on hold...still deciding which way to go on that.
Bought another round of jams/preserves for long-term; got more raw honey; reorganized kitchen
Told Verizon to kiss my ass, signed up with Patriot Mobile; took good drugs, got good sleep.
Yeah ok. That's all.

Broncosfan
12-20-2022, 08:20 PM
Ordered all the seed I need to start garden plants for spring 2023 planting.

StratBastard
12-21-2022, 12:49 AM
Bought a bunch of dried ranch dressing packets (.50 each) at WallyWorld. All you gotta do is add oil. I have a 7 gallon bucket of dried gravy, onion soup, mushroom, ranch, Italian, sauce, and other assorted stuff for making kinda dreary stuff taste pretty good. Gotta learn to hobo cook if you're going to prep.

Prepared One
12-21-2022, 10:41 AM
Hard freeze coming our way so I test fired the gen and she is ready to go. Need to get some of the outside plants covered. Got plenty of food, booze, wood, gas, and propane.

Sparkyprep
12-21-2022, 03:34 PM
Hard freeze coming our way so I test fired the gen and she is ready to go. Need to get some of the outside plants covered. Got plenty of food, booze, wood, gas, and propane.

Believe it or not, we are supposed to get a freeze here Saturday. Doing my prepping Friday morning.

SOCOM42
12-21-2022, 04:09 PM
Bought a bunch of dried ranch dressing packets (.50 each) at WallyWorld. All you gotta do is add oil. I have a 7 gallon bucket of dried gravy, onion soup, mushroom, ranch, Italian, sauce, and other assorted stuff for making kinda dreary stuff taste pretty good. Gotta learn to hobo cook if you're going to prep.

Ah, yes, a Mulligan stew!

I remember us doing that in the middle of winter with C-rats and local game, helped keep you warm in the bunker.

Texas Pete was always a player in the mix.

The foxes and other larger 4 legged critters kept away from our position, not the turkeys though, dumb there as here.

One of the squad members was from Tennessee backwoods country, expert with a snare for hare, tree rats too.

God, that was now 61 years ago, time flies.

It was 14 degrees F here this morning got up to 36 F in the afternoon, sun was shining, that was nice to see for a change.

Inor
12-21-2022, 09:59 PM

Mrs Inor uses EverClear brand for that kind of stuff. She says it works better than some of the cheaper ones. I have no idea about such things as that is her department. But we are both pretty healthy in the meantime so she must be doing something right...

Denton
12-21-2022, 10:09 PM
Mrs Inor uses EverClear brand for that kind of stuff. She says it works better than some of the cheaper ones. I have no idea about such things as that is her department. But we are both pretty healthy in the meantime so she must be doing something right...

Definitely.
Make a jar of propolis tincture with cheap vodka and a jar with Everclear. The difference is obvious.

Michael_Js
12-21-2022, 11:30 PM
We had a high of 25 deg today! Supposed to hit a high of 19 tomorrow!! Wow!

Right now, 14!! Yikes...

MountainGirl
12-22-2022, 04:34 AM

Definitely.
Make a jar of propolis tincture with cheap vodka and a jar with Everclear. The difference is obvious.

Right. Since a difference in 'taste' would be obvious - what differences did you find in efficacy in the jars you made? Did y'all make them or purchase them or ?

The material used is what determines what alcohol % works best - and 90% Everclear works better at extracting the harder stuff (roots, bark, berries, etc) - where the 50-60% vodka is sufficient for the more delicate herbs... and for me, using mostly dried herbs looks to be the ticket. Soon as I decide which ones will work best I'll be ordering a small quantity of each, testing their affects, and then bulking up. I started off thinking tinctures would be the ticket - but I'm starting to also like syrups the more I learn about their methodology... plus we kinda like the raw honey component. :)

I'd not heard of using propolis for a tincture - but I can see how it would need the 90-100% to extract LOL.

White Shadow
12-22-2022, 05:30 AM
Ordered all the seed I need to start garden plants for spring 2023 planting.

SOCOM42
12-22-2022, 09:05 AM
I will be running the genset this afternoon as a test for the coming big blow over the weekend.

Then hauling out a few extra propane tanks to run it, don't want to do that in the middle of a storm.

The temp here right now is 19 degrees, won't get much warmer into the afternoon.

On another note, I spoke about a new freezer I put in last week, here is the fun part of the whole friggin thing.

Was shutting the older freezer to defrost and clear out some stuff, make room for more meds.

Transferred the bulk of the contents to the new one after it had cooled down.

Switched the freezer off, nothing happened, the thing kept on running!!!

The pilot light was on with any position of the switch, tried to shut down the the T-stat, no luck there either.

That friggin thing kept on running, unplugged the sucker, that worked.

Now, I am not going to pull it apart and fix it, I am going to put a mechanical timer in the feed line.

I will play with the timing to get what is need to keep it frozen.

It then dawned on me that the compressor has been running 24/7 for who knows how long.

That is why I have never been able to get the electric bill down,

it will be interesting to see what happens to the electric bill now.

Even with the added freezer it has to come down, none of them hardly ever run much.

I do have a remote wireless digital thermometer to monitor it with, will adjust to keep at at least -10 F.

You walk by the wall mounted thermometers and they are all down where they belong, only concern is when temp is rising.

Never thinking there is a problem in the other direction.

Prepared One
12-22-2022, 09:14 AM
Believe it or not, we are supposed to get a freeze here Saturday. Doing my prepping Friday morning.

Yep, I understand the east coast will get the worst of it. I don't think it will be as bad as they say here but I am ready just the same.

Broncosfan
12-22-2022, 09:18 AM

Inor
Does Mrs. Inor use a certain proof for all her recipes or does you us a variety of proofs of EverClear?

Slippy
12-22-2022, 01:37 PM
I'm going to bash myself on this post so here it goes!

I had to drive 6 hours to pick up a product that we bought so I decided that I'd haul our camper and camp at a State Park in TN that we've seen. It was just me so I threw a sleeping bag & change of change of clothes into the truck, hooked up the travel trailer and headed out of town.

6 hours later I finished my errand, turned around and headed for the State Park.

By the time I get the trailer set up it was dark so I poured myself a few stiff drinks, and settled into the camper for a nice winter camping experience. The park was very quiet with a few campers spread out.

A few hours later and a few more stiff drinks, I decided to crank the heater on to take the chill out of the air. AND DRATS!!! NO PROPANE! No way was I going to venture out to a store to find a tank so I was stuck with the situation that I PUT MYSELF IN!

Luckily my sleeping bag is a cold weather rated bag and I had an extra fleece pullover and sweatpants in the truck so I was fine. Temp got down to 27 so no big deal.

Lesson learned, always prepare!

Edited to Add; I woke up once in the middle of night to take a piss and the toilet wouldn't flush. So I walked outside and my water hose had been unhooked and a note was on the faucet from the camp staff that there was a freeze warning and they were unhooking my water connection. I wish they had knocked on my door as I would have hit them up for a LP gas tank!

BucketBack
12-22-2022, 03:30 PM
ginger root

T-Man 1066
12-22-2022, 04:15 PM
Did you forget to top off propane, or do you have a slow leak or bad valve?